• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoey is here!

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
Picked her up on Monday. She seemed just fine after her flight. Once home, she came out of her crate and scooted up to snuggle under my chin. We spent some cuddle time then I put her in her cage so she could get the lay of the land so to speak. This week has been a learning experience for both of us. She is very affectionate, but also independent which is great. She has been spending alot of out time on one of our hanging spheres if she is not on my lap or shoulder. She is mumbling and trying to talk already too. One thing I would like other cape owners to answer is if their bird screams. Zoey will start in about 6:30 and will not stop until I put her to bed which is about 8:00 my time or lately 7:30. (I started at 7:00 and have been increasing the time as the rest of my pets all go to bed at 8pm.) I am assuming it is her normal evening
vocalization or flock calling? I've tried giving her a nutriberry which she loves to "break" the routine, and it works for about 5 minutes. Am I missing something?

Anyway, she is a love and I'm glad she is here for sure!! Here are some pics of her on one of the spheres.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on bringing her home! She is beautiful!

Matt

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
She's a cutie!

And I had to deal with flock calling early on with Léa and had to ignore her for a few days and it subsided. I might try to fish out a blog post I had written about it.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I thought I had more details, but the post I'm thinking about may have actually been written on here.

Blog post - Just Poifect!: Léa update

I did look and a few posts after the one linked to above, I did say that the screaming/calling subsided with time.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
Thanks everyone! And, thank you @Shade - I thought maybe she was calling for her siblings, but was not sure.
It's good to know it will subside with time. :)

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Zoey is adorable!! Such a pretty girl.:heart:
Could she perhaps need a warm evening meal? Newly weaned and in a new home, she may need the reassurance of some nice, warm food.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very sweet! :heart: Congrats on your new baby! :dance5:

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I've tried the warm meals, and even tried handfeeding her. As a rule, I don't take my pet birds out at a certain time each day. I vary the times so that they do not get their inner clock set on coming out at that particular time. Tonite she finally quieted down on her own and I rewarded her with a nutri-berry, her favorite. She played for awhile and the it was nite-nite time. :) We'll get it figured out. Thank you all!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations!! Mali says "hi!" to her sister! :)

Mali would scream very loudly when she first arrived home - she was hungry and wanted comfort feedings. I see above you tried that - but what worked for her was the weaning pellets Maggie uses. I bought those and bam! Happy Mali. She ate them for a few months after coming home.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
Thanks @kcbee! Unfortunately I can't find Scenic weaning pellets anywhere around here in Idaho. I may have to look online.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I did find some online but to get it here would be about 2 weeks. Not sure if that is too long? In the meantime, I made some birdie bread this morning and put some sweet potato in it so we will see how she likes it. As soon as it cools somewhat I am going to hand-feed her little pieces of it.

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Zupreem Natural pellets work great as a weaning food, much like Scenic. When you put the pellets in very warm water they soak up and get soft and spongy, but don't fall apart. Then you can feed by hand or let her eat them on her own if she wants to. I give these to my birds in this form almost everyday, and they all love it as a warm, soft treat. Somehow they know when I'm preparing the pellets and they all start calling for it! I use the medium size pellets. Zupreem is usually readily available, so may be easy for you to pick up if you decide to give this a try. :)

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
Oh brother! I wish I had read this BEFORE I placed an online order for Scenic. I can get Zupreem natural
pellets at my local bird store! Well, it's about 25 miles from here, but that's local to me. I'll give them a call before I head out. Wish me luck!