• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Young grey parrot with spasms.

Manu

Moving in
Hi, My three months old grey parrot hand fed by myself from 10 days old (the parents are also mine), is suffering from spasms (especially at night) with foot tapping which is immediately accompanied by wing flipping... this occurred after he flew out four 2 days until we found him back (one week ago), he was almost weaned then but now it seems that after that little escape event there is regression back to hand feeding dependency…. Do you thing these 2 days escape had a too high psychological effect on him? Any other suggestion? maybe 2 days fast caused food deficiency? What should I do now to help him recovering?

Thanks a lot.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should be taking him to an avian vet first and foremost. Spasms are a symptom of neurological order. Possibly trauma. What you need is a professional accurate diagnosis. You can't get that here.

If you don't have an avian vet and your breeding birds. Shame on you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto John. Could be seizures. Only an avian vet can help this bird. Please do not say there is none where you live because if this is the case then you need to travel to where there is one. I hope the bird will be restored back to health. How did your bird get outside?

Manu

Moving in
"shame on you" what a welcome...
I have an avian vet and he is already aware about this situation and trying to figure out the reasons of those spasms...and I am also sure that any additional information and suggestion could be valuable.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I apologize. This should have been the first line in your post.
I have an avian vet and he is already aware about this situation and trying to figure out the reasons of those spasms
So what tests did he run and what was his diagnosis?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Seizures (which it sounds like your bird is having) can be caused by many things. My Hank's seizures were caused by too low blood sugar but that is generally from heart or circulatory issues. I'm afraid that your baby's illness is beyond our capability to diagnose over the internet.

I hope your vet can find out why, but many times seizures are idiopathic.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My BG expirenced wing twitching and foot twitching when he had avian gastric yeast so it's not unheard of for this to be bacterial or fungal in nature. What tests did your vet run? Seems consistent to pick up something during his escape, less unlikely for the time frame. You would think it would be advanced symptoms.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little baby, I'm glad he got back safe. I hope you and your vet can figure out what the problem is. Please keep us posted!
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your grey will be OK. Sending positive thoughts your way. What tests did the vet do?

Manu

Moving in
Thanks to all for your kind support.
At this stage the vet carried out cloacal and buccal swabs for bacterial contamination evaluation....
Unfortunately, she (the vet) seems not to be very experienced with that kind of symptoms... I pouch forward to get her support and in parallel trying to contact an additional avian Vet....
I am leaving in Israel at it is not simple to reach Avian Vet with parrots experience :-(...

Manu

Moving in
I just had now a conversation with a poultry vet (who has also experience with parrot as vet of few parrot breeders), in fact this vet work in my company, I am the registration manager of a company that is producing poultry vaccines (so a lot of vets around :))... According to him after confirming no physical trauma signs and taking into account the age of the parrot he is convinced that it is a post psychological traumatic respond - he suggested me to hand feed him and to multiply physical contacts and to play a lot with him....