• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Linnies Favorites?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I just rescued a 2017 banded untamed Turquoise Linnie. I am hoping to work with it and tame it. I am wondering if you can tell me what your Linnie's favorites things are?

Favorite Fruit?
Favorite Veggies?
Favorite treat?
Favorite type of seed?
Favorite type of pellet?
Favorite toys?

Any other favorites would be appreciated as well.

I am thinking of naming it Kiwi but would love to get some other suggestions for a Turquoise Linnie name.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Denise! Your baby is lovely! I love my Linnie! She will be 6 months old on 8/1.

Gigi was weaned on to Roudybush pellets and ate nothing else for almost 4 months, despite me offering lots of choices. Then I tried offering World Cuisine soft food each morning and on day 22, she ate it and has been eating it ever since. They have a lot of varieties that include veggies, fruits and beans. She eats them all but African Sunset was her first favorite, so I sprinkle a little of that on top of the others. I continue to try other things with no success at this point.

Gigi is not a fan of new things in her cage. She warms up slowly. I now put a new toy in her least used section of the cage, away from her food. After she begins to check it out (it might take 3-4 days) I move it to her favorite toy spot. She prefers the toys to be on the small size. She really likes her newest toy from the breeder that has leather, tied in knots, and beads. She has lots of types of natural perches in her cage, a rope swing and a rope boing that runs through the middle.

Kiwi seems to be a popular bird name, it's super cute. I named Gigi as I brought her home from the breeder. I was talking to her in her little box and said "What am I going to name my little green girl?" Then I thought G.G. or Gigi! :)

Best of luck with your baby! Tell us all about her!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Mine like roudybush pellets, chop with carrots and beets, and all types of toys that their tiny beaks can chew up and destroy. They love natural perches and swings.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
And showers. Linnies LOVE showers.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And showers. Linnies LOVE showers.
So true! Gigi wasn't sure at first about showers or baths. But now I spray her with warm water and she slowly gets lower and lower until she is flat with her wings out. It's hilarious!

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I tried the spray bottle on Kiwi yesterday but he wasn't too happy about it at all. I will keep trying.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was recommended to me to lightly mist from above with warm water. That eventually did the trick and Gigi really likes it.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Yeah that's what I do with my tiel and he loves it. Hopefully Kiwi will end up having fun with it as well.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My Linnies had a love for being spritzed with water, so much that they both hung upside-down to get a good soaking all over. As far as food goes they really ate anything I put in a dish for them. They are not fussy eaters. I fed Harrisons extra fine pellets.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
My Linnies had a love for being spritzed with water, so much that they both hung upside-down to get a good soaking all over. As far as food goes they really ate anything I put in a dish for them. They are not fussy eaters. I fed Harrisons extra fine pellets.
Do you no longer have any linnies Dianne?

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I just rescued a 2017 banded untamed Turquoise Linnie. I am hoping to work with it and tame it. I am wondering if you can tell me what your Linnie's favorites things are?

I am thinking of naming it Kiwi but would love to get some other suggestions for a Turquoise Linnie name.
First, congratulations on your new Linnie! Kiwi is an adorable name!

As far as favorites, my Linnie is a bit picky, she eats seeds not pellets, I've giving her sprouts, but she won't try them, she loves apples and all sorts of greens, but her favorite treat is Lafeber's Nutri-Berries. We used the Nutri-Berries as kinda of a training tool. Everytime she came out of her cage we gave her one, then she got to the point of coming over to us.

Good luck with your new little one!!

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise

As far as favorites, my Linnie is a bit picky, she eats seeds not pellets, I've giving her sprouts, but she won't try them, she loves apples and all sorts of greens, but her favorite treat is Lafeber's Nutri-Berries. We used the Nutri-Berries as kinda of a training tool. Everytime she came out of her cage we gave her one, then she got to the point of coming over to us.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to try with my linnie. I made a mash with the usual seeds and grains and tons of veggies but so far it goes untouched. Even when I add a bit of sweet baby food or seeds or millet, it still goes untouched. Today I have tried blueberries, raspberries and cucumber. No dice. :glinnie:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I want to buy some Nutriberries to see if Gigi is interested. How does Charlie handle them? Can she pick them up? What size do you buy?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I want to buy some Nutriberries to see if Gigi is interested. How does Charlie handle them? Can she pick them up? What size do you buy?
I bought a bag and so far my cockatiel nor Kiwi will even look at them. :(

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can see my girl freaking out. She is such a combo of brave and terrified. But I think I will give them a try since so many of the folks on this site recommend them.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I can see my girl freaking out. She is such a combo of brave and terrified. But I think I will give them a try since so many of the folks on this site recommend them.
Yeah hopefully it's just a matter of the birds getting use to them. I'm going to keep trying. It doesn't matter what I put in Kiwi's cage he won't touch anything other than his seeds. :( I've been offering him mash every day as well as different fruits and veggies with no luck at all. He only wants his seeds. He also doesn't play with any of his toys in his cage. I have a feeling he didn't have anything but seeds since he was born and maybe no toys to play with. I wish I knew more about his background. :( Hopefully one day he will come out of his shell and enjoy all the fun stuff he has in his life now. I can't wait until I can put his cage into the room with Woody my cockatiel. They both whistle at lot to each other. I can't wait till they can meet each other.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah hopefully it's just a matter of the birds getting use to them. I'm going to keep trying. It doesn't matter what I put in Kiwi's cage he won't touch anything other than his seeds. :( I've been offering him mash every day as well as different fruits and veggies with no luck at all. He only wants his seeds. He also doesn't play with any of his toys in his cage. I have a feeling he didn't have anything but seeds since he was born and maybe no toys to play with. I wish I knew more about his background. :( Hopefully one day he will come out of his shell and enjoy all the fun stuff he has in his life now. I can't wait until I can put his cage into the room with Woody my cockatiel. They both whistle at lot to each other. I can't wait till they can meet each other.
Yeah, Gigi is sloooowww to warm up. She was weaned on to Roudybush pellets so that was helpful. It took her many months to eat her soft food and she is often very concerned by new toys. But then she responds with gusto! Right now she is hanging upside down from a leather and bead toy, biting and buzzing. I'm sure Kiwi will come out of his shell eventually. But it will be Linnie time, lol, and gosh you will need patience.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Yeah, Gigi is sloooowww to warm up. She was weaned on to Roudybush pellets so that was helpful. It took her many months to eat her soft food and she is often very concerned by new toys. But then she responds with gusto! Right now she is hanging upside down from a leather and bead toy, biting and buzzing. I'm sure Kiwi will come out of his shell eventually. But it will be Linnie time, lol, and gosh you will need patience.
Thanks Dona, I have a feeling you are absolutely right and that it will require a lot of patience from me before Kiwi comes out of his shell. I hate that I upset him so much just by adding food to his cage. I really wish he would understand that I would never hurt him. I suppose he will figure it out eventually. :) I feel bad that he doesn't play with any of his toys. What a boring life he is having right now. He does love talking with Woody first thing in the morning. I can't wait till they will be allowed to see each other. I think that will boost little Kiwi's spirits.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Dona, I have a feeling you are absolutely right and that it will require a lot of patience from me before Kiwi comes out of his shell. I hate that I upset him so much just by adding food to his cage. I really wish he would understand that I would never hurt him. I suppose he will figure it out eventually. :) I feel bad that he doesn't play with any of his toys. What a boring life he is having right now. He does love talking with Woody first thing in the morning. I can't wait till they will be allowed to see each other. I think that will boost little Kiwi's spirits.
Aww Kiwi. Gigi isn't crazy about my hands in her cage except when I deliver food. Although I now pet her beak and cheeks after the food each time. Just to get her a little more OK with my hands in her cage. Gigi also seems pretty worried by large toys, so most of hers are pretty small. I agree Woody could really lift her spirits. I love cockatiels. I've had 2 in the past and they were awesome family birds.