• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

yes!! raptor has started eating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
... NATURAL COLORED PELLETS!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

He was raised on the largest sized Fruit ZuPreem for his first 1 1/2 years, since he lived with all large birds, and REFUSED to eat anything else. We had tried the smaller sized Fruit ZuPreem (to minimize waste) and he starved himself because the size was just plain unacceptable to him. After having him for six months or so, I tried to get him on Harrison's Coarse, as Mika is on the Fine (as well as TOPS). I really wanted Raptor on an organic pellet. He refused. He wouldn't even eat Power Treats. I think Harrison's is just too dense and hard for him to enjoy (whereas ZuPreem is light and airy). I was determined to get him off the dyed pellets, though... I just knew it'd be a long process and I would take breaks in between trying to get him onto another pellet.

My next round at trying was going to be Roudybush, but we went to a pet store (that has two resident Greys that we like to play with) today after lunch and decided to buy the Zupreem Natural (for LARGE parrots, of course, because he's SUCH a large bird :rolleyes:). We came home, I put him on his Happy Perch and gave him the new pellet, expecting him to drop it immediately. Well................. HE ATE IT!! He ate a little over half of one before dropping the rest!! :dance5: :dancing: :laughing12: I'm sooooooooo proud of Rappy!! I yelled to the bf that he ate the pellet and he didn't believe me. Hehe.

So now, we'll be using the rest of his Fruit Blend, mixed with the Natural, until all the icky dyed ones are gone and he'll fully transition to the Natural. It may not be organic like I want, but I am so extremely happy right now that I don't care!! After another few months or so, I may try to blend the ZuPreem Natural with TOPS but I have a feeling he wouldn't like it because it crumbles easily. He likes something he can crunch into.

Instinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jillian
What a good boy Raptor is! :laughing12:
Glad to hear he is finally eating pellets. I had some trouble with my conure, finally bought him Roudybush which he absolutely loves.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Thanks, guys!! We are very, very, very happy and proud!! At first, I thought visiting the Indian Ringneck at a client's house (we do wing clips and nail trims) and two Greys at the pet store were the highlights of my day - but THIS blows both out of the water!! :dance4:

Glad to hear he is finally eating pellets. I had some trouble with my conure, finally bought him Roudybush which he absolutely loves.
He was actually already eating pellets when we adopted him - he was just eating one that I didn't want him eating. I think the Fruit ZuPreem pellets are a GREAT "transition" pellet to wean seed-eating birds onto pellets (as I did with Mika), but I don't think it's a good lifetime pellet mainly due to the dyes. The ideal for me would be for him to eat Harrison's, but it's just too hard for him.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
:highfive: way to go rappy!!!! yes, its napoleon complex... "big" bird must eat big pellets... :D peanut and baby like harrisons, I can't remember how the transition went, I think they just took right to it.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
WAY TO GO RAPTOR!!! Woohooo!

HungryBird

Great news! I think birds are so funny that way! For a while my parakeets would only eat Harrison's but then I finally got them to accept Totally Organic Pellets too.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::dance4::highfive::hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:dance4::dance4:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Way to go Raptor!!!

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
As PICKY as Mika is, transitioning him onto pellets was rather easy using the Fruit ZuPreem. Though he used to ONLY eat the orange ones and constantly had orange poop... I'd say after a good solid three months or so, I switched to Harrison's and, because he was already used to eating pellets, he transitioned smoothly to what I really wanted him on. And I'm really surprised Mika eat TOPS as soon as I introduced it to him - though I'm not 100% sure he's eating it because when I come home there's a bunch of green dust so I'm not sure if he's eating or just breaking the crumplets apart. :confused: What's truly difficult with Mika is getting him to eat fresh foods besides sprouts. :mad:

Raptor, on the other hand, loves certain veggies and loves most fruits but trying to get him on my pellet of choice is like pulling teeth. :rolleyes: Once he's fully transitioned onto the ZuPreem Natural, I'll be so happy not to have dark colored poop (the grape ones) anymore!! I also ordered TOPS for him last night, just a pound bag, to see if he'll try it. If he hates it, I'll just give it to Mika.

Both the birds take after me in the food department - PICKY, PICKY, PICKY! :lol:

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Hooray raptor! Nice work transitioning him to a pellet that doesn't have dyes!

So far I haven't found a bird that doesn't accept the natural zupreem. Both my guys are on it mixed with bountiful harvest and some TOPS.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I mixed the Fruit and Natural ZuPreem in Rappy's bowl this morning and what is the first pellet he grabs to eat? The Natural. :D

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I think you did a great job with raptor i know exactly what u are talking bout i switched to harrisons but gradually put it in there old food and slowly took away the old food i give her the pellets and mix the mash in with her treats or veggies and fruit each day she reminds me of fooling a toddler with veggies hahah but im soo glad raptor starting eating that is awesome

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Thats awesome Maya. I meant to comment on this when you texted me but my phones been dying early in the day. Must be all my aps :rolleyes:

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Thats awesome Maya. I meant to comment on this when you texted me but my phones been dying early in the day. Must be all my aps :rolleyes:
I keep telling you... get another phone (again)!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.