• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Yoshi seems to be in pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
He's making a pain squawk every time he puts too much weight on his left leg and seems to guarding it . He complains when I touch his leg- his foot seems to be fine. I can't see any visible injury, but there's definitely something wrong. He is using that leg and doesn't seem to be limping, but he's walking around very slowly.

He did jump from the wingdow to the kitchen floor so I'm thinking he might of strained it. He doesn't seem to be in too much trouble- he's preening and eating and playing. We're going to see if he's still bothering him tomorrow and make a vet appointment if so.

Is there anything we can do to help the discomfort for now? :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would put him in a confined area where he can't use it too much. Perches and food low down. Minimize movement and climbing until you find out what's wrong. He probably will need a prescription for pain meds.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is Yoshi a boy or girl? Does the vent area look swollen?

Ginger

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Is Yoshi a boy or girl? Does the vent area look swollen?

Ginger
Yoshi is a 9 month old male. His vent seems fine and his poops are fine. I checked him over when he was on his back (which he likes to do) and he only complains when I touch that leg. Thanks for the advice!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor Yoshi, sounds like he sprained it. If you make a cayenne salve (creamy paste) and rub it on the leg and foot it will help with pain and inflammation. Also give some cayenne to eat.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awww poor little guy. I hope he is feeling better soon :hug8:

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Poor Yoshi, sounds like he sprained it. If you make a cayenne salve (creamy paste) and rub it on the leg and foot it will help with pain and inflammation. Also give some cayenne to eat.
What are the ingredients of the salve? Just water and cayenne, or should I add flour? Thanks so much for the advice!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Aww, poor Yoshi!! He's in our prayers :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Don't know if you can use flour (will have to see what Gary says when he sees this) . I used just cayenne and water.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How long has this been going on? I would watch him closely. He may have sprained that leg but he may have also did further damage to another part of his body, say his pelvis(a commonly broken bone a bird can break when clipped and falls to the ground).

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
How long has this been going on? I would watch him closely. He may have sprained that leg but he may have also did further damage to another part of his body, say his pelvis(a commonly broken bone a bird can break when clipped and falls to the ground).
It just happened this evening. He only complained when I touched his leg. I felt his stomach around that area and he didn't complain. Is there anyway I could check to see if more is injured? Thanks for the advice!

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear Yoshi is hurting, I would recommend you put him on a soft perch if you have one until it isn't a discomfort. Sounds like an injury of some kind, maybe a fall. We put one of our little macaws in the bottom of the cage on a towel and card board wrapped around the cage so he wasn't able to climb until his injury was healed. I would recommend he see a vet ASAP to determine the extent of the injury.

Last edited:

southernbirds

Poor little guy must have moved wrong and twisted his leg. I think you have gotten great advice so far.

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
I agree with Big Blues I would take him to a avian vet and let them check him out ;)

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, let's hope the problem is nothing more than a sprain. My suggestions for pain: mix cayenne pepper with either water or
ACV to a paste and lightly apply it to the leg that appears to be in pain. Cayenne is messy but it will help with the pain. Do you have metacam? If you do send me a PM as it would also help with pain and inflammation. Keep a close eye on the little guy and keep us posted.

If you are in doubt about Yoshi's condition please call your avian vet.

Here is a link about cayenne and acv: Cayenne + ACV This is one of many links on the use of cayenne and ACV or water. Cayenne and ACV are both safe for birds.

Last edited:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I'm sorry about Yoshi. I hope he feels better soon. :hug8:

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
So sorry to hear Yoshi is hurting, I would recommend you put him on a soft perch if you have one until it isn't a discomfort. Sounds like an injury of some kind, maybe a fall. We put one of our little macaws in the bottom of the cage on a towel and card board wrapped around the cage so he wasn't able to climb until his injury was healed. I would recommend he see a vet ASAP to determine the extent of the injury.
That won't be a problem- he sleeps on a boing. Would it be a good idea to put a towel at the body of the cage? Earliest appointment would be tomorrow afternoon, unfortunately. :( Thanks for the advice!

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Hi, let's hope the problem is nothing more than a sprain. My suggestions for pain: mix cayenne pepper with either water or
ACV to a paste and lightly apply it to the leg that appears to be in pain. Cayenne is messy but it will help with the pain. Do you have metacam? If you do send me a PM as it would also help with pain and inflammation. Keep a close eye on the little guy and keep us posted.

If you are in doubt about Yoshi's condition please call your avian vet.

Here is a link about cayenne and acv: Cayenne + ACV
Thank you very much! I will do that. I'm afraid I don't know what a metacam is.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That won't be a problem- he sleeps on a boing. Would it be a good idea to put a towel at the body of the cage? Earliest appointment would be tomorrow afternoon, unfortunately. :( Thanks for the advice!
I think it would be easier on him so he doesn't climb around the cage and hurt himself more. Putting card board around the sides so he can't climb and hurt it in the morning could be a concern and you could put his regular bowls of food, water and toys in the bottom.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thank you very much! I will do that. I'm afraid I don't know what a metacam is.
Not a problem if you don't have it. You are doing a good job helping Yoshi. Be very careful and do not put a lot of pressure on his leg when applying the cayenne. Come back and update up on a regular basis as we all worry about how Yoshi is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.