• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Zebra finch ill

bigsister

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carolyn
Subject: Zebra Finch Mystery Illness
Hi. I dont know if anyone can answer this question and i do realize that this is not a place for me to expect a spot on diagnosis but I am desperately seeking any information on my zebra finch, Chico and what his symptoms may mean.
He is 8 or 9 years old I've had him since he was 2. The last few months hes been sleeping alot...still active, just more tired. I assumed old age was kicking in. Now two weeks ago, he started hanging around the bottom of the cage...still eating, not puffed up but having a bit more trouble getting up to his perches... off balance a little, if you will. A week later, staying at bottom of cage and puffed up. At this point I moved his brother who is healthy and only 6 years old to another cage to be safe. Then for two days...eating less, drinking less...so, time to the vet. Especially because the night before he looked SO bad i thought he was dying, i never expected for him to make it through the night. His symptoms also included not being able to hold his head up...as though he was falling forward and being very wobbly while walking...almost as though he was drunk.
Next day took him to vet and of course that morning he looked better, I ALMOST reconsidered taking him but you know how birds are...may be trying to hide his sickness.
Great avian vet. Said that he doesnt get many finches but enjoys it when he can try to help the little ones. He explains that his plumage was excellent, his droppings were okay considering he hadnt been eating as much and looked relatively alert. He gave Chico some crushed up Doxycycline for his water but its been three days now and he is back to being wobbly and wanting to sleep all day in the heat of the lamp. Appetite is less than normal...no change but still comes out of his bed to eat a tiny bit as well as take a sip of water...which i have been helping him have a few drops of with the help of a dropper...he lets me too...hes such a good boy but im afraid this may not be helping him.
My question is this...if he was going to die, wouldnt he have passed by now?
Also, could he not be ill in the viral/bacterial infection sense but rather have suffered some kind of stroke or something heart related?
I dont want him to suffer if in fact thats the case...
I would appreciate any insight any of you could give me.
I just had to put down my 17 year old dog two weeks ago in my home here and I still have such a heavy heart.
PLEASE HELP US.
Carolyn :unsure1: :unsure1:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
did they do any blood work ?

bigsister

Real Name
Carolyn
No. He said with birds as tiny as he is...and hes especially tiny even for a finch...they can only examine fecal matter, talk to me in detail about his symptoms, give him a thorough exam, then treat him symptomatically.
I just checked on him too and he's still wobbly but got up and ate a LOT of his millet and then went back to bed. He's really comfortable now.
Just confused.
Is it just a matter of time?
Or does he have another year or two and suffering from some other condition.
Thank you for caring. I feel helpless. :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if he is eating millet but still staying on the floor, try putting his food/water dishes down as low to the floor as as you can get. you can also put food in large cap like mayo cap on the floor. he may dump it many times until he figures it out. he may need some pro-biotices too. anti biotices can mess up their digestive system, killing both good and bad bactria, like it does with people. i'm trying to find the link here. i can't remember the name of the stuff. i think it is called Bene-bac.
:tiel2: and his mom

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you could try a little plain unsweeted yougurt too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
also your finch is very old....they usually only live from 4-7 years. He could have suffered a stroke. We had a little handicapped old man finch who was 12 when he died..almost unheard of. He suffered a couple f strokes...I would recommend you get him some platform perches you can even make your own such as below.. th_Picture095-1.jpg We fashioned that out of a piece of plywood about four inches wide and running the length of the cage. Fletcher also loved broccoli and scrambled eggs..

bigsister

Real Name
Carolyn
I did actually purchase some for an African Grey we adopted who has scoliosis :(. We thought it was a good idea until we gain his trust.
I put some in his (Chicos) water before i was told to put the medicine in it. I assume mixing the two would be a bad idea. Maybe I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask if its okay to do that. Or i could feed it to him separately from the dropper. I will try some plain yogurt too. Boiling an egg for him in the morning as well.
Please say a prayer. He needs them.

And I need him.

Carolyn

bigsister

Real Name
Carolyn
Chico is still hanging in there. Sleeping most of day in his warm bed and coming out to eat periodically...the recent norm.
if hes still with me, we are scheduled to go back to vet for followup.
Thank you for your emails and suggestions. I am taking them ALL seriously.
I will keep you updated.
Fingers crossed. :)