• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finches mated but no eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Hi, I have a male and female pair of Zebra finches that have been working on their nest for weeks. They have a good diet of seeds, greens, vegetables, fruit, mashed boiled eggs and crushed shell, grit, oyster shells, charcoal, and have a cuttlebone. They get fresh water throughout the day to bathe in. I saw them mate once 7 days ago. I expected them to start laying eggs on the 29th-30th but they haven't. What could cause them not to lay an egg? Thank you.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are tons of factors that could cause them not to lay. It could have been a practice mating, they could perceive something in their environment as a threat or stressor, they could be inexperienced, etc. I'm sure they will lay in time, just be patient with them.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Didn't you just get these little guys recently? They might not feel totally 'at home' yet, or they just may be too young; I believe most breeders would recommend waiting until they (esp the female) is at least 10-12 months old. Or, you could change your mind about wanting babies--a sure way to get some! It sounds as though their diet is excellent. What kind of nest are you using, & what materials are you making available to them? Zebra finches will breed, be patient :)

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Thank you. I do have them in my living room so maybe they feel threatened, but I'm scared to move them encase they are getting ready to lay and I mess it up by moving them. Its mostly 72 degrees in here year round but sometimes it gets hotter when its hot outside. They haven't laid eggs before this is the first time they have been paired up.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
I have had this pair for almost 2 months. I'm not sure on their ages. I know they have their adult feathers and they haven't molted since I've had them, another pair I have molted a few weeks after I got them. They have a Covered Bamboo nest and give them clean hay, and shredded white paper towels.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They do not need grit. It can cause impaction.:hug8:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Carole( waterfaller) is right--they DON'T need grit. If you feel that they do, provide only a pinch every couple of weeks. I would think if your home is normal, they would be OK in the living room, as long as you don't have noisy kids & dogs rushing past their cage every 10 min all day long!
Again, you don't want to have babies before maturity--it's too hard on the female--egg binding is a possibility, & that's a horrible way to die for a bird.
Pregnancy (or eggnancy) is usually something that happens when you stop worrying about it! IF THEY LIKE EACH OTHER!

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is a Thread on Finchforum about Grit for finches.

FINCHforum • View topic - Do Finches Need Grit?
That article says that the grit should be 90% soluble calcium, 5% charcoal, and 5% insoluble grit. This means it is almost entirely digestible. I wouldn't free feed conventional grit as it could definitely cause problems long term. The mixture suggested in the article would be a valuable source of minerals.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It is also from 2008:blink:

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
The grit I have is mixed with charcoal, and oyster shells. To be on the safe side I'll stop giving it to them.

I had my pairs side by side in different cages but I moved them because I caught my 2 year old putting his hand in the cage. I don't want him hurting them or letting them out of their cage.

I tried to switch pairs a couple of days ago and One male rejected the new mate. He kept chasing her so I switched them back.

I took out their nests about an hour ago because I really don't know how old the are I'm just guessing between 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.