• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Zena, throwing up or regurgitating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm not sure if this is a 911. I need some information before making a decision. We went for a car ride to a pet store with Zena in her back pack. As soon as we got back in the car, she started making weird snakelike movements, really fast. I thought she was having a seizure. It was probably about 10 seconds, She expelled some stuff and was fine after. The stuff is the food she just ate. The chunks are pretty big and not digested at all. She did it a total of 3 times in about 10 minutes. She hasn't done it for about 20 minutes and seems fine now. Her poops are fine, her weight is fine and she's her active, bratty self. I'm inclined to believe that she regurgitated. If that's the case, I have no idea why she chose now. She's never done it before and she wasn't on me. She did it into her food bowl, then onto the floor of the back pack when I removed the food dish. I think if it was vomit then it would have been more digested.

Also, the stuff that came up included whole pomegranate seeds. I put dry pomegranate seeds in her dry mix and they've never been a problem before, but I wonder if she swallowed them whole, they irritated her crop and she brought them back up.

My final thought is that maybe she got car sick. Do car sick birds throw up vomit or undigested food?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like she got car sick. Corkey will occasionally get car sick if it's too hot in the car.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And yes it will be undigested food, it's whatever was in their crop.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh, thank you. I was ready to take her straight to the vet but my brain was pretty sure my heart was overreacting. I have tears in my eyes now just thinking about anything being wrong with Zena. She's been in the car plenty of times. Maybe it was being carried in the back pack as opposed to having it strapped on my back, then getting back in the car was too much. Poor little girl.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, thank you. I was ready to take her straight to the vet but my brain was pretty sure my heart was overreacting. I have tears in my eyes now just thinking about anything being wrong with Zena. She's been in the car plenty of times. Maybe it was being carried in the back pack as opposed to having it strapped on my back, then getting back in the car was too much. Poor little girl.
It could have also been that the time between eating and going for that ride was too short ;)

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

It could have also been that the time between eating and going for that ride was too short ;)
:o: There's suppose to be a wait? She usually eats while riding. You learn something new every day.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:o: There's suppose to be a wait? She usually eats while riding. You learn something new every day.
There doesn't need to be, but some birds can be more sensitive to it then others ;) If she has always done it, that's probably not it :D

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She's more cuddly and needy than usual. I put her on her stand while I was doing dishes. I gave her an almond (her favorite thing in the world). She took it, but then dropped it. When I tried to give it back to her, she used the opportunity to grab my finger and climb up to cuddle. I hate it when my babies aren't feeling well. It doens't matter how old they are or if they have skin, fur or feathers, I hate it when they're sick.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's more cuddly and needy than usual. I put her on her stand while I was doing dishes. I gave her an almond (her favorite thing in the world). She took it, but then dropped it. When I tried to give it back to her, she used the opportunity to grab my finger and climb up to cuddle. I hate it when my babies aren't feeling well. It doens't matter how old they are or if they have skin, fur or feathers, I hate it when they're sick.
Poor baby, she wants her Mama time :heart:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Jen, I have a Sun Conure, a 5 yr old male, Nicky. One day while picking Hubby up from school, I decided to bring Nicky on the short 10-12 min drive. I was paying too much attention to Nick, & not enough to driving, & almost ran a red light. I slammed on the brakes, dislodging Nick from his perch. He took it rather well, until a few min later, when I pulled up to the school. As soon as we stopped, Nicky urped all over the place. I was really worried, too, After a few min of panic, I realized it was car sickness. I read somewhere that since birds have a much larger field of vision (being prey) than we do, they can easily become visually overstimulated, & hence 'car sick.' It's advised to partially cover their cage when riding in a car. Hope your little girl is feeling much better now. If you have chamomile or peppermint tea, maybe a little of that will help settle her tummy:hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen, I have a Sun Conure, a 5 yr old male, Nicky. One day while picking Hubby up from school, I decided to bring Nicky on the short 10-12 min drive. I was paying too much attention to Nick, & not enough to driving, & almost ran a red light. I slammed on the brakes, dislodging Nick from his perch. He took it rather well, until a few min later, when I pulled up to the school. As soon as we stopped, Nicky urped all over the place. I was really worried, too, After a few min of panic, I realized it was car sickness. I read somewhere that since birds have a much larger field of vision (being prey) than we do, they can easily become visually overstimulated, & hence 'car sick.' It's advised to partially cover their cage when riding in a car. Hope your little girl is feeling much better now. If you have chamomile or peppermint tea, maybe a little of that will help settle her tummy:hug8:
She was in her backpack. It sits below window level and is pretty enclosed. I'm a little stumped as to what caused it because nothing changed from previous car rides. I wonder if it was just a combination of things that we normally do, just not in that combination. I'm not even sure that made sense in my head. :lol:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Folly did than once and I figured out it was because I put black pepper on her scrambled eggs. Scared 10 years off my life.
Keep an eye on her and at the slightest fluff, or bad poo, or no preening I would get her into the vet.

Ginger

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Aristotle got car sick once. I was taking him to the vet for conjunctivitis in his little carrier. It it the reinforced fabric kind w/2 windows. He got car sick and threw up seeds and pellets :( He acted fine otherwise, though. The vet said sometimes they just get car sick. It's the only time he's ever done that. I hope that's all it is with your faby:hug8:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I guess our Hahns is very car sick. None of my other birds are though. If it is just in the car...you know.

gryphonskeeper

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
My widdle shweetpea gets car sick from time to time. He will move his head side to side and bob up and down at the same time.. his eyes get wide and then he blows chunks. Poor little dude. It is usually only when he is not in his happy spot. On my shoulder!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Pogo got car sick a couple of times too. The first was when we brought him home from the pet store (and to the vet on the way home). The 2nd time was on the way to my mom's cottage. We had KD for lunch (his fave) and you could see the pieces of macaroni undigested. I think I may have caused it because I had his carrier on my lap in the car and was leaning on it with my arms so may have doubled the jiggling when we went over a bump. :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue