• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yucca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm pretty sure it's a no because there are a ton of types of yucca. I'm pretty sure the edible yucca is a root vegetable? Or something like that. The yucca that you see on bird toys has been dried as well... hopefully Barbi or somebody else will step in and clarify for us.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
I think the edible tuber is called yuca and the plant we use for our birds is yucca.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here's some info on Yuca and Yucca. I've always found conflicting info on Yucca because of the powder (when yucca toy is shredded) getting into the lungs. Also some yucca's are toxic (Banana yucca, Red Baneberry. All parts are toxic ~Ranunculaceae~) so do your research on the edible ones. Ruby has had yucca toys in the past with no problem. I think it is a personal choice. Be careful to remove the spikes on the growing plant.

Yuca (Cassava)

Yucca
You Say Yuca, I Say Yucca

Last edited:

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
im really glad I found this post. Thanks for sharing I would have had NO idea of the risk!!! I was thinking of buying a bag, I am now going to pass

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
What's questionable about yucca? I can't find anything on Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.