• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You Guys Tried to Tell Me

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since I have only 1 caique, I am the one that has to play with him, and he is very demanding of my time. And he likes to play ROUGH! I wouldn't trust him to play with another type of bird that isn't up to that level of ferocity... the other bird would get hurt! He loves to cuddle, but when he's had enough of that, he grabs my hand with his beak and flips. I'm supposed to wrestle with him, and roll him around on his back. Sometimes, he forgets that my fingers are too tender, and we're still working on learning how hard is ok to nip or grab. He also loves to perch on one hand and flip into the other. Sometimes I have to just put him on his gym with the toys, because I can't keep up!
Yours sounds exactly like mine! I have several play stands/gyms, and an extra cage in another room that I can put him in. I also walk him around outside with his harness on - he likes that a lot.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I personally think two are better than one but you really do need o be careful introducing them. Was Rio raised with other caiques. If not then that can complicate things. I had 12 babies from 3 different clutches this year and they all vary. Most will easily accept another bird, I have two that would be more of a challenge. You just never know. It should not make Rio love hubby less, he will just have Rio and the new bird as buddies.

I will say that most young caiques are happy to accept a buddy especially if they were both raised in a group.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is one reason I am not married. One wants and one doesn't want. Somehow there needs to be a compromise where each of you give a little bit. Is this possible?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Get the Birdy a buddy lol your hubby will just have to deal with it

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I personally think two are better than one but you really do need o be careful introducing them. Was Rio raised with other caiques. If not then that can complicate things. I had 12 babies from 3 different clutches this year and they all vary. Most will easily accept another bird, I have two that would be more of a challenge. You just never know. It should not make Rio love hubby less, he will just have Rio and the new bird as buddies.

I will say that most young caiques are happy to accept a buddy especially if they were both raised in a group.
No, he wasn't raised with others. He was hand raised as a single baby.
This is one reason I am not married. One wants and one doesn't want. Somehow there needs to be a compromise where each of you give a little bit. Is this possible?
Now he says we don't even need birds. :bash:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You could ask for his help choosing the right one. My dad always says men like to feel useful and are fixers. Show him the Chickie and Jojo videos and a read him a few of these posts. Let that sink in and then tell him a little bit about each of your favorite candidates.

You can still present the idea as your Christmas present, but if you ask his opinion & he chooses, then he'll probably feel more confident about them getting along with him and each other. And if you've only offered your favorites then you won't be disappointed either way.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You say he's seen videos of caiques playing together? And is still dragging his heels? Remind him that birds are flock animals. They need some kind of flock, whether it's other birds, people, etc. Another caique would enable the bird to have company when you guys are busy. It's enrichment that would, hopefully, always be there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You could ask for his help choosing the right one. My dad always says men like to feel useful and are fixers. Show him the Chickie and Jojo videos and a read him a few of these posts. Let that sink in and then tell him a little bit about each of your favorite candidates.

You can still present the idea as your Christmas present, but if you ask his opinion & he chooses, then he'll probably feel more confident about them getting along with him and each other. And if you've only offered your favorites then you won't be disappointed either way.
Oh he is the king of the fixers. He wants to fix EVERYthING. He also tends to say no to all requests/suggestions/ideas... at first. Then he'll come back to me with his own slant on it (that makes it his idea, I guess)and he's ready. This is the hardest thing for me because I have no patience, and also because to me you discuss, you don't dismiss things out of hand.... and because he is not my PARENT! Lol

Alright today is the day....plotting...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
DONE.

We ate lunch on a rooftop, and boated. I said let's talk about the Rio thing again. He says you know my opinion, and I know yours.

So I said yeah but I never comment on your boat, the dock, fishing etc. Birds are my boating.

"Oh. WEll-okay."

Boom! High fives @Just-passn-thru !!!!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
DONE.

We ate lunch on a rooftop, and boated. I said let's talk about the Rio thing again. He says you know my opinion, and I know yours.

So I said yeah but I never comment on your boat, the dock, fishing etc. Birds are my boating.

"Oh. WEll-okay."

Boom! High fives @Just-passn-thru !!!!
All right way to go! Works like a charm :smug: