• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zip ties- our new friends. Elvis is now Houdini

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The fiance sent me a picture yesterday of the top of Elvis's cage open. It was like that when he got home from work. I figured I must have forgotten to make sure it was locked when I left for work, although I didn't think he could lift the doors open from the inside. Later, we went out for a bit and I checked the locks before I left. I came home to Elvis hanging off the chandelier. I am dumbfounded as to how he can unlock a two part lock from inside his cage and lift the doors open. But he can, clearly. So now the top of his cage is zip tied shut. Until he figures out how to undo those......

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I see mini-padlocks in your immediate future .... or consult with @JLcribber

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He can probably reach through the bars with his foot and move the latch. Which cage do you have?
He might be able to chew though the zip ties and you may want to consider getting a padlock or a different cage.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is his cage. It opens on top for a playstand. He loves to open it and sit on top but I didn't think he could open from inside. He would have to hang upside down to open I think. We have been wanting to get him a bigger cage anyway. Now may be the time.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe he rattles the top around and it moves the latch?? Do you have a nest cam or similar cam that you can set up to see what he's doing? I've seen Keno reach out with her feet to grab something or move something. Her previous cage had a lift and push kind of latch and she would reach out with her foot and move it to open the cage. Not the top of the cage, though, but I could imagine if there was a similar latch on the top she would be able to open that, too.
My fear with the open top cages is that the top will close down on top of the bird. Both of the Marvelous cages I have are open top but I never open the tops.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like you're going to have to join the padlock people...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I never open the top either. He does. Lol. The zip ties are working for now. They're really heavy plastic but I do think a new cage is in order.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So now the top of his cage is zip tied shut. Until he figures out how to undo those......
I'll give it a week. (stainless steel wire).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I will keep everyone posted. Lol. Now Elvis is locking himself in his cage. Lol. He's wedging his clips in the unlocked door, jamming it. Then throws a fit because he can't out. :rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Now Elvis is locking himself in his cage. Lol. He's wedging his clips in the unlocked door, jamming it. Then throws a fit because he can't out. :rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Milton has a fit when he closes the door to his cage, then wants to get back in...then he comes over to me with a pleading look on his face...:D

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
Give him time and bye bye zip ties! My Dammit was also an escape artist. Took him one day to figure out he could break the ties. I say was an escape artist because I finally gave up and just leave his cage open. He sleeps above it.
I can lock him securely if I need to as I do have locks if needed. He hated it when Irma came through and I had to shut him up for his safety.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Give him time and bye bye zip ties! My Dammit was also an escape artist. Took him one day to figure out he could break the ties. I say was an escape artist because I finally gave up and just leave his cage open. He sleeps above it.
I can lock him securely if I need to as I do have locks if needed. He hated it when Irma came through and I had to shut him up for his safety.
If Elvis wasn't such a chewer, I would do that. My cockatiel lived cage free during the day and just was in his cage to sleep. Elvis however has already stripped part of our 100 year old pocket door and taken big chunks out of our door frame. :banghead: And all of that was while I was home with him. I can't imagine the damage he would do if he was left out and alone.

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
If Elvis wasn't such a chewer, I would do that. My cockatiel lived cage free during the day and just was in his cage to sleep. Elvis however has already stripped part of our 100 year old pocket door and taken big chunks out of our door frame. :banghead: And all of that was while I was home with him. I can't imagine the damage he would do if he was left out and alone.
Oh wow, yeah definitely not an option with Elvis! Dammit pretty much stays on his cage except for when he flies to me if he sees me eating something he wants. Between him and the dog, I always have someone watching every bite I take. LOL

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I will keep everyone posted. Lol. Now Elvis is locking himself in his cage. Lol. He's wedging his clips in the unlocked door, jamming it. Then throws a fit because he can't out. :rolleyes:
Classic parrot behavior! LOL They get themselves into a corner and then are not shy to let the world know how unhappy that makes them! :blahblah: Gotta love them! lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Milton has a fit when he closes the door to his cage, then wants to get back in...then he comes over to me with a pleading look on his face...:D
All the things Milton has figured out and he can't open his own unlocked cage door? :facepalm: Maybe he just doesn't know how to do it with a flourish so he makes you do his light work. :thinking:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All the things Milton has figured out and he can't open his own unlocked cage door? :facepalm: Maybe he just doesn't know how to do it with a flourish so he makes you do his light work. :thinking:
Milty doesn't understand that he can't open the door when he has one foot on the door and the other on the cage side! He's pushing AND pulling at the same time...which I find funny...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I will never forget Tito lifting a huge door with all of his might. Right in front of my daughter and myself. A second later he realized we were watching and let go of the door with his beak and the door fell on his toes. Served him right! I started twisty tying his cage bars but he figured that out too! Then I finally changed his cage, while saving for two flight cages at once so no one would get jealous of the other. He quickly jumped back, made a squack noise for the pain and then I watched closely, his toes were okay but probably bruised. I took him to the avian vet the next day and she said everything was okay even though there was some noticeable swelling/bruising. That sucker was not staying in a cage. I think of these memories and they make me laugh.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milty doesn't understand that he can't open the door when he has one foot on the door and the other on the cage side! He's pushing AND pulling at the same time...which I find funny...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
...he actually reminds me of the creature from Dr. Doolittle...the 'Pushmepullyou"...;)

Last edited: