• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Amazon's favorite foraging toy (or similar sized bird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela_tiger_1999

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Angela
I was wanting to get Emma a foraging toy and would like your input on what's your Amazon's favorite. I was thinking about this Nature's Instinct Rings of Fortune - FORAGING TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE (it's a nature's instinct's ring of fortune) The video of the cockatoo using it is great but I'm not sure if my Amazon could figure it out like a cockatoo :rolleyes: so what do you guys use?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wasabi has the Four Big Drawers. It's easy to open and to see the treat. :) It's under foraging. The link I am trying to link won't work.

Last edited:

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
Hey Terri :D
Thank you for responding...does it take him a while to open the drawers or has he figured it out and now he gets all the treats really fast? Just wondering how long he spends messing with it

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ha! That's Missy's D2 Zoe! He's such a cutie! I have this toy for a few of my birds and my complaint is that once you turn the top correctly, the rest seem to fall through...It's a fairly easy one to figure out actually.

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
Jen,
wow that's good to know, I thought it looked hard to figure out..I guess I should give the birdie's more credit :rolleyes:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Honestly, I think it's harder for me to figure out how to make it harder to get the treat out than it is for the birds to actually get the treat out! Maybe it's me! LOL!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Jen,
wow that's good to know, I thought it looked hard to figure out..I guess I should give the birdie's more credit :rolleyes:
Angela a funny story from PU, they got a new foraging toy in and couldn't figure out how to get it to work or open. Easy solution they gave it to a cockatoo :rofl: . Viola, now that is saying something for their intelligence.

You can also do homemade foraging toys also I know we all want to support our favorite stores cut sometimes you can't and homemade can be a good thing.

Take a couple of EJ's favorite treats and put them inside a paper coffee filter or white paper towel or a Dixie cup and twist the end, once he figures them out then you make it a little more difficult. Just a couple of ideas.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Max's favorite 'store bought' foraging toy is the Avian Innovations Original Foraging toy. Main page He loves this toy and it's pretty easy plus if your zon is a wood chipper he will enjoy destroying the toy to get to his treats.

Max's favorite 'home made' foraging/destroying toy is super easy to make. I take one of those cardboard type drink carriers you get at fast food places, poke his veggie skewer thing through it for cage hanging and I hide treats and foot toys in each of the 4 drink slots, either putting treats in coffee filters, cupcake liners, paper towels or whatever I have on hand. Or I just cover the treats and toys with shredded paper for them to dig through.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once the big bad Amazon got accustomed to the site of the Four Big Drawers foraging thingie and saw the yummy nuts in there, it was easy as pie to open for Wasabi to open. I very much recommend it for beginners. I think W is bored with it now, lol.

Oh, I did not exactly answer: it took him 5 seconds to open! To start off, I put a big nut (almond in the shell) in one of the top compartments and closed it. Once he opened that, I put another nut in the compartment below and closed it so that he had to work a bit harder to get at the drawer below. His perches are placed on either side of the box and it is a bit harder to get at the lower compartment. But he's a nut 'ho, so he'll do what it takes.

What is really easy is to put a treat in a paper cup, show him the nut going into the cup, give the cup a couple of twists, put it in one of the drawers and close the drawer. :) The cup is an easy reach when it's in one of the drawers.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Max's favorite 'store bought' foraging toy is the Avian Innovations Original Foraging toy. Main page He loves this toy and it's pretty easy plus if your zon is a wood chipper he will enjoy destroying the toy to get to his treats.
Do you recall the price? I don't see it on the website.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Terri, I want to say the medium size, which is the size I usually get Max, is around 15 dollars. I'll check and let you know for sure.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Danny enjoys his chest of drawers - I dont bother with food treats anymore, but stuff the drawers full of his foot toys and he pulls them out during the day :) The other one I have is a 'Medium Hide-N-Seek' (Big Beaks Bird Toys) and it's the only place I feed him almonds from - he get's excited when he sees me filling it.. lol.

Neither toy is really a challenge, but it does give him a little extra to do :D I'm sure he's more than smart enough to take on tougher challenges!

Status
Not open for further replies.