• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Young Congo African with twisted neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

terreurdenuit

Sitting on the front steps
I went to my local breeder the other day and she gave me a Congo African baby (probably 12-13 weeks judging by the feathers) who had a twisted neck. The breeder claims that the mother stepped on her.
I took her to my vet friend and she thinks that it was fractured and then healed. Her neck has a large U-shaped bend and is almost completely bent upside down. Her crop comes up on her shoulders (moreso the right one) and sometimes bulges around her neck. She's not in pain, and does everything completely normally. I'm handfeeding her, and the vet made her a neck splint so I can do muscle therapy and try to get her to hold it up.
She's doing better in getting the strength to hold it up. I wanted advice on what I should do to further her therapy. I'm an experienced bird handler, but I've never had a rescue like this. Her head is stuck sideways unless I hold it in upwards in place. The splint helps her keep the neck straight, but her head is still sideways.
Is there anything else I should do to further treatment? I want to do as much as I can to ensure that she will be happy and live a somewhat normal life. The crop scares me in the position it is in, but she is eating normally and her fecals are fine.
Any advice?
Thank you!

Also, she has fecals stuck to her tail because the breeder had her in a flat box. I've been trying to get it off, but I don't want to stress her out more than I need to. It's dried and hard, I tried washing it off with warm water but it wasn't very effective. What should I do?

EDIT//
I took a few pictures. The first is when the splint wasn't complete, so therefore it wasn't effective yet. The second is with the full splint, and the third is her snuggling next to me.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very glad that you rescued this baby..now there is another lady on here who has a grey with stargazing syndrome which sort of sounds the same as what you have...as for the fecals...try to gently hold her while getting some warm soapy water (dawn dish detergent only.) hopefully someone will come on to help you..poor sweetheart

terreurdenuit

Thank you, I will try that.
I found a story on here of someone who received a CAG with what looks like the same problem.
I'm hoping I can just straighten her neck out, she can't walk well because her head drags the ground.

terreurdenuit

Yes, I just found the story.
I am really happy her CAG turned out fine, I'm hoping mine will do the same.
Thank you!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, that is the story..Gemini....we are all praying for your baby..please let us know how it goes and keep us posted..bless your heart for giving this baby a chance.

Sailor's Mom

Sprinting down the street
Awwww thank you for taking this baby in and doing all you can for a normal life. Bless you! :hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Thank you for rescuing her :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Welcome to the Avenue:hug8:I'm so glad that You have taken this baby in and will give it a Great chance at life:DI will answer Your PM with some of what I did with Gemini(and Helped GiggleButts first Parront) do with Her-as she also has the same problem! I Look forward to Helping get this little one on the road to independance:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Over the years I have had several tiel babies that had this problem. The only thing that worked was having the vet show me (and supply me with the meds) to do a once weekly shot for 4-6 weeks, of Vitamin E with selenium, and also another weekly injection of B-complex.

it's something you might want to ask your vet about. A slight improvement will be seen after the first shot...but a dramatic improvement by the 4-5 week. By about 2 months the birds were holding their helds normally.

terreurdenuit

Over the years I have had several tiel babies that had this problem. The only thing that worked was having the vet show me (and supply me with the meds) to do a once weekly shot for 4-6 weeks, of Vitamin E with selenium, and also another weekly injection of B-complex.

it's something you might want to ask your vet about. A slight improvement will be seen after the first shot...but a dramatic improvement by the 4-5 week. By about 2 months the birds were holding their helds normally.
Thank you so much!
I will make sure to ask tomorrow.
Is this something you have to buy from a vet or can you get it at a store?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It is best to get it from a vet. An avian vet would know the right ratio to mix the Vitamin E with Selenium, and he can calculate the correct dosage.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Best of luck and that last picture just melted my heart. So glad you found our forum. Thank you for taking this precious one in. :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I want to thank you for taking this little darling into your home. What an adorable baby. I love the last picture. You will do fine with guidance of those who have experienced the same with their babies here. I look forward to your baby's progress.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
OMG That Baby is SO adorable-My heart is melting:hug8::heart: I would defiantly talk to the Vet about what Susan mentioned.I pray that it will work for this Sweet baby!Avian medicine has come a long way in the past 20 years!:hug8:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
AWWWWW. Sweet baby- I am so glad she is in your hands and has the chance for a bright future! I have no help with the main issue, but you might try cleaning the dried poo with vinegar. It can help dissolve dried messes, so might help!

Status
Not open for further replies.