• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You Guys Tried to Tell Me

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
As most of you knew, Rio really needs a playmate. We adore him and he gets cuddles and 'out' time and walks on his harness (riding on my shoulder, I do the walking) and I'm working on taking him walking with the little dog in the stroller (he can ride on the handle).

But it's not enough.

So I told hubby he needs a playmate, and hubby insisted 'we' are enough, so one day I never got Rio out then I said did you get him out today? He looked kinda funny and said no. I said see, he needs a companion. Hubby is Rio's favorite person, he even chewed through the screen door on the bird room to get to him. LOL But hubby isn't the main carer -- I am.

I saved up the $ so that wouldn't be an issue. Yesterday I said ok I've contacted everyone with a caique within a 2 hour drive, here's what I know.He immediately objected. First, the money (I knew this would come up). "It's a LOT OF MONEY to spend on a bird." (Honestly. Look what we're spending on our remodel! And the house was fine!)

Then he said look. We have tried to get companions before. We had the first parrotlets (they bonded to each other and ignore us). We have the 2 parrotlets now (they are afraid of each other). "I just don't think it will work out."

I said well we could ask to bring it back if it doesn't work, but that messes with our quarantine period and personally I wouldn't want to take one back after it'd been with other birds.

I want to do this before he gets too much older. Any advice? Come on ladies, I know a lot of you are better than me at convincing men to do things. :D

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Is Rio a caique? He didn't object to the money about the other birds or the remodel, so it's not the money, maybe he is concerned he won't be Rio's favorite person if Rio bonds to another bird? And for the record, I am not good at convincing anyone of anything....

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
Well, I'm certainly not one to advise on this... I just brought the caique home one day. My husband was furious with me for about a week (he even asked on day 3 if we could possible return him, to which I said no), and he still reminds me all the time that "YOU wanted another bird!"

He's still not excited about it. It's only been a month. At least he holds the new baby, and plays with him now.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I can offer this: I have had a Caique as a single bird, and I have had a pair. The pair is much easier, they are happier, and we are happier. Both birds still love to play with us. The single caique was a handful ( and we didn’t know enough then) I now can’t imagine having only one.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is a tough situation but in the long run you have to do what is best for Rio.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I don't ask either, but you already mentioned it so, you might be out of luck for that... I just tell hubby that they do better in pairs. Done. Good luck!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Just get it . Deal with hubby later "or" What works for me sometimes is a compromise. a trade-off. Is there something he would like , that you don't approve of ? bring to his attention he can get what it is he's been wanting or whatever he wants. "Let's make a deal" . Or cut through the chase and just go get it. :cool:
Either way you know your going to get it. :smug:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is Rio a caique? He didn't object to the money about the other birds or the remodel, so it's not the money, maybe he is concerned he won't be Rio's favorite person if Rio bonds to another bird? And for the record, I am not good at convincing anyone of anything....
Yes he is a caique. I think you are right, he's afraid Rio won't be his buddy any more.

Well, I'm certainly not one to advise on this... I just brought the caique home one day. My husband was furious with me for about a week (he even asked on day 3 if we could possible return him, to which I said no), and he still reminds me all the time that "YOU wanted another bird!"

He's still not excited about it. It's only been a month. At least he holds the new baby, and plays with him now.
Hehe. Friends tell me if you 'just bring in' a dog, they're angry for TWO weeks. It took 6 months to convince him we needed my maltese.

You can tell him you're just fostering him............
So evil....:laughing6:

Just get it . Deal with hubby later "or" What works for me sometimes is a compromise. a trade-off. Is there something he would like , that you don't approve of ? bring to his attention he can get what it is he's been wanting or whatever he wants. "Let's make a deal" . Or cut through the chase and just go get it. :cool:
Either way you know your going to get it. :smug:
Oh. OH, OH, OH. :laugh-bounce: We just redid the boat dock, turned it, poured new concrete, installed a new lift. For HIS boat so HE can go fishing.

So the birds are MY "fishing gear." Thank you @Just-passn-thru !!!!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I do feel that it is better to have 2 Caiques, for companionship an caique-play.
Joey is my only Caique so I do spend extra time with him until he wants to be back in his own space and left alone.
Although with two of them, I think you would still have to spend time with the both of them for bonding and socialization. And you are considered part of their flock.
Hope you can get Rio a friend.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes he is a caique. I think you are right, he's afraid Rio won't be his buddy any more.

Hehe. Friends tell me if you 'just bring in' a dog, they're angry for TWO weeks. It took 6 months to convince him we needed my maltese.

So evil....:laughing6:

Oh. OH, OH, OH. :laugh-bounce: We just redid the boat dock, turned it, poured new concrete, installed a new lift. For HIS boat so HE can go fishing.

So the birds are MY "fishing gear." Thank you @Just-passn-thru !!!!

:okwink:

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
Since I have only 1 caique, I am the one that has to play with him, and he is very demanding of my time. And he likes to play ROUGH! I wouldn't trust him to play with another type of bird that isn't up to that level of ferocity... the other bird would get hurt! He loves to cuddle, but when he's had enough of that, he grabs my hand with his beak and flips. I'm supposed to wrestle with him, and roll him around on his back. Sometimes, he forgets that my fingers are too tender, and we're still working on learning how hard is ok to nip or grab. He also loves to perch on one hand and flip into the other. Sometimes I have to just put him on his gym with the toys, because I can't keep up!

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I've been having the same thoughts for Mia, but she came to work with me and did PHENOMENAL today. She was held by everyone, snuggled, played on her play stand, ate and had fun singing for everyone. With as much attention as she gets I think she will be ok :) I know that was not helpful for Rio's situation, but I can see where a single caique would get lonely/bored on their own all day

Krisco

Moving in
And Now for a Man's Opinion : Do what your husband asks lol - just kidding
Get the bird !
Hey it's almost Christmas right - tell him it's your Present - I'm Lucky I have 2 white bellied Caiques 6 and a half months old One male One female Siblings they get along great and I'm quite happy I decided to get 2 from the beginning yea expensive but was the right decision for me it's different introducing a new bird Into the equation I guess I'm no expert but if I was In your shoes I'd try - tell your husband you know what they say - Happy Wifey - Happy Lifey :dance4:

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I always say easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Lol. I’m not good at asking If I can get my birds. I bring them home and he learns to deal with it. Probably not good advice but for us it works ok, at least it has for the past 16 plus years of marriage.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rio will be so happy! He’s still a baby himself so he will accept the new baby. I got Chickie two months after JoJo and they bonded instantly and it is so precious!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He's got a dock AND a boat? Why, isn't that just a paid made in heaven? And yet he'd deny Rio the same perfect pairing?
You're golden. New dock and a boat. Rio gets a buddy.
Hahaha. Yes!

And Now for a Man's Opinion : Do what your husband asks lol - just kidding
I was afraid this wou;d happen...
Get the bird !
Hey it's almost Christmas right - tell him it's your Present - I'm Lucky I have 2 white bellied Caiques 6 and a half months old One male One female Siblings they get along great and I'm quite happy I decided to get 2 from the beginning yea expensive but was the right decision for me it's different introducing a new bird Into the equation I guess I'm no expert but if I was In your shoes I'd try - tell your husband you know what they say - Happy Wifey - Happy Lifey :dance4:
Haha. He did just ask me what I want for Christmas, and I said just get me a couple Pandora breads and he shook his head. Soooo yeah.

I always say easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Lol. I’m not good at asking If I can get my birds. I bring them home and he learns to deal with it. Probably not good advice but for us it works ok, at least it has for the past 16 plus years of marriage.
That is not how we have ever been. We are coming up on 10 years. But if I found a great deal I'd have to go ahead and pounce on it, right??
Rio will be so happy! He’s still a baby himself so he will accept the new baby. I got Chickie two months after JoJo and they bonded instantly and it is so precious!
This is hubby;s main concern, that they won't get along. He has seen Jojo/Chickie videos ... I will tell him.

Much food for thought!