• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoe's Vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My rehomed RFM can talk, but her voice is so scratchy it makes it hard to tell what she's saying (she sounds like a very petite chain-smoking 80-year-old granny). But, I'm gradually getting used to it, and yesterday, I made out some phrases I wasn't too pleased with :o: This is sad, because none of my other birds curse. She's also a closet talker. If I stand outside the room, I can hear her muttering things, but if I walk in, she won't say anything more than "hello." However, if I walk out, sometimes she will call after me. It sounds like she's saying "Angel! ...Angel!" This is odd to me, because her previous owner's name started with a "C" (We'll call her "Cathy"). To my knowledge she's had no other owner, well, except her breeder, whose name I don't know (Florida band).... Of course, I suppose anyone could have a relative or BF with that name.... But, here's the thing, I do call Elvis "Angel." She couldn't have picked that up that quickly, and be using it to refer to me as a pet name, could she? :huh:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My rehomed RFM can talk, but her voice is so scratchy it makes it hard to tell what she's saying (she sounds like a very petite chain-smoking 80-year-old granny).
:rofl:

But, here's the thing, I do call Elvis "Angel." She couldn't have picked that up that quickly, and be using it to refer to me as a pet name, could she? :huh:
I would bet she did pick it up from you.

She sounds like a real character

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would bet she did pick it up from you.

She sounds like a real character
She is. One minute she's a snuggly teddy bear, the next she's a crusty granny with a major 'tude :eek:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
.... But, here's the thing, I do call Elvis "Angel." She couldn't have picked that up that quickly, and be using it to refer to me as a pet name, could she? :huh:
Yep, a couple of weeks is more than enough time and RFMs are known to be one of the best talkers in the macaw family, some of whom boast vocabularies to make even a Grey green with envy. Fortunately, she's young and you should be able to steer Zoe (love that name) from voicing a few of the more colorful phrases she's learned in her former home to a selection of words you prefer. It could take some time though. :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Maybe the former owner called her Angel.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, a couple of weeks is more than enough time and RFMs are known to be one of the best talkers in the macaw family, some of whom boast vocabularies to make even a Grey green with envy.
Well, yes, she seems bright enough, a quick study overall. But, she's nowhere near Max in terms of talking ability. Not even close. However, that is probably partly because she's not been encouraged the way he has...

I do agree that I have time to work with her on this colorful language, though. I'm glad I can expose her to a more patient, loving and kindly mode of interaction.

Maybe the former owner called her Angel.
Yes, maybe...

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Well, I guess one thing to be grateful for is that the cussing is difficult to understand. It is VERY clear when Diego does it, and at the full on volume of a GW!
:omg::omg::hehe::hehe:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I guess one thing to be grateful for is that the cussing is difficult to understand. It is VERY clear when Diego does it, and at the full on volume of a GW!
:omg::omg::hehe::hehe:
:eek::laughing6: I haven't heard her drop the F-bomb yet, Debbie! I'm hoping that is NOT part of her arsenal :D

Kathy

My Grey started saying Beakner's name a day or two after we got Beakner so they can pick words up very quickly.. He wore it out like a broken record too.. still says it but not every second like before lol

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Grey started saying Beakner's name a day or two after we got Beakner so they can pick words up very quickly.. He wore it out like a broken record too.. still says it but not every second like before lol
Interesting... I guess what's throwing me is that she's not just repeating it. She's using it like a name, calling it out: "Angel!....Angel, what are you doing??" I don't do that with Elvis's pet name. I just say things like "C'mere, Angel sweetheart."

Kathy

Well, they can also add words to words. I say to sport.. "what you doing love?" and he took love and added it to things he says. He loves to call for my son so he will say, Brandon love. Things like that.. but it does sound like your bird may have known someone named Angel, or she is adding words to a word she's heard you say.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HAHAHAH! Sorry..I have a cussing Macaw that teaching Lola to cuss also. Its just bad all around. I am glad I am not religious...we will just say he is COLORFUL!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, they can also add words to words. I say to sport.. "what you doing love?" and he took love and added it to things he says. He loves to call for my son so he will say, Brandon love. Things like that.. but it does sound like your bird may have known someone named Angel, or she is adding words to a word she's heard you say.
Well, so, I guess either she's very verbally talented, and it just hasn't been developed. Or, she knew someone named Angel. LOL. I hope it's the former. :)

I'm glad you guys are helping me think this through, though, because I just realized that I've not yet heard her say anything that was not in context. Even the cussing is said at appropriate times (like when she wants me back in the bird room NOW! :D) So, maybe she did extract the name and put it with what she wanted to say....

HAHAHAH! Sorry..I have a cussing Macaw that teaching Lola to cuss also. Its just bad all around. I am glad I am not religious...we will just say he is COLORFUL!
Seems like it's always the big 'caws that are the worst cussers, huh? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.