• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoey (1/4/2006-12/28/2011)

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
It will be two years that my little princess has been gone (yes, "she" is a "he"). I always referred to Zoey as a girl, not because of her name, but how she acted. I never once saw her display male behavior. She roosted, demanded to be fed and preened. She was also just as bossy as any female budgie I know.

Zoey was my first bird. I remember getting her. It was a very irritating night with my then boyfriend. I wanted to get a bird, I had for a while. He did not want me to get one. I won the argument (or course ;)) and we went to Petco. There were so many budgies there. The one I wanted was chirping louder than the rest, sitting right at the front of the cage. After purchasing her, we drove home. I held onto her box, I could hear her little feet scratching around.

It did not take her long to become used to us. Eventually she got comfortable enough to snuggle under my chin. I used to kiss her little "grape" head. Zoey loved to preen my eye lashes. She never once bit me until the end. Zoey became ill quickly. She was having trouble breathing, she would click. I knew she was sick and it hurt so bad to watch her suffer. I took her to the vet, there was not much that could be done. She had hid whatever she had for so long, by the time we noticed it was too late. We tried to comfort her as best we could in her last weeks.

On the morning of December 28, 2011, Zoey was found at the bottom of her cage. She must have passed during the night. Fredrik was in a panic, he didn't understand. He kept calling her and calling her. I buried her in the backyard, under our flagpole. She was buried with a Fred feather and a Sammy feather. I wrote her a note telling her how much she meant to me and how I'll always love her. Tomorrow before leaving I will put flowers on her grave as I did the day she died, and one year ago.

Zoey, I love you. :sorrow:

-Mommy

And now I am crying.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: I share your pain. Two years on 12/20. Wishing you happy memories that make you smile :)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I lost Briana 2 years ago on October 25th. I still miss her and I still cry. :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I believe that those of us who've lost a beloved fid would each have given our lives if we could've saved that one fid of ours. Sadly for most of us, by the time our fid showed any signs of being ill it was too late to be able to save our loved one. And it hurts because, no matter how often we're told that it was out of our control, WE were supposed to protect, defend and save that one little feathered being, no matter what.

So we live with a regret that can't be reversed and yet, at the same time, a memory of a beloved creature that flitted into our lives and left only too soon. But, when I think back to my much loved Kiwi, I can smile when I think of the personality and joy of living that was in that Quaker girl.

For those of us on any avian forum, there is no such thing as "just a bird". That would be like saying "it's just a child" - there is no such thing. We are all different as are our companion creatures and humans. The loss of any life is to be mourned regardless of whose life it is ... :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
:hug8: It's been a year and a half since I lost Skye, my budgie. I still cry when I think of her and how short her life was. I totally understand how you feel. :hug8:

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
@SandraK - That was beautifully put. I would have done anything to save Zoey. But I couldn't save her. :sad1:

Two years ago today was the last time I saw my Zoey alive. I am grateful though that I was able to spend those years with such an amazing bird. It really was an honor to be her parront.

Thank you guys for being so understanding and giving me a shoulder to cry on. It means so much. :grouphug:

And, now I need the tissues again... :sad5:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I believe that those of us who've lost a beloved fid would each have given our lives if we could've saved that one fid of ours. Sadly for most of us, by the time our fid showed any signs of being ill it was too late to be able to save our loved one. And it hurts because, no matter how often we're told that it was out of our control, WE were supposed to protect, defend and save that one little feathered being, no matter what.

So we live with a regret that can't be reversed and yet, at the same time, a memory of a beloved creature that flitted into our lives and left only too soon. But, when I think back to my much loved Kiwi, I can smile when I think of the personality and joy of living that was in that Quaker girl.

For those of us on any avian forum, there is no such thing as "just a bird". That would be like saying "it's just a child" - there is no such thing. We are all different as are our companion creatures and humans. The loss of any life is to be mourned regardless of whose life it is ... :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:
So well stated. Thank you

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm not sure at what point one stops crying from the loss. Never? Two years isn't it.

Yes, we all get it. Tell us everything you need to say. My family and friends sure don't get it.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I remember holding her in my hand that day. I kissed her, hugged her, and cried on her. I didn't want to let her go. I wanted to puke. I felt so bad for Fred, he was so lost and confused. She had always been his world. He loved her. It was just such a range of horrible emotions. :sad1:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
In my case, it was Sunny, a cinnamon tiel I'd got as a companion to Kiwi, my Quaker girl. Sunny made me feel worse, if that was possible, because he kept looking for Kiwi in her cage and singing in hopes that she'd appear ... that made me realize that, as a parront, I was heartbroken but I wasn't the only one ... :( :(