• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yorkshire Terrier

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
So today I went to visit a Yorkshire terrier he is 7 years old and very active.I brought him out for a long walk and I found out he is scared of cats and the cat actually chased us for about 5 seconds and he was so scared.His owner said he gets along good other animals and she actually had a parrot herself once.He is a great dog and I miss him terribly.My mam is now having second thoughts and doesn't think I will look after him how can I convince her and I don't blame her she got attached to two dogs and they ended up dead.Im of course older now and much more responsible.His owner said she needs to talk to her husband and let him know the dog is going because it was his dog and she will drop him off on Saturday and she wants to say her goodbyes.His name is Pluto and he liked me very much too he didn't want me to leave lol.He also has a hair trimmer so ill probably have to get the groomer to show me how to use it.Ill post more pics of him later.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Fostering may be a good option.
Though I'm slightly concerned since you're looking at a bunch of terriers, they have a much higher prey drive.
Take more caution with that.
You'll have to take exercise more seriously with terriers, 2-3 long walks per day is a must.

But thank you for thinking of an older dog, I adopted a 8 year old Doxin(who passed at 15) and just recently a 6 year old Chihuahua mix; they make the best companions. :)
Good luck!

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
His owner said she will come over on Saturday and talk to my mam about letting me foster him for a few days and then I can keep him if my mam thinks I can take care of him.Pluto is afraid of cats is that weird lol thats the first time I saw a cat chase a dog its supposed to be the opposite lol.He also is fine around other animals his owner said he might be playful with birds so not to let him near them.I can bring him for a long walk before school and then again after school and then before night.10-12 years is old age for Yorkshire terriers.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I have a friend who's Yorkie is going on 15, but 7 is considered a bit older then adult.
I agree on keeping him away from your birds, and it's not uncommon for a cat to scare a dog.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I have a friend who's Yorkie is going on 15, but 7 is considered a bit older then adult.
I agree on keeping him away from your birds, and it's not uncommon for a cat to scare a dog.
Yeah ill make sure to keep the door closed.Ill probably spend most time outside playing and going for walks.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad the yorkie may have worked out after all :)

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
How will you manage your time to allow the dog outside time and who will look after him while you are giving your birds their time? Since you have to factor in school. Who will take care of him then? Will he be in a crate to ensure your birds safety? Or to ensure he is not let out without a leash? Just asking these questions to see if you've planned it out

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
How will you manage your time to allow the dog outside time and who will look after him while you are giving your birds their time? Since you have to factor in school. Who will take care of him then? Will he be in a crate to ensure your birds safety? Or to ensure he is not let out without a leash? Just asking these questions to see if you've planned it out
What do u mean manage my time? I have lots of free time to bring him out for walks and play in the garden.I have sisters and a Mother who will be spending time with him too.And my mam is at home when im in School.He would more likely be wanting to play with the birds than kill them and the birds room will be closed off limits.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Excitement and the desire to kill something are basically one in the same with dogs and small animals.

Even if he "just wants to play", I wouldn't let him out with them or around them, for your birds safety.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Excitement and the desire to kill something are basically one in the same with dogs and small animals.

Even if he "just wants to play", I wouldn't let him out with them or around them, for your birds safety.
Thats what I said my room will be off limits because he could be excited and lick them or step on them

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Dogs don't know how to play gently with a small animal such as a bird, mouse, hamster, etc.

Period

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
They can be trained how to "leave" the animal alone but it is not in their nature to truly coexist.
I would never trust them together unless you want to take such a giant chance.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Do you know why the owner is giving away a dog that belongs to her husband without asking him?
Suppose the husband does not want Pluto to go?

You really seem wanting of a dog. It will be a big life change. Do you have all 4 birds in your room even Tiko?
I still think it will be hard to close off your room & go about sharing your life with a dog & birds but that's up to you.
Luckily you have your sisters & Mom to supervise dog when you are in your room with the birds.

I hope it works out. a older Yorkie seems like a nice dog.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Do you know why the owner is giving away a dog that belongs to her husband without asking him?
Suppose the husband does not want Pluto to go?

You really seem wanting of a dog. It will be a big life change. Do you have all 4 birds in your room even Tiko?
I still think it will be hard to close off your room & go about sharing your life with a dog & birds but that's up to you.
Luckily you have your sisters & Mom to supervise dog when you are in your room with the birds.

I hope it works out. a older Yorkie seems like a nice dog.
Tiko is with my mam most of the time so wont be close to the dog.Her husband does know, its his dog he dosent want him.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
So Pluto is coming tomorrow and im fostering him for a few days but my mam had a long talk with me last night and there was some tears, she said she is not ready for another dog yet and she still has nightmares of going through that red light to get to Rocky and she has been depressed since he died 2 years ago and I told her another dog might help with that and I have also been depressed since Rocky died and I sit in my bedroom all the time and I have become very quiet in school since then and a dog would get me back to normal and outside in the world again.She said when shes ready she will get another dog but I feel like me and Pluto are meant to be together.Im not asking for any help because this is something my Mam has to do alone and its her decision.