• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zeek's rocking chair

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I bought this chair for Zeek and he seems to know it is his. It was a Design Within Reach floor sample. It was still more than I wanted to spend, but it is a licensed piece by midcentury icon Jens Risom. I figured Zeek would appreciate the desgn. ;) Every night before bed, I dim the lights and rock Zeek. He gets some one on one time and even gets to come onto my shoulder. Then I lightly wrap him in a towel or shirt while he lays on his back in my hand and rock. It calms him down so that he is ready for bed.

Anyone else buy furniture for their bird?

n.
rebuscol4.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@saroj12 LOL@Rudy's couch! That's great! I didnt know that was his very own couch! Lucky bird!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 LOL@Rudy's couch! That's great! I didnt know that was his very own couch! Lucky bird!
Does Zeek ever poop on that delightful rocker? It looks pristine! You have such a precious bedtime routine!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@saroj12 No, he never has, but Zeek is rarely on the chair alone. Usually, he is snuggling with me. Scout also has her own chair, and she does not go potty on it. She will crawl off of me to the top of the chair and squat off the edge so that it goes on the floor. Then she crawls back on me. It's kind of funny. WHen I first got her, she went on me and the chair a couple times and I said "oh scout" and she must have understood!

I let her run around the bed at night before I put her to sleep, and she does not go potty on the bed. Neither of the other two do either. I think they think it's my nest. They also wont go potty in their night cages.

I did get a thrasher in the house a few weeks ago. It went potty EVERYWHERE! Luckily none of it was on cloth furniture and it was all easily cleanable. I was worried about my new chairs!

Scout also knows this is her chair and goes right for it when it is just the two of us. Scout's chair (red one):

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch has the two nice rocker swivel recliners we were given when Lils sister and her hubby upgraded their recliners again.:) He also has the corner of the couch for hanging out with sister and getting treats. Everything he likes has blankets or towels covering it and we have generous bottles of PoopOff and folex handy for the misses and carpet.
Nothing was given to him, he just has favorite spots to hang out with his flock or have Lurch quiet time.
Nerd had my kitchen table chair he claimed and would sit quietly on the cushion having Nerd thoughts and quiet time, usually right after we let him out for the day. We also had the vinyl carpet runners under all of his favorite spots so he could make a mess and we could either hose em off every so often or finally throw them away and buy new ones when they got old and nasty enough.
Lurch has the area that would be the front door entry vinyl floor square they put in many houses so the carpet doesn't get destroyed, also easy to clean and vacuum for his house.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Very nice! ♥ And Zeek, you are spoiled! :p
You also have a beautiful home. :)

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Very nice chair for Zeek!! Quite lucky :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton has taken over the recliner in his room. He chews on it all the time. The only people who see his chair is us-since it's in the bedroom...

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spoiled birds :heart2:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Love your house...I see you have a few extra chairs...more birdies to love.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
That chair is worth more than every piece of furniture in my living room combined! :hilarious:

I would get mine something but I am the best perch anyway :wacky:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@webchirp LOL! Very funny...but uh no!

@Jaguar I know! It sure was expensive, but I got it at 60% off last years price which is cheaper than they are listed now by quite a bit. I figure I'll keep it forever too. But you are right! Humans are the best perch! I'd been rocking him on the edge of the bed and I thought how nice to actually have a rocking chair.

Thanks for the compliments on the house, but if you could see it in person, you'd see it's a partially finished remodel that needs a lot of work! But I do like the architecture of it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well the MANUFACTURED home we bought 3 years ago was purchase because it was the nicest and biggest one we saw for what we could afford. It has new windows, siding, carpet, roof, kitchen, most all the major systems.
HOWEVER, they knew they were going to flip it cheap ad quick so anything that could be done quick or ignored was done.
The bathrooms have new fixtures/commodes but the old crappy vanities that were installed in 96 when this place was put onsite. There is NO base board trim anywhere, and several places where the installers kicked holes in the thin cheap drywall these kinda places use when they installed the carpets. The subfloors creak because I'm sure they used nails and as few of them as it takes to hold down a new floor.
The kitchen side door has a rotted through spot they covered with some plastic and glued and painted in place knowing nobody would look as long as it seemed fine.
The HVAC setup under the house had a huge hole chewed in the 12" plastic insulated pipe that connects the two halves of the ducts runs so only one half of the house had heat.
I redid the pipe underneath myself as I have some experience doing similar setups for chimney liners, the hole in the wall and door frame was smallish so I filled it with spray foam and put it back together till we decide to replace the two outer door casings setups with better quality new ones. The floors we live with and all the other little crappy things as it still was a smokin price and move in ready.
I have plenty of projects for when I have the money and decide to deal with them but overall even with all that I love the house and am happy to live here, and I CAN deal with the issues as deals come up.
Because of what it is property taxes are dirt cheap and I had enough money left to add my mini barn and a nice privacy fence with a gravel parking area and drive through gate so my extra cars are parked and safe, plus I pay way less in mortgage then I was paying to rent a much smaller rental house:dance4:
Sounds like we have similar situations in our houses but I agree yours has some stunning architecture and I'd put up with the flaws and needed fixes too, just like here.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Dartman Yes - totally similar situations! I just have to tackle the projects as I can afford to. I wish I had your skills though, as it would be cheaper if I could do some myself. Right now, I am abandoning the septic system for the city sewer - not cheap! It sounds like you have a very nice set up with the barn and all. I love this house and feel very fortunate to have gotten it as a short sale when the economy was down. But I dont think that I realized what I was getting into!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My mini barn is only 12x16, but I had them add a loft that makes a huge difference in the amount of stuff I can store and still have floor space open. I helped the two kids building it by carrying over stuff they needed, plugging things in, holding stuff while they nailed it together and fed them pizza.
The house has no real storage at all and I was stuffing car parts and things under the crawl space just so it would be safely stowed away, plus we had a 10x17 pod rented out front I'd slowly get things from as space opened up or we needed it.
Once I had the barn all the crap in the house and pod we weren't using went inside and I added commercial shelf runners, brackets and shelf's to the walls that were open till I ran outa shelf brackets. I left ALL of my shelving system at the old rental as we did not have enough time to tear it all down and cart it to the new place:arghh:
I have bought a cheap 12" dual bevel sliding compound Miter Saw at Harbor Freight and eventually intend to use it to redo all the missing or cheap crappy trim this place has and we bought it in late August 2012 just has the market tanked and interest rates were about as low as they were going to go. Got a good FHA loan with low down so I could use the leftover money for the Barn, fence, and driveway. My Mortgage includes taxes and in a year or so the extra required Mortgage insurance for the bank goes away and we save 100 a month.
I try to keep up on critical things and the annoyances can slide. Keep the carpet vacuumed and try to keep Lurches spots protected and not fill the house with stuff like we had after 22 years at the old 2br place with a small garage.
Sure saw a LOT of turds that needed everything as most were repos that had been partially stripped or were just not very nice places for what they wanted.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Soungs like a great project and a great storage area! You can never have enough storage! Yes, I agree...I couldnt believe the state of a lot of the homes I looked at. Some had been horribly remodeled. I will be putting in a new driveway soon....not looking forward to paying for it. :(