• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Yen lost all her taifeathers

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
If it's not one thing, it's fifty others. She likes sitting on my dad's door handle, and her feathers got caught in the mechanism. I didn't even know this was even possible, she's been sitting on it with no issues for a long while.

She's not bleeding and seemed to be able to fly just fine, but my poor baby's so terrified. She flew around the room in a blind panic and is now hiding in my shirt. Is there anything I can do to help her at all? There aren't any broken bits, they all just came clean out.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Perhaps it scared her and she released them...if they are clean and no blood just keep an eye on her. Poor thing. :hug8:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Perhaps it scared her and she released them...if they are clean and no blood just keep an eye on her. Poor thing. :hug8:
Thank you. Her feathers are clean and the shafts all seem to be there. I didn't know lovebirds also dropped their feathers like this.
Yen's calmed down a lot, but she's not coming out of my shirt for seeds or money.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Yen! It probably just freightened her. Boy, you have your hands full lately!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think she will be ok. There’s no blood, but keep a close eye on her. Just in case she begins to bleed-God forbid- do you have something that will stop the bleeding, such as corn starch or Kwic Stop? Kwic Stop is made for that purpose. I have something called Super Clot. I think I have Kwic Stop too.
In an emergency, corn starch. Sorry if you know all that.

If there is no blood or other trauma, keep her in your shirt til she settles down. Does she sleep near you?
If she is still upset at bedtime, could sleep near you?

One of my males knocked his feathers off a long time ago, but not all of them and he did not bleed, so all was well.

I hope she feels better.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I think she will be ok. There’s no blood, but keep a close eye on her. Just in case she begins to bleed-God forbid- do you have something that will stop the bleeding, such as corn starch or Kwic Stop? Kwic Stop is made for that purpose. I have something called Super Clot. I think I have Kwic Stop too, I think.
In an emergency, corn starch. Sorry if you know all that.

If there is no blood or other trauma, keep her in your shirt til she settles down. Does she sleep near you?
If she is still upset at bedtime, could sleep near you.

One of my males knocked his feathers off a long time ago, but not all of them and he did not bleed, so all was well.

I hope she feels better.
I have corn starch, but no kwic stop, but I am going to the vet later on today. If it's better than corn starch, I'll just grab some.

She sleeps in my room a few feet from my bed. There's no blood, no signs of injuries, and she let me touch her entire body as I looked her over. If she's still very afraid, I can set up a little end-table and move her closer.

Yen thankfully didn't fly into anything when she flew around the room in a panic. She just landed on me and let me inspect her all over while getting her cuddles..

Still no blood. I checked her over while giving her her kisses.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh man I am sorry you have so much going on! Glad poor Yen is going to be okay!! How exactly did she get caught? Henkie always waits on the doorhandle on the inside of my room when I leave for a few minutes to het something.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Poops are normal, too. She just went on my shirt. no blood, no excess liquid, just a normal poop.

Oh man I am sorry you have so much going on! Glad poor Yen is going to be okay!! How exactly did she get caught? Henkie always waits on the doorhandle on the inside of my room when I leave for a few minutes to get something.
My dad has one of those long, tin handles. I think she might have been sitting too close to the base of the door handle. My brother was just coming out to ask me something, and from what we saw, it looks like they got caught in it while my brother was pulling down on the other side.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poops are normal, too. She just went on my shirt. no blood, no excess liquid, just a normal poop.
Yay:loveshower:

And thank you! Then I think it is okay for Henkie to sit on my door handle, but I Will encourage other spots just to be safe!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yay:loveshower:

And thank you! Then I think it is okay for Henkie to sit on my door handle, but I Will encourage other spots just to be safe!
No problem, I really hope you can avoid this sort of thing with Henkie. I didn't even know this could be an issue, she enjoyed playing with the handle. She'd sit on it and scream for my brother to pull it down on the other side and launch her into the air, or would play 'ambush the humans' and wait quietly for them to come out. Maybe you could attach one of those shower perches to the door, just above the handle?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
No problem, I really hope you can avoid this sort of thing with Henkie. I didn't even know this could be an issue, she enjoyed playing with the handle. She'd sit on it and scream for my brother to pull it down on the other side and launch her into the air, or would play 'ambush the humans' and wait quietly for them to come out. Maybe you could attach one of those shower perches to the door, just above the handle?
Hey that is a GREAT idea! I have one lying around I don’t use anymore! Thank you very much:heart: Yen sounds so cute, she really is a huge character isn’t she?:heart:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Hey that is a GREAT idea! I have one lying around I don’t use anymore! Thank you very much:heart: Yen sounds so cute, she really is a huge character isn’t she?:heart:
No problem, I hope it works to protect your bird!

And she really is. My aunt came by just now and Yen wouldn't get out of my shirt so I let her be. She finally popped her head out as I was bringing in the bags and telling my aunt what happened. Just as my aunt turned to look at her, she crawled out onto my chest and pooped on me. I sarcastically said thank you to her, and she screamed at me, it almost sounded like she said 'welcome'.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
And she really is. My aunt came by just now and Yen wouldn't get out of my shirt so I let her be. She finally popped her head out as I was bringing in the bags and telling my aunt what happened. Just as my aunt turned to look at her, she crawled out onto my chest and pooped on me. I sarcastically said thank you to her, and she screamed at me, it almost sounded like she said 'welcome'.
Ooo that is too adorable!:heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Lucky her foot didn’t get caught!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Ouch!! She's still beautiful

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Lucky her foot didn’t get caught!
I knowww. We've covered the doorknob now so she can't get at it anymore. My dad's a little annoyed, but it's for her safety, so he can be peeved all he wants. xP

Ouch!! She's still beautiful
She really is. Yen'd look stunning even if she was completely naked.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm glad she is all right now and not otherwise hurt. :hug8:
Yen's calmed down a lot, but she's not coming out of my shirt for seeds or money.
Just as my aunt turned to look at her, she crawled out onto my chest and pooped on me. I sarcastically said thank you to her, and she screamed at me, it almost sounded like she said 'welcome'.
Your humor in the face of adversity is admirable! :laughin: