• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You have to look down at times when filming wild Eclectus at their nests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polytelismedia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Don Kimball
I am thinking that many of us here get a rush out of watching Eclectus. Colorful and charasmatic it was a joy to film them on the Cape York Penninsula in Queensland, Australia at their nest sites. But you have to keep your eyes on the ground sometimes...:D

This short and blunt and great looking little snake is actually a Death Adder. You have only a relatively short time to make it to the emergency room if you get bit. Needless to say I filmed him from a distance...:p

Lucky for this female Eclectus that her chosen nesting spot was so far up in a tree that her babies would be totally safe. And Death adders are not built for tree climbing anyway.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How scary,glad you didnt get bite. Great shot of the Ekkie momma.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Ohhh yeah this is why I tell m'lady that we're not going to australia. Too many things might kill you!

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
April.. Yes I am glad I didnt get bit too. A bit of a funny story though I was near an Eclectus nest the next day and got tired of being on my feet so knelt at the side of the trail to watch for birds. Then a sharp stabbing pain to my knee! Death Adder I thought!!! nope... just a stinging nettle.. lol..

Oh and after you finish filming the Eclectus you can trot over to the beach nearby and go for a swim because its so hot there...NOT!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:eek: Great pic of the death adder, and scary!! Do you happen to know what sub-species that ekkie is? Is it only the macgillivrayi that live in Australia I think?

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
:eek: Great pic of the death adder, and scary!! Do you happen to know what sub-species that ekkie is? Is it only the macgillivrayi that live in Australia I think?
/B]

Hi Erika:
The most common subspecies in Australia is indeed macgilivrayi... like the birds I filmed at Lockhart River in the Iron Range National Park. However on the offshore islands of Torres Strait still in Northern Queensland you can also find the subspecies Eclectus roratus polychloros. This subspecies is found on the southern coast of New Guinea as well. Good observation on your part!

MarleysMom

Real Name
Debbie
I don't think I could every look up again if I saw that snake. I am petrified of the smallest garden snake. Thanks for all the pictures you show of the beautiful birds though.

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
Debbie I can see you now if you owned the DVD that this still image was taken from fast forwarding through this clip with the death adder... grin..

Actually with being on foot for most of my 6 months in Australia I only saw about 8 snakes total which isnt all that much overall. Aussies of course think we are nuts for being so paranoid of reptiles and one of my mates' eyes get huge when he talks about the courage that I must have camping in North America in bear country. He cant even imagine doing something like that...

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
One of the local Aussies from New South Wales and a great mate of mine who left his wife and 5 kids to travel with me for 21 days! Greg was a regular Steve Irwin and always looking for reptiles. Here he stands way too close for my comfort to the death adder for a better picture. Watch your legs mate!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When I told a friend in Australia about the young black bears that appear in the Harrisburg suburbs every year in the early spring, she had a cow. She, too, thought they were extremely scary and dangerous; very far from the truth! Like any wild animals, just leave them alone and call the wildlife guys to get them moved.

Snakes are a factor in birdwatching here in PA as well. I do not know how many copperheads and watermoccasins I have come across while birdwatching. The only poisonous snake I have never seen while birdwatching is the Eastern Rattler. One moccasin I actually almost stepped on and I would have if he hadnt seen me first and gave out a very loud hiss threat with his mouth gaping wide open. Whew!

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Very cool picture of the female Eclectus, Don. As for the snake... :omg:

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
Ohhh yeah this is why I tell m'lady that we're not going to australia. Too many things might kill you!
i'm still alive!!! it's not that bad

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What an experience!! Don't like those snakes, though.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If I ever get an opportunity to go to Oz, I am going! I used to be fixated on going to Africa; but now I think Australia is the place for me! YES!!!

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Lois:

There is no way you will regret going to Australia. Its a parrot lovers dream. There are more diverse forms of parrots here than any other continent in the world. I saw and filmed each one except for the rare Night Parrot so was extremely fortunate. Its one of those things I wanted to do all my life and figured why wait until retirement age and do it as a 53 year old instead. I figured it would be a good way to make lemonade out of lemons. Meaning I was given the pink slip along with 300 others at the large corporation I worked at as our jobs were outsourced elsewhere. Also I wasnt sure if when I am a 60 -70 something year old I could live in a tent and pack 50 lbs of gear. Oh by the way in case you want to see more parrot pics you can always check out my blog:
2008 August « Australian Parrots

Lots of parrot pics to see and I am always delighted to hear questions about the trip or just what all of you thought of it.

Cheers!

Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.