• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young non-weened caique begging for food

Trent84

Strolling the yard
You should do formula first thing in the morning then offer his other foods. It sounds crazy but babies are much more willing to try and explore foods after a feeding. Good security. There is lots of information on that in weaning by abundance articles.

Delayed weaning can be linked with a chronic low grade infection. Often those are difficult to detect but very common in unweaned/weaning babies

Good luck with your cutie !
Thank you!
I'll definitely try this way! Mornings are so delicate for him. I wake up earlier than my bf and he's so happy when he sees him and the flock is reunited.
From what I understand, abundance is also giving all the food possible to have him explore new flavours and textures. Whenever I'm having apples, bananas or something else he can eat, I'm happy to share.
He's actually very interested in new foods, he knows which the treats bag is (nuts, sunflower seeds, dry fruits etc) and dives IN it. Whatever I'm cleaning/cutting/washing in the kitchen, he knows that's food. It's quite dangerous sometimes because he'd dive on our boiling espresso cups if we don't pay attention.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Trent84

Strolling the yard
Update on Mickey!
He's taking formula twice a day and he doesn't beg so much anymore..he does a modest screech when we're eating something. We show up whenever we're having fruit so we can share, and he's so happy.
Here is him eating quinoa and broccoli, he literally adores it.
Thank you for the advices, I was a little anxious but the results are already showing as he's more relaxed about food. Also, we're eating healthier as well, which is not too bad!

Trent84

Strolling the yard
Hello here! I'm here again for another question. Hope it will be the last, I'm sorry to be so demanding.
Mickey is growing strong and eats pretty much everything we eat. We make sure to share every food he can eat, most of the times sitting with him and he also does his little screeches (not the super loud ones) whenever I'm in the kitchen, exactly as @Irishj9 said.
We still feed him with formula twice a day, but we got to the point that, especially in the evening, he seems to forget about it and he'd just play with us for a good hour, then relax and preen himself and our hair. When I show him the syringe tho, he suddenly wakes up and still wants it. I honestly don't know if I can now cut it and substitute with other food (maybe something warm like a squashed banana, that he loves) or keep feeding him as long as he'll refuse it at all.
What would you do?
Please note that I don't mind to hand feed him, I'm just not sure that formula would be good for his digestive system in the long run.
Thanks a lot guys, you're helping so much!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I always let my babies forget about the formula gradually. Once theyre eating with the adult birds, I start to drop the formula routine.

Also remember theres a very long list of things we eat which are bad for a caique: all those salty snacks, chocolate, avocado. meat products etc etc. All are very bad for a creature designed to live in the treetops, FAR AWAY from Wendys or McDonalds

Trent84

Strolling the yard
Oh absolutely!!
I have all my human food when he doesn't see me!
He currently eats fruits, vegetables, some unsalted pasta (occasionally) toasted wholewheat bread, seeds -no sunflower- pellets.
He doesn't particularly likes nuts, I guess because they're hard and difficult to break. He's a little lazy and a little spoiled, because if he cries he always has an alternative.
He's alone so he doesn't have any adult bird to take example from, but I'll try and see what happens.
I didn't know that weaning could be so stressful.