• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Zebra finch update

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
The little zebra finch girl that I posted about previously is doing GREAT! She might even be able to perch again, soon!
She's standing on her legs (the left foot is still in a deformed position, but I think it's gaining strength like her leg, maybe it will unfold!) And she's running around with all kinds of energy! I think it's time to get her into a real bird cage now!

I believe she may have been dehydrated when I first brought her home. The bowl she previously had for water was shallow but had a lip that she would have had to get over to drink from it. I dropper-fed some water to her the first couple days and then she wouldnt take it anymore. I replaced her bowl with a lid that goes to canned dog/cat food (it was clean and unused) and she has been getting more strength every day because of it, I think.

She slept a lot the first week or so after bringing her home. She would be asleep when I came to check on her, but lately she is awake and alert when I come in! Sooo much more energy. No more falling over on her side (well, only sparingly) she's even trying to fly better!

It's now been 12 days since I brought her home and the improvements are massive! Today I placed a branch in her "cage" to see if she will take to it and try to strengthen her muscles and be able to perch again. Fingers crossed!!

This is a video I took on the day I brought her home, while we were still at my friends house. I forgot to share it, I think:

Here's an updated video from today:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow Kaitlyn, that´s a big difference! :hug2:

She´s adorable, what´s her name?

I have an 18x30x18 finch cage for my lovebird with a closed foot and it´s ok for her, so maybe you could get one of those? Fill the bottom with lots of padding and pad and wrap some platforms low down etc.

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
Wow Kaitlyn, that´s a big difference! :hug2:

She´s adorable, what´s her name?

I have an 18x30x18 finch cage for my lovebird with a closed foot and it´s ok for her, so maybe you could get one of those? Fill the bottom with lots of padding and pad and wrap some platforms low down etc.

Oh yes I forgot about those cages! One of those would be perfect!

I'm actually pretty bad at naming lol! So I have yet to decide on one... any ideas? :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yea, you might wanna start of with any platforms just a cvouple of inches from the floor until she is a little more stable :)

I'm actually pretty bad at naming lol! So I have yet to decide on one... any ideas? :)
How about Patience? I think it suits her perfectly;

¨Patience is a female name that comes from the vocabulary word for one of the seven heavenly virtues (charity, chastity, diligence, humility, kindness, patience and temperance). These are slightly different from the seven cardinal and theological virtues (charity, courage, faith, hope, justice, prudence and restraint). Patience became a so-called “virtue” name adopted by the strict Puritans during the Reformation and popularized by the 17th century. Other “virtue” names in use include Charity, Chastity, Faith, Hope and Prudence (while Justice is masculine virtue name). Ultimately, the English word “patience” was borrowed from the Latin “patientia” which was derived from “pati” meaning “to suffer”. This etymology is appropriate given that “patience” generally involves a need for tolerance and endurance to carry on through difficulties and challenges, so it does require a bit of suffering. Patience is an important virtue to Christians, Muslims and Jews alike; mainly that God will reward those who demonstrate it.¨

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
Yea, you might wanna start of with any platforms just a cvouple of inches from the floor until she is a little more stable :)

How about Patience? I think it suits her perfectly;

¨Patience is a female name that comes from the vocabulary word for one of the seven heavenly virtues (charity, chastity, diligence, humility, kindness, patience and temperance). These are slightly different from the seven cardinal and theological virtues (charity, courage, faith, hope, justice, prudence and restraint). Patience became a so-called “virtue” name adopted by the strict Puritans during the Reformation and popularized by the 17th century. Other “virtue” names in use include Charity, Chastity, Faith, Hope and Prudence (while Justice is masculine virtue name). Ultimately, the English word “patience” was borrowed from the Latin “patientia” which was derived from “pati” meaning “to suffer”. This etymology is appropriate given that “patience” generally involves a need for tolerance and endurance to carry on through difficulties and challenges, so it does require a bit of suffering. Patience is an important virtue to Christians, Muslims and Jews alike; mainly that God will reward those who demonstrate it.¨

I really like that name! Could even call her Pati (like Patty) for short haha! :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
She’s adorable!