• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ZAP!!! Serious static covering and uncovering cages

Mo2vation

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Man.... winter dry air meets CA King size sheets meet metal cages...

I'm talking well over an inch of arc between my fingertips and the cage through the cover. I'm trying to kind of elbow in first, but sometimes I miss and I get the worst zap.... Full on lightening strike.

I can't wait to get the Aviary built so I don't have to deal with this stuff... but for the next few months, how do the rest of you stop from getting seriously zapped covering and uncovering your cages?

- Ken

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't cover and uncover the cages. They just have cotton sheets hanging on the backs of the cages to prevent food splatter on the walls. Cotton shouldn't get static if only washed with cotton. Mixing fabrics (polyester especially) is what creates static (electrons transferring from one material to the other). I cover the window in the bird room with a blind and dark curtains instead of covering their cages.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You also might consider a humidifier to moisten that dry air. :) Or hang a wet towel in the bird area.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Man.... winter dry air meets CA King size sheets meet metal cages...

I'm talking well over an inch of arc between my fingertips and the cage through the cover. I'm trying to kind of elbow in first, but sometimes I miss and I get the worst zap.... Full on lightening strike.

I can't wait to get the Aviary built so I don't have to deal with this stuff... but for the next few months, how do the rest of you stop from getting seriously zapped covering and uncovering your cages?

- Ken
Try misting with water before removing the cover. If I couldn't find any Static Guard spray @ work when the static was bad I'd use my plant sprayer and mist my pant legs/skirt; at least you won't be messing with an aerosol product on your cage covers. Other option would be to buy a small humidifier - Bed Bath & Beyond carries them - Buy Personal Humidifier from Bed Bath & Beyond You can also find them online - Personal Humidifiers | Walgreens - personal humidifiers - Google Search

We have a Bemis humidifier which, with a full tank of water on full force humidifier setting lasts the whole night (10 p.m. - 7 a.m.) and still has enough water left to run for several hours.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I keep a humidifier by the cages. That should stop it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Humidifier or not covering cages (we have a darkened room they sleep in so no cover needed)