• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your favourite fish

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I love koi. We have a pond where we keep ours. Some are over eight years old. They recognize us and when they see our faces they race over to be fed. Any strangers faces? They hide under the rocks. My favorite of our koi is the flying koi because every once in a while they jump like orcas out of the pond. It makes me happy. They're not moving too much right now as it's winter and eating as slowed but we have about a dozen.

We practice and teach aquaponics. We love all fish really. Genesis Clock Farm | Sustainability, Education And Aquaponics - Urban And Environmental Planning It's a re-circulating water system where you have a tank of fish you feed, their waste is pumped to the plants and they feed off of the waste. We've raised tilapia, catfish and rainbow trout but all for eating. We've raised crayfish and freshwater lobsters. We've been able to breed the Tilapia and catfish. The Rainbow Trout was really really hard as they are the greyhounds of the sea so we had to pump water hard in a circular tank to make them think they were swimming in a strong stream all the time.

Be it as that may, you use 98% less water, no added ingredients to the veggies otherwise you kill the fish. It's better than organics and everything grows about five times faster on average. The downside is light. I used both passive and lights and I was lucky companies wanted to know what our production rate was so we got a lot of free things to try out from sprouting to seeds and even huge units that would be put up by the Aquaponic's Association. We've had John Parr who is a trendsetter in this industry come and give speeches and we've done dinners to raise money and awareness. Imagine instead of just a filter, have a pump that pushes the water up into plants, the plants take all the excrement as food and clean water flushes back to the fish. We also have a professional filter (we have three actually) that can clean the bits and we use it as fertilizer because it's that fish fertilizer they sell at the store except it's in my massive sponge that collects it in my filter. I use the hose and spray the gunk into my plants and the next day it's magic for them.