• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Zephyrs first bright red feather!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh yes take pictures so I can live vicariously through you. What age do the crimson become mature and get nippy? Is it when their plumage changes?
None of my crimsons went through a nippy stage. The only time I've been bitten by them is #1.. when Rocket didn't want to get off my shoulder he bit my finger when I wanted him to step off, the other time was when I let him out of his cage I was petting him and after the fourth pet he decided he didn't like it and bit. #2... Scarlette bit me when I was attaching her veggies to her cage... she's extremely irritable when I'm putting them on and wants to bite. I don't remember if Ruby has ever bitten me. Casey started to bite when I separated him from his buddy because the buddy was plucking him and injured a toe on Casey ( caused him to lose the tip and nail) I had to treat. Since then he's been a biter... and especially protective over the girls when he gets to sit out with them in the evening. But to answer your question... they are fairly mature at 1 year but can go through an independent stage once they start flying... many conures do and this is the stage they may start to nip when they tolerate less touching.

Have you considered a Black capped conure? I love the personality on mine. He was around 5-6 months old when I got him. He wasn't handled that much so he wasn't and still isn't terribly fond of being pet but loves to sit on my hand and or lean against us ... even on his back in my lap. He does like to chew clothing and doesn't distinguish clothes from skin. That's the main reason he's not allowed on my shoulder... I can't take the pinchies on my neck! He talks fairly well, loves to play with his toys and is quite a little clown. Vocally, he makes a Tcheck, tcheck sound ( best as I can describe)... it's only loud if it's right in your ear. And when he gets excited or calls to the other birds when he hears them he has a "Squeeee" sound. He is not offensive noise wise as the crimsons are by far.

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
@Mockinbirdiva I've been researching these guys on and off for years. I think I would be heart broken now if I didn't end up with one. The only thing that could detour me would be if I met and fell in love with another bird in person.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
@Mockinbirdiva I've been researching these guys on and off for years. I think I would be heart broken now if I didn't end up with one. The only thing that could detour me would be if I met and fell in love with another bird in person.

Look forward to seeing your birdie when you finally get one. :xflove:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When I saw the crimson bellies for the first time I was pretty smitten too. It was in an all avian store and they had a young pair about a year old. In 2006 they were very expensive. I thought about those birds for six months and read about them, contacted several breeders to talk about the species first hand since none were very available for purchase. The avian store still had them six months later and I figured it was meant to be so I went and bought them. I completely understand!

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
When I saw the crimson bellies for the first time I was pretty smitten too. It was in an all avian store and they had a young pair about a year old. In 2006 they were very expensive. I thought about those birds for six months and read about them, contacted several breeders to talk about the species first hand since none were very available for purchase. The avian store still had them six months later and I figured it was meant to be so I went and bought them. I completely understand!
their feathers are beautiful but there's something about their little faces and that little mumble sound they make. They're just adorable.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn

In just over a month, he went from a single red feather to this... My little man is growing so fast. Hopefully his flight feathers start molting out too, hate having to see him with his butchered feathers. :(

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker

In just over a month, he went from a single red feather to this... My little man is growing so fast. Hopefully his flight feathers start molting out too, hate having to see him with his butchered feathers. :(
did you notice a few of his neck feathers are fringed in blue?

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
did you notice a few of his neck feathers are fringed in blue?

Yup :)

I've noticed not all of the crimson bellieds I've seen have blue neck feathers (some stop at the cheeks, unless it's an age thing?), while some do.

vs none (or few)

So hard to get all of their colors on camera though, no photo can do them justice.

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
He's gonna be gorgeous. I love when they have a lot of blue! You are so lucky. I may have to wait till next spring to get mine. :unsure1:

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
I hear a great diet & lots of sunlight makes enhances their color. Zephyr's a healthy baby it seems!

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn

Really need to get my good camera out and take some better pictures, lost the cable to upload though so have to order a new one. :( Always in awe at how fast his colors are changing. Just from 5/11 to now..

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Are those pins on his cheeks or just stripes?

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Are those pins on his cheeks or just stripes?

They are sort of stripes, they have really neat black & white feathers around their head. No pins there (yet), though I'm sure they'll go away once his cheeks molt fully. :( Shame cause they're awfully cute.

Edit: Or maybe not, I see some pictures of adults with similar feathers, but way less obvious.. can sort of see it in the google images I posted earlier about blue on their throats.

Last edited:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
He seems to “pose” for the camera! Such a beautiful creature :loveshower: