• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch Mutation help

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
Here are Meeps and Beeps.
Can anyone help me out with their mutationsÉ (Sorry my question mark key seems to have gone spanish on me).
Thanks so much!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The darker one is normal grey female. See how her tail feathers have a simple white and black pattern? that means it is not mixed with any of the 'hot sauce' varieties like black or orange breasted.

Second could be a few things- it is most definitely mixed with black breasted as the tail pattern is not uniform and heavy black breast bar also leads me to a male black breasted/ CFW- but could also be some pied with florida fancy. Problem is they can carry multiple genes-

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Here is a great example: Female hen (mother) is lightback/silver/fawn (almost completely white) X Blackface cock (almost completely black).

Most people would say she is a completely different mutation upon first sight, but I have all the documented generations in my books. (parents and grandparents, etc.)

Here are the three babies with mom. This almost white/silver is pretty rare- and should not be dominant in the way it is with these young. It will be interesting to see what they moult into as adults. So needless to say- Aspro's father was a dead ringer for a lightback, but carried the silver gene. Apparently it decided to show its ugly head because I now have 10 creams and a bunch of dominent silvers. Ugh.

(beaks turn orange or red depending on sex as they age.... they look silly at this age... lol)

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_5265.JPG
FullSizeRender[1].jpg