• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yes, my Akita is very sweet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
both breeds are not known for their extreme aversion to biting.
What does this statement even mean?? "Not known for their extreme aversion to biting"? Are you saying that they are known for biting? Not really. They can bite, all breeds can, but they are not "known for biting". They are big and when big dogs bite they can do more damage than a small dog generally. The issue is that if they are aggressive, they are usually serious about it.

The bottom line is that I can tell you from working in pet hospitals, owning a grooming shop and being a dog trainer for the past 25+ years is that you generally get a feeling for how the dog is and how they are going to be. Just in interacting with them, you feel like, I think this guy is comfortable and will be okay, or, you know what, I can't put my finger on it, but I am not going to push that dog. If there is any question it is reasonable to muzzle the animal. However, the correct way to approach the client is to explain that their dog is large and that they feel he or she is not comfortable and for everyone's safety would you mind if we used a muzzle, rather than yelling that "we'll need a muzzle because it's an Akita". It is up to us to advocate for our dogs. In the past month I have done two classes at vets office. One for clients and staff on relaxation and handling for dogs while at the vet and last week one for just the staff whose doctor wants to start using and advocating for positive reinforcement methods. Not all vets understand about behavior and there are things we can all do to make it better for our dogs and safer for the staff.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It's the little ones{NO offense to little dog people} that are less predictable in my experience. My dog is akita and lab, and a big softy like Kitana. I had a little dog bite me pretty bad once...and the woman said" oh he has never done that before" after asking me to grab him for her as he had run off.
Kitana is so sweet.:heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Really, small dogs are no more or less predictable than large dogs. They are all individuals.

It's the little ones{NO offense to little dog people} that are less predictable in my experience. My dog is akita and lab, and a big softy like Kitana. I had a little dog bite me pretty bad once...and the woman said" oh he has never done that before" after asking me to grab him for her as he had run off.
Kitana is so sweet.:heart:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Adorable :heart:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I had larger dogs it was even more important to me. The fact is that large dogs like Akitas and German Shepherds (which is what I had) can do serious damage if they choose to
That's why I allowed her to be muzzled, I knew he was not comfortable with her. I'm sure he'll be a lot better next time.

I love Akitas and would love to get one someday. How old was she when you got her?
Kitana was 8 weeks old when we got her. Our first Akita (King RIP) was 3 yo when we got him, and Raiden (RIP) was a mannerless 70lb 7 month old with separation anxiety who turned into the perfect dog :heart:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
My guess is that they knew that they were going to have to do something uncomfortable for her and the muzzle would provide distraction. They teach you in tech school to be aware of certain breeds that can have issues, that includes large and small breeds. I'm glad that Kitana is good, but remember that the clinics clientele have probably taught the staff that you can't take an owners word.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Seem like she is a big baby :heart:

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
We just got a PitBull puppy. He is the biggest goofus ever. He wags his tail so hard it hits him in his belly on either side, he sits in the car and looks around and pins hi eyes on someone he wants to say hi to, and gets all sad when the person goes out of sight. He loves the cats (one in particular) and goes up to them to lick them and when they get mad he goes away all sad and bummed out that his kitty friend is mad. Most of those big and/or scary breeds are sweeter than some of the others. Pits are the best dogs I've ever met.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart::heart:Just love her.

Paradox81

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dennis
shes beautiful, I've always been around large breeds and currently have a husky, and german shepherd and it kills me how many people are afraid of Diesel because they say he looks like a wolf and also he has two different colored eyes. My male rott was 125lbs and was a big baby but he scared everyone he met.

Status
Not open for further replies.