• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Parrots Weirdest/Quirkiest Behaviours?

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
So we all know that parrots can be, well... Weird! :D

I was wondering, what quirky or weird things do your little monsters do?

Here are some of my gcc, Lilly's:
  • Will only bathe in cold water from a tap, you have to cup your hands under the tap for her, she absolutely refuses to even look at luke warm/warm water or showers or shower perches *snob*
  • She doesn't like toes. Hates them! She will climb down your leg to try to bite them. But if you're sitting cross-legged, she insists on perching on your foot :bored:
  • Her food dish. If you fill her food dish past a certain point, she will deem this to be completely unacceptable! She will then use her beak to shove and flick the pellets out. Or she will tip the dish till it empties and then she'll launch the dish into space
  • Most gccs are shoulder birds... well she's also a bum bird. :roflmao: She loves to land on peoples butts when they're walking, then she'll flip upside-down and often hang by one foot. I have no idea why she does this! :huh:
  • One of her favorite games is to gather all of her favorite foot-toys, and then drop them all behind a piece of furniture. Like my bed, or a sofa. After dropping the last toy, she will look you dead in the eye and start muttering under her breath. I don't speak bird, but I'm convinced she's swearing at me :wacky::laugh: Like it's somehow MY fault that her toys are now unreachable??
  • Food. She loves to steal food from me, but if I put some in her treat dish, she turns her beak up at it. Like she thinks I'm trying to give her the bad stuff, so I can hog the good stuff. Sometimes she will snatch food off my plate and then run up to my shoulder to scoff it into her little beak. Sometimes... She tries to feed it to me... By shoving it in my ear :grumpy:
  • Revenge poops!! Although I have never toilet trained her, she is normally pretty good about not pooping on furniture or people. However, if you tell her off/tell her not to do something, there's a pretty good chance that she will revenge poop on you. Sometimes she will aim for any food or drinks that are in the room :depressed:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sweden, my Goffin, likes to sit on the back of a chair, and will slowly run her beak up and down the wall behind the chair.
Over and over again. Doesn't chip at the paint, just slides her beak back and forth, up and down.
Never could figure out why.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My cockatiel will be sitting on his playstand and playing with his toy, but as soon as I walk away for a second he'll start yelling, but not because he wants to climb on me or eat. As soon as I come back he'll just ignore me and go right back to playing with his toy

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
My cockatiel will be sitting on his playstand and playing with his toy, but as soon as I walk away for a second he'll start yelling, but not because he wants to climb on me or eat. As soon as I come back he'll just ignore me and go right back to playing with his toy
.. basically he needs you there to watch him have fun :lol:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She likes to climb around between the cage and the cage cover for some bizarre reason. Today she decidee to nibble at it...I messaged my husband with this picture, saying "bizarre creature"

IMG_20200225_135004.jpg

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
There's more?!
Yep there's more! Haha :hilarious:

• She likes to run the tip of her beak over stuff. I think she likes the feeling of the different textures and the way it sounds when her beak goes over them. She will do this to toys, clothes, furniture and people. Yes... People. Her favorites are fluffy socks and the back of my laptop.

• Sleeping. She used to sleep on the same wooden toy every night. For the past 3 months this has changed. She'll sleep on it during the day, but not at night. It's cute because she will grab the cage bars, pull herself forwards and then let go. Causing the toy to swing. However she now sleeps BEHIND her new favorite toy. She literally squeezes her fluff butt between it and the cage bars, and will then hang on the bars and sleep like that. I refuse to accept that this is comfortable haha. I tried moving it once, she grabbed the toy, pulled it as close to the bars as she could get it; and then held onto the bars with one foot and slept like that for two nights before I gave in and moved it back

Parrots are some of the strangest animals :bored: