• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yey! Always good to learn a fish you didn't think had lived a week is still around 2 months later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmichelle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I have a small, man-made pond in the backyard. It was here when I bought the house.

Anyway, we haven't been having great luck with goldfish lately. The pond has had a net over it the past month or so because predators have been getting the fish.

So, for a few weeks, we've been thinking Rex was our only goldfish. We're keeping the pond covered with a net except when cleaning it twice a week, been testing the water periodically, getting the water to clear up a bit more, checking to make sure Rex is still okay, etc. before adding any more fish. Today, we decided, would be the day when we'd get him a couple buddies, so he wouldn't be all alone.

Before we went to the store today, however, I cleaned the pond. And... what do I find? Rex is hanging out with a much smaller friend! That friend is Natty! Natty is a very darkly colored goldfish (one reason I had chosen him - I figured he wouldn't be as visible to possible predators) that we had purchased over two months ago! I didn't think he'd survived the first week! I've seen no sign of him since... none. And we'd even been IN that pond for a deep cleaning of it since he was put in it. I thought either something had gotten him or I'd failed to acclimate him to the water sufficiently before releasing him. But... there he is! Over two months later! Chilling with Rex!

So, no need to get Rex a friend at this point. He has one! :laughing12:Crazy that we spotted him today... just before we were going to go get another fish! :lol:My husband was so excited when I told him Natty was alive, and in the pond, that he came running out to the pond in his pjs this morning!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Re: Yey! Always good to learn a fish you didn't think had lived a week is still around 2 months late

:dance4::dance4:Great news!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Re: Yey! Always good to learn a fish you didn't think had lived a week is still around 2 months late

So cool the buddies have been playing hide and seek with you! :lol:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)

:hehe:Glad he's alive!:dance4:

qmichelle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle

Thanks, all! Me, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.