• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zupreem Pure Fun for Small Birds

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I couldn't find any close up pics of tge mixture, but I've been wondering if my Zupreem pure fun is mouldy. It was already like this when I got it. It did smell a bit odd but I couldnt tell if it was just meant to smell like that... could anyone advice?

Attachments

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Are those crumbs? I have never bought Pure Fun, but it looks weird to me and definitely not as photogenic as what the company puts out on their website for how the pellets are supposed to look: Pure Fun™ - ZuPreem I have bought Zupreem Naturals and the fruity ones and they do not have that much "crumbs" on them.

If you purchased at a store, could you exchange it and see if the second bag is the same?

Gazimon

Yea there's pale green powder and a legume-like smell. But I wasn't sure if it was from added ingredients or whatever fortifications.

I ordered from an online store so there isn't a storefront per say. I haven't found it yet on the shelves of bird stores here.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yea there's pale green powder and a legume-like smell. But I wasn't sure if it was from added ingredients or whatever fortifications.

I ordered from an online store so there isn't a storefront per say. I haven't found it yet on the shelves of bird stores here.
Contact Zupreem directly. They are very good at responding.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I had recently gotten a little baggie of it to bring home from a rescue with a new addition.
It did not have that crumbly stuff on it. I've used it up and did not order more (I can recreate it myself with other items I usually order, and that don't include those colored pellets) but I did not notice any weird smell beyond the fruity smell of the tiny colored pellets.

Gazimon

Thanks for the advice and inputs. I think I'll stop feeding it to my birds immediately. The funky smell is so strong I can't smell the pellets, and I know what the fruitblend pellets smells like.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If something smells off I toss it. Sometimes the nose knows!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Don't feed it if you think it's not right.

Call Zupreem, or the vendor. You need to try another bag. Those are fairly new, so most bags have a date code tbrough 2019 now.

Gazimon

Mine says its until 2019, but the sheer humidity and warmth while being transported through Southeast Asia could have accelerated the ick in any compromised bags

Gazimon

"Thanks for contacting us. It sound like this bag might have gotten crushed and the fried peas broke up in the bag and created the crumbly mess. We have had a few other comments like this and have seen this in a few stores. We are shipping this differently and it shouldn’t be a problem in the future. The food is safe to feed."

I think I'll email them the images to confirm...

Gazimon

"Yes, that is exactly what has happened. The peas have been crushed and created the powder. It is safe to feed. If you still feel hesitant you can take it back to your retailer to see if they will give you a refund or I can put you in touch with your local distributor"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Still seems odd about the smell! Freeze dried peas don't usually have much smell. But, good to know what that is supposed to be