• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Yuck yuck bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovieBird

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to start off by saying tomorrow I am working full time at my second job from 8am until my boss releases me (anywhere between 3pm and 8pm). So I won't be able to get to my other job at the vet to have her looked over until after then (I can be there tomorrow night- its a 24 hour office). Does anyone recognize this BUG. It has pinchers on its head and I just found about 20 of them crawling around on her cage blanket. They also were in her food- which I've thrown out. I bought more, fresh bird food, and put it in my refrigerator.. Now at first I thought these were weevils.. BUT the bird is losing feathers now on her head and itching a lot.. Its ONLY on her head, the rest of her feathers are normal and she is ITCHING like crazy tonight. Also last night she freaked out in the middle of the night even though her cage was covered and everything was quiet.

:confused:

I've also emailed the rehabilitator who is supposed to take her on Friday and am waiting for a response from him as well as texted some fellow techs and am waiting on a response from them..

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
:hug8:Poor baby! I don't know what kind of bug that is but it certainly warrants a vet visit. Are they attacking her? Can you move her to a new room and spray the area where her cage was/is? I think the primary concern is getting her to the vet and the secondary concern is removing the cause. So sorry this is happening!

LovieBird

Meeting neighbors
I've moved her back into the smaller finch cage that she came with- especially since it will be easier transportation, and I've taken the old cage outside and hosed it down. I also threw away the old food out in the garage where bugs were all in it.. I'll get her to the vets tommorrow night when I get off work.. I'd take her tonight but the rescue section is closed until tomorrow due to the fact that all of the surrendered and strays are either in foster care or sent to SPCA and Animal Services. Since the rescue section is closed.. none of the rescue-friendly vets are scheduled and if I take her in they'll just see her (and me) as an annoyance.. not sure whether to be disgusted :mad: or to laugh :lol: about that, but the rescues also aren't paying clients..

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Not sure what the heck bug that is. I was thinking pincher bug but the pinchers on that bug are on the other end. Poor tiel I bet it was scared.

LovieBird

Meeting neighbors
the size of an ant or a smaller termite but it has a beetle like look to it..

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Have you tried to give her a bath? It may help a little with the itching until you are able to get her to the vet. Hope all goes well!P.S. I keep ALL of my birds food in the freezer. Bugs can get in anywhere so its always best to be safe then sorry :)

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
eeeeks,:eek: I am petrified of bugs so I can only imagine what this poor tiel went through by being spooked by them. That "sorta" reminds me of a tiny little bug that bores an itty bitty hole into bird seeds, and then eats the seed itself. Then you think your bird is eating the seed only to find out that there is none in the shell. I wish I knew what they were called. I figure I am wrong, just reminded me of them. Yep, toss that food out and get it out of the garage and I'd check around that garage to see if you can find more of them lingering around. Sounds like your food needs an air tight container. I'm a big believer of the "vittle vault". What type of container are you using? That little tiel looks so miserable, poor thing. Let us know what the vet says. :hug8:

LovieBird

Meeting neighbors
I had her food in a tupperware type container with a pouring spout (it was donated in that container when the people who found her dropped her off at work), but I bought new food and stuck it in the fridge so its in the original bag with a clip on it.. whats a vittle vault? And I did mist her with warm water yesterday, she seemed to enjoy it a ton

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Poor baby. I hope you can figure it out and get her to a vet soon. Hugs!

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I swear it looks like a bed bug to me! The size and description also match. If that is the case you need to get an exterminator. Can you catch one and put it in a jar to get a better pic?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
from what I can see in the pic - snout and antennae, it is a weevil.
this looks different from a flour beetle, but I don't know exactly what it is.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Poor baby...I'm itching all over now just reading this thread:/

I hope she's ok and u get rid of those nasty creatures!!!!! Eeek

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I swear by the vittles vault container, I've never gotten bugs using it. Years ago, I used to have issues with ants and this container solved the problem.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The bug is some sort of weevil that eats seeds/grains. It will not be the cause of any feather loss. Critters like mites and lice are species specific (meaning the bird/species)....and they could be the cause for feather loss and/or feather damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.