• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young Caique (Need advice)

Ryan10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ryan
Hey. I'm no stranger to this forum, but being a new owner, I figured it was time to sign up and join the conversation. There were a couple things I was hoping for advice on. I just took in a WB caique. He's close to 3 months old and has been weaned. However, I quickly noticed that the man who gave him to me had severely clipped his wings and his tail feathers were sparse and in poor condition. Because of this, he seemed to have trouble with perching and coordination, after a couple slips and falls I moved him back into his travel cage. We wanted to try to do recall training for a week or so, and ensure that he was physically able and coordinated enough to move to his larger cage. But given his distrust with me I'm worried this will take quite a while, and obviously I don't want him to be cooped up in a tiny cage for weeks on end. The travel cage is open for 3-4 hours a day and he's free to walk around, explore and stretch his wings, but I'm concerned about keeping him in such a small cage. I just want him to be safe. Any advice? Am I doing the right thing?

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Maybe put a lot of platform perches in his bigger cage. They are much harder to fall off of. https://www.amazon.com/Keersi-Platf...604327913&sprefix=platform+per,aps,178&sr=8-6

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I would try lowering the perches. And what kind of perches are you using?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Yes, low perches in the regular cage should do. Also correct me if I'm wrong guys but if you keep the toys on the sides and keep the middle somewhat empty, then falls will be direct to the bottom without hitting anything so in a medium sized cage this shouldn't be too bad. And birds are light so a fall does not have much impact from such heights.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
In addition to what the others have said caiques are excellent climbers so if you have a tall cage they will likely climb all over it anyways. You can pad the bottom with a towel or fleece just watch that there are no threads or anything for them to get tangled on.

In addition, three months is quite young so please keep an eye on behavior and if you can weigh the bird each day (in grams) to make sure he is not losing weight and is getting enough to eat.

If you have any questions please be sure to ask.

Congrats on your new caique.

Ryan10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ryan
Thank you for the advice. He's doing much better already and I think I'll move him to the large cage and keep a close eye on him. In terms of food, he never seems to stop eating. All I've read are concerns over losing weight, now I'm worried he's eating too much. I've done research on Caique care for well over a year before I committed to one, and yet somehow I still feel very overwhelmed. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welave:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hey. I'm no stranger to this forum, but being a new owner, I figured it was time to sign up and join the conversation. There were a couple things I was hoping for advice on. I just took in a WB caique. He's close to 3 months old and has been weaned. However, I quickly noticed that the man who gave him to me had severely clipped his wings and his tail feathers were sparse and in poor condition. Because of this, he seemed to have trouble with perching and coordination, after a couple slips and falls I moved him back into his travel cage. We wanted to try to do recall training for a week or so, and ensure that he was physically able and coordinated enough to move to his larger cage. But given his distrust with me I'm worried this will take quite a while, and obviously I don't want him to be cooped up in a tiny cage for weeks on end. The travel cage is open for 3-4 hours a day and he's free to walk around, explore and stretch his wings, but I'm concerned about keeping him in such a small cage. I just want him to be safe. Any advice? Am I doing the right thing?
If he can't fly (more ignorant wing butchery), then why are you worried about a cage?.

He needs darkness, peace, quiet and lots of food variety. Let him play near you and don't force him. Let his feathers grow out for God's sake