• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ZooMed Cork Bark

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
So I've seen so many threads on here about cork and i want to try it with Ice!

I've seen lots of vendors on here who sell it and i just put an order in with Danita (T4W) but I've also seen that Petsmart sells cork bark "chunks" for aquariums by the brand Zoo Med.

I'm always wary of everything cause i know companies love to pump chemicals in things and i thought since amphibians and reptiles are so sensitive to the things around them that they would be maybe okay for Birds too.

I've emailed ZooMed to inquire about the cork and this is the response i got back:
Thank you for contacting us. Our cork bark is not painted at all, the only thing done to it is that it is heat treated before it is imported to our warehouse. It is entirely safe to use with birds, if you have any further questions please let me know!

What are your opinions?
I love to support the vendors here but I'm an impatient person and shipping to Canada always seems like it takes forever!. I just gotta make those toys NOW :lol:

I'd most likely bring it home and wash it in a bleach solution and sun bake it to get any store contact off it

Help is always appreciated:bliss:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't see a reason to not believe them. They do have a bird supply line.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I didn't know they had cork bark, but if it's safe, I may pick some up this weekend!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I would think you would never get all the bleach residue out of the porous bark.
If you feel a need to treat it somehow, try heating in a very low temp oven till you feel it's been long enough.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
OH i never thought about the porous bark! thank you so much!