• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zip Ties?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I have received so many toys lately that have zip ties on them, and have seen many recommendations to use them for cages, and other things. Is there a certain type to get or avoid for use around our babies?
Home Depot carries them, and I assume they aren't all the same. I see really thin ones ad thick ones even for foot toys; that happens to be my boys favorite currently.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I personally do not like anything that can expand and or change in shape like tighten up. What kind of toys are you getting that have them?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have used the small ones while making toys. Once tightened they will not come open or expand and you can cut off the excess. I would not use them to hang things though. I use them to tie pieces together.

Rolanda

I LIKE them and my boys really like those particular foot toys. They are tight, they hold straight and hold the beads perfectly. I was wondering which ones to use.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't mind zip ties for certain uses, usually where the bird can't reach as they snip them here. One thing to remember is when cut, they are very sharp! Sliced my hand open off one once.

Rolanda

The neat thing about the toys I got is they seemed to have double ends, so there weren't any sharp ends. The 'zipper' part was on both ends.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
A few years back I read about a Green Cheek who sliced his belly open on the end of a zip tie that was (I think) holding a toy in his cage... I think it was here? But since then I've been too afraid to use them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have special set of cutters for zip ties. I can take a picture in the AM (no flash on camera). but the only place I use them is on Bebe's cage. the top tends to pop off if you pick it up at the top.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm also a big fan of zip ties. I've used them a lot for security on cage doors and travel cages, and I feel a lot safer when everything is zipped in when moving birds out on the lawn in the sun.

Ohhhh that day I looked out and saw them sitting ON TOP OF the cages out on the lawn

Luckily my gang dont bother with zip ties at all, and I always make sure the sharp clipped end is outside the cage

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I always make sure the sharp clipped end is outside the cage
same here never on the inside of the cage only outside and with my special cutters there are no sharp edges.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
If you do cut them you can use a flame to soften and round the cut end if you don't have special shears. I like the simple toy webchirp made! You could even do a row of them in different colors. I don't think there is a specific type that is better to use, but I could be wrong!

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The neat thing about the toys I got is they seemed to have double ends, so there weren't any sharp ends. The 'zipper' part was on both ends.
:hehe::hehe: Did you get them from me? I have secret birdie safe zip tie skills...

Rolanda

@Laurie I think it was you, you devious Foot Toy dealer , you!:lol:My boys just LOVED those! (I PM'd you again on etsy).They did so well with them was trying to see if I could tryto turn some of these parts I have into some toys. I have no talent at it but wanted to give it a try. I didn't want to get zip ties that were bad for my boys.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@Laurie I think it was you, you devious Foot Toy dealer , you!:lol:My boys just LOVED those! (I PM'd you again on etsy).They did so well with them was trying to see if I could tryto turn some of these parts I have into some toys. I have no talent at it but wanted to give it a try. I didn't want to get zip ties that were bad for my boys.
I don't think it matters which ones you get but it does matter how you cut the ends. I don't often do loops (unless I am sure it can't tighten, I don't think I use it in any of my sale designs). I use one zip tie to string parts and then close it with another zip tie, and cut off both of the tails. That's how you get a two headed zip tie.

There are different ones but here is what they look like. They are flat on one side, you put the flat side flush with the zip tie head and cut and you get left with a smooth edge. If you use anything else to cut it there is a sharp edge.

I hope that helps, I think I replied to your PM. Just leave me a note when you order and I will substitute something else for bagels.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I'm also a big fan of zip ties. I've used them a lot for security on cage doors and travel cages, and I feel a lot safer when everything is zipped in when moving birds out on the lawn in the sun.

Ohhhh that day I looked out and saw them sitting ON TOP OF the cages out on the lawn

Luckily my gang dont bother with zip ties at all, and I always make sure the sharp clipped end is outside the cage
I would have had a heart attack!

I am sure I just needed heavier zip ties but Quackers figured out how to break them off and I ended up having to use metal rings to lock down all his doors.

Rolanda

Amada is a very pretty girl! (I swear I am envious of even Girl BIRD Moms! I have BOY children ans BOY birds. Nothing better than having ANYONE at work having a Girl BABY! Auntie RO Always gets Birthday invites because I go crazy buying Girl Clothes!) Yeah, the Zip Tie thing is cool too! :hehe: But What KIND?