• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Linnies Favorites?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Yes my cockatiel doesn't like big toys either so I made sure that Kiwi's toys are on the smaller side. So what does Gigi do when you put your hand in the cage? Kiwi almost always heads for the roof of the cage and hangs upside down. It's as if he thinks I can't see him if he is hanging upside down. Silly bird

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my, that's cute! Upside down invisible Kiwi.

When I put my hands in the cage to feed her, she comes toward me, is sometimes pretty much in the way of the food. I show it to her and then hang it up. Then I pet her beak and cheeks. When I come into the cage to clean a poop, it's a different story. I use a little bit of toilet paper and she clicks and buzzes, in an aggressive way, and lunges. She has nipped me too. Same thing when I try to change out the boing or a toy. I try to talk sweetly to her, reassure her, but she really doesn't like it. She gets mad when she's on top of the cage and try to clean the poop there. It's not every time, but it's often. I do my cleanups quickly and once a month I put her in the travel cage when I deep clean. If I could effectively clean poop off with my fingers, I could do it with no problem. But that little piece of TP drives her crazy. And I have tried other cloths, but same reaction.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Oh my, that's cute! Upside down invisible Kiwi.

When I put my hands in the cage to feed her, she comes toward me, is sometimes pretty much in the way of the food. I show it to her and then hang it up. Then I pet her beak and cheeks. When I come into the cage to clean a poop, it's a different story. I use a little bit of toilet paper and she clicks and buzzes, in an aggressive way, and lunges. She has nipped me too. Same thing when I try to change out the boing or a toy. I try to talk sweetly to her, reassure her, but she really doesn't like it. She gets mad when she's on top of the cage and try to clean the poop there. It's not every time, but it's often. I do my cleanups quickly and once a month I put her in the travel cage when I deep clean. If I could effectively clean poop off with my fingers, I could do it with no problem. But that little piece of TP drives her crazy. And I have tried other cloths, but same reaction.
So how does Gigi act with you when she is outside of her cage?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So how does Gigi act with you when she is outside of her cage?
She is wonderful outside the cage. From the floor or chair, she steps right up. Although she occasionally runs a little from me because I think she finds the floor pretty interesting and would like to explore. So I just sit and hang with her and she eventually ends up on my lap. She hangs out on the top of the sofa behind me, jumping on and off of my shoulder and working on my hair. She will sit on my finger or my lap, watching TV. After her shower, she will burrow in a towel and let me preen her. She closes her eyes and gets completely flat. I have a standing computer desk and she will stay on my shoulder while I type. I hear her doing the cute get ready for bed noises, grinding her beak and doing some quiet chirping. I can't see if she actually takes a nap but it seems like she might. I can touch her all over, but it's not like she loves it. I am able to put my entire hand around her and give her a kiss. Once outside the cage, she also spends time on top of the cage on the play gym I made, but is quick to do the things she knows I like, like throwing the toys off the side so I get them. I clap and get really excited and she loves the attention.

6 months old tomorrow! I bought Nutri-berries and plan to have a little party, lol.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Kiwi doing? What is his day like? How long till he meets your cockateil?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
How is Kiwi doing? What is his day like? How long till he meets your cockateil?
Kiwi moved into his bigger cage yesterday and wow what a different bird! In the first cage which wasn't terribly small he seemed very unhappy. He didn't really move from the one perch other than to eat and drink water. Now he seems to be playing a bit with his new toys and checking out all the different perches. He has a new boing in the cage but he seems to totally ignore it. :(

So since he is in a bigger cage he also moved into my bedroom for the time being until he gets to move into Woody's bedroom. So last night he met my three pugs that sleep with me. Kiwi seemed really excited to meet them. Not scared at all. I put my youngest pug right up to the cage and Kiwi didn't run away like he does when I come too close to the cage. My two older pugs didn't really notice Kiwi at all but then again they are both pretty much blind. However, Maesy, my youngest pug was more interested in the bird than I would have liked. She spent until two am jumping off the bed every time Kiwi would move or make a little chirping noise. (It was as if he was dreaming Dona, soooo cute). Anyway, I'm glad I had a small chest of drawers in front of Kiwi's cage so Maesy couldn 't get too close to the cage and scare Kiwi, however I don't think Kiwi was nervous of Maesy at all. He seemed to really like having the dogs in the room. Maybe he lived with dogs before? I wish I new something of his background. I may do a search on dogs and birds. I have a cat that is a predator so that is why we have to have Woody and Kiwi stuck in bedrooms. That cat would do anything to kill a bird. :(

I want to eventually be able to open Kiwi's door and have him come out if he wants but now I'm concerned because Maesy seems far too interested in Kiwi. Maybe it was just new to Maesy to have a bird in the bedroom. Hopefully over the next while things will settle down. I covered Kiwi for the night and he didn't mind that at all. I hadn't covered him before but thought it was a good idea to do so now that he is in my room.

He gets to move into Woody's room on August 20th!! That will be 30 days. I hope that is long enough of a quarantine.

I hope one day Kiwi gets comfortable to come out of his cage and hang out on the bed while I watch tv in the evening. I have also thought about opening his door and letting him play in the bedroom by himself. Is that a bad idea? I need to make him a play stand. We use to have one for Woody but we got rid of it a long time ago. Time to make another one. :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news about how Kiwi is doing in the new cage. Wonderful that he is adapting so quickly! You know I read that Linnies often like dogs! Gigi really likes my little grandchildren and they are kind of like puppies, lol. Pugs are adorable. I bet 3 is cuteness overload. So 8/20 will be here before we know it. It will so great for the birds to see each other and to find out how they will react. Hmm, I can't imagine the trouble and the poop that would occur if I let Gigi have a room to herself. But maybe if it's super bird proofed it would work.

Katnap

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katrina
Gemma eats Roudybush crumbles. Loves corn (but I limit to a few kernels), most green leafy things. If I'm sitting on the couch eating she will run up and try to steal from my plate so if I'm eating something that's not bird friendly I always bring a little green leaf lettuce for her. She loves apples, if we wanted to start training we'd probably use apple. She isn't into seeds at all....just runs from a millet spray.
Gemma isn't really into cage toys but Nyla loved anything with a bell. Sometimes new birds need to see others trying new foods or toys to get interested in trying them. If you sit in front of the cage with a toy and gently play with it she might catch on. Also works with new foods if she sees you enjoying it with lots of yummy noises it might spike her interest. You can take a bit and then offer some to her ( but make sure not to give her anything that has touched your mouth...human saliva has bacteria that can seriously harm birds).

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Great news about how Kiwi is doing in the new cage. Wonderful that he is adapting so quickly! You know I read that Linnies often like dogs! Gigi really likes my little grandchildren and they are kind of like puppies, lol. Pugs are adorable. I bet 3 is cuteness overload. So 8/20 will be here before we know it. It will so great for the birds to see each other and to find out how they will react. Hmm, I can't imagine the trouble and the poop that would occur if I let Gigi have a room to herself. But maybe if it's super bird proofed it would work.
Dona, I just had to tell you my news!!! The last two mornings Kiwi has decided he loves my cooking and is now eating his mash with whole veggies added to it. I put in a few whole peas and some corn kernels and today I put in some egg whites and he is loving it!! Oh yeah I did sprinkle some of his seeds on top to get him to try it and he is not only eating the seeds, he is eating the mash. I'm so dang excited. Now to get Woody my cockatiel to eat some. He will only eat egg whites so far.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dona, I just had to tell you my news!!! The last two mornings Kiwi has decided he loves my cooking and is now eating his mash with whole veggies added to it. I put in a few whole peas and some corn kernels and today I put in some egg whites and he is loving it!! Oh yeah I did sprinkle some of his seeds on top to get him to try it and he is not only eating the seeds, he is eating the mash. I'm so dang excited. Now to get Woody my cockatiel to eat some. He will only eat egg whites so far.
YAY Kiwi! I'm so happy for you! That's the best news! We are such mamas to our babies and need them to have a varied diet.