• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch Volume

bah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
audrey
Hopefully this isn't the wrong place to post this :p

I currently have a budgie, and am interested in adding a same sex pair of zebra finches to our fam. My only quibble is that I live in an apartment, and would like to avoid a bird that's too loud (for the neighbor's sake). For all the zebra finch owners out there, particularly you who have either just boys or just girls (I imagine they're louder or quieter if they have a mate?) would these birds be apartment friendly sound-wise in your opinion? Honestly, I've read up on it where I could and volume is so subjective, it's hard to figure out what basic words like "quiet" mean without reference. A budgie isn't usually too loud, but they frequently vocalize, which is absolutely shared-wall friendly and fine for this living situation.

Also: Is egg laying a problem with two girls alone?

Thanks for any help. All is appreciated.

Jogging around the block
I can't help you with a lot of your questions, @finchly might, but as an owner of three males I know about their noise :)
If you can tolerate the noise of a budgie, I think a zebra finch would be fine in terms of volume. It gets a bit irritating and repetitive at times the constant 'beep beep' they do but it is pretty cute. The males will sing, but it isn't really louder. From my understanding the females don't sing.
So basically, semi-quiet but often is them.

bah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
audrey
I can't help you with a lot of your questions, @finchly might, but as an owner of three males I know about their noise :)
If you can tolerate the noise of a budgie, I think a zebra finch would be fine in terms of volume. It gets a bit irritating and repetitive at times the constant 'beep beep' they do but it is pretty cute. The males will sing, but it isn't really louder. From my understanding the females don't sing.
Somehow posting questions here spurred me to get more creative with my googling and I read that two male zebra finches may kill each other, sooooooo honestly it might be down to females and researching more specifically their needs. That said, that's like the exact comparison I was looking for and I appreciate it. Repetitive is totally fine. I love the idea of a busy/chirpy bird.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
@fashionfobie might be able to help you out! Good luck on your quest for a zebra finch! :) They're the cutest little things! :heart:

Jogging around the block
Somehow posting questions here spurred me to get more creative with my googling and I read that two male zebra finches may kill each other, sooooooo honestly it might be down to females and researching more specifically their needs. That said, that's like the exact comparison I was looking for and I appreciate it. Repetitive is totally fine. I love the idea of a busy/chirpy bird.
Hmm, I have never heard of that. I know many people that keep two males that get along, and my three are all housed together. But it's completely your choice! The females are lovely little things too :D
No problem! Zebra finches are great little birds and I hope you find the right birds for you!

bah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
audrey
Hmm, I have never heard of that. I know many people that keep two males that get along, and my three are all housed together. But it's completely your choice! The females are lovely little things too :D
No problem! Zebra finches are great little birds and I hope you find the right birds for you!
It's late. My source checking is getting pretty sketchy lol. Not to mention that when it comes to animals there's always opposing absolutely completely factual non-rule bending truths that just don't get along. (Part of the fun, right? lol)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Many people keep 2 males because they don’t want to produce babies. I’ve never heard of them killing each other (and at one point I had 100).

bah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
audrey
Many people keep 2 males because they don’t want to produce babies. I’ve never heard of them killing each other (and at one point I had 100).
Yeah. I found a thread where someone told someone else that somewhere on this forum, and then clicked out and lost the link. I hadn’t heard it anywhere else, and not worrying about reproductive health would certainly be my motivation to favor caring for males.

thank you for your information and setting me straight in my late night posting :) (i must remember not to put things on the internet without coffee and maybe daylight)

jubimambo

Moving in
@Screech sorry but i have a personal question and hope you could provide some insight since you own three male finches. I currently own 2 male zebra finch siblings in an apartment and am now considering adding a male owl finch that someone is trying to re-home. I've always liked owl finches but they are definitely a rare find in my local area. I know generally speaking finches should be in pairs but just want to hear what your experience is with owning 3 male finches.

To offer some background, my finches were handfed and are social with humans. We let them have their daily flights for hours around our living room but since they've matured, they've become territorial and aggressive towards each other on a daily basis, mostly one chasing after the other but on the rare occasion I would see a one-off plucking. After a day of chasing each other around though they usually sleep together, and its not uncommon to see them cuddling beside each other to sleep, but its definitely a rare sight to see them preening each other now. Overall they seem to live peacefully together, but most likely sexually frustrated. Our cage isnt too big, around 27" L x 14" W x 23" H since space is limited in our apartment, but we let them free roam in our home most of the day so they only really return to the cage for food/water/sleep.

Was wondering if adding another finch would change the dynamic of their relationships with 3 male finches, would our home be a good environment for another finch? Thanks!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@jubimambo
I wouldn't keep a single owl finch with zebras. If you had a flock and a lot of space more can be kept, but zebras can be bossy and pushy. Owl finches are a little more placid. I think it is better to keep the owl separate and start searching for a friend of his own species.

for your reference:

Jogging around the block
@Screech sorry but i have a personal question and hope you could provide some insight since you own three male finches. I currently own 2 male zebra finch siblings in an apartment and am now considering adding a male owl finch that someone is trying to re-home. I've always liked owl finches but they are definitely a rare find in my local area. I know generally speaking finches should be in pairs but just want to hear what your experience is with owning 3 male finches.

To offer some background, my finches were handfed and are social with humans. We let them have their daily flights for hours around our living room but since they've matured, they've become territorial and aggressive towards each other on a daily basis, mostly one chasing after the other but on the rare occasion I would see a one-off plucking. After a day of chasing each other around though they usually sleep together, and its not uncommon to see them cuddling beside each other to sleep, but its definitely a rare sight to see them preening each other now. Overall they seem to live peacefully together, but most likely sexually frustrated. Our cage isnt too big, around 27" L x 14" W x 23" H since space is limited in our apartment, but we let them free roam in our home most of the day so they only really return to the cage for food/water/sleep.

Was wondering if adding another finch would change the dynamic of their relationships with 3 male finches, would our home be a good environment for another finch? Thanks!
I don't own owl finches and never have, so I can't really comment on how they specifically would change the dynamic.
Sadly one of my zebra finches has passed, so I now have only two. With three it wasn't the best, two were best buddies and one was the outcast, the outcast would often become aggressive to the more submissive of the two buddies. I never separated them because the fighting didn't get to that point, but I wouldn't own 3 zebras again. From my experience with all my birds really, even numbers are often better than odd numbers. Do remember though this is zebra finches not owl finches, so it is likely very different.
I have never owned more than 3 zebra finches, so I cannot confirm this but I have heard generally with zebra finches you should have 2 or 6+ .
fashionphobie is a lot more knowledgable than me, so I would listen to her and not keep an owl finch with zebras.
It might get you more help to start a thread on the problem you are experiencing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Zebras. 2 or 6+. Otherwise there are territorial issues.

Owls are small and delicate, keep the owl separate (cage) but near the zebs so he can hear them.

jubimambo

Moving in
Thanks so much for your response, and great resources! Was suprised to see owl finch being 'incompatible' with zebra finches in the ladygouldianfinch chart since i've seen them together but in larger aviaries.

@jubimambo
I wouldn't keep a single owl finch with zebras. If you had a flock and a lot of space more can be kept, but zebras can be bossy and pushy. Owl finches are a little more placid. I think it is better to keep the owl separate and start searching for a friend of his own species.

for your reference:

jubimambo

Moving in
sorry to hear that, and was hoping to hear they got along in 3's but also kinda knew deep down its a long shot

I don't own owl finches and never have, so I can't really comment on how they specifically would change the dynamic.
Sadly one of my zebra finches has passed, so I now have only two. With three it wasn't the best, two were best buddies and one was the outcast, the outcast would often become aggressive to the more submissive of the two buddies. I never separated them because the fighting didn't get to that point, but I wouldn't own 3 zebras again. From my experience with all my birds really, even numbers are often better than odd numbers. Do remember though this is zebra finches not owl finches, so it is likely very different.
I have never owned more than 3 zebra finches, so I cannot confirm this but I have heard generally with zebra finches you should have 2 or 6+ .
fashionphobie is a lot more knowledgable than me, so I would listen to her and not keep an owl finch with zebras.
It might get you more help to start a thread on the problem you are experiencing.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks so much for your response, and great resources! Was suprised to see owl finch being 'incompatible' with zebra finches in the ladygouldianfinch chart since i've seen them together but in larger aviaries.
No worries! I am glad you found them informative.

In a large aviary (like very large walk in one) you can mix more species. However even then it depends on what is around. How many unique perching areas? How many hiding places? The goal is that each and every single bird can feel safe. Stress in your enemy with any bird, but little finches are especially vulnerable since medical care is a challenge.

I think finchly (above) makes a great point. If you adopt the owl finch and keep the little one in a seperate cage they can still share a room and listen to each other etc.

jubimambo

Moving in
Thanks, but looks like it's not a good idea to have owls and zebs in the same household unfortunately :(

Zebras. 2 or 6+. Otherwise there are territorial issues.

Owls are small and delicate, keep the owl separate (cage) but near the zebs so he can hear them.