• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yellowhead Amazon molting question

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I looked at the first picture, I thought it looked like a double yellow head baby. Although a lightly marked one. The last picture does slightly resemble some yellow napes. I still think it's probably a double yellow head. I guess his owner will just have to wait and see how he develops. It's also possible that he's a cross of subspecies or even has a yellow nape grandparent throwing off the colors a little bit. Either way, it looks like a happy bird.

@DClark molting crazy numbers of feathers in a short period of time is somewhat normal. Each molt can be different with some heavier and some lighter. Although the juvenile molt tends to be a heavier one and sometimes produces some transient yellow feathers that disappear in subsequent molts. That is my experience with napes anyway. A lot of true yellow napes will start getting some yellow tipped feathers on their nape with the first molt.

DClark

Moving in
Real Name
David Goodnight
When I looked at the first picture, I thought it looked like a double yellow head baby. Although a lightly marked one. The last picture does slightly resemble some yellow napes. I still think it's probably a double yellow head. I guess his owner will just have to wait and see how he develops. It's also possible that he's a cross of subspecies or even has a yellow nape grandparent throwing off the colors a little bit. Either way, it looks like a happy bird.

@DClark molting crazy numbers of feathers in a short period of time is somewhat normal. Each molt can be different with some heavier and some lighter. Although the juvenile molt tends to be a heavier one and sometimes produces some transient yellow feathers that disappear in subsequent molts. That is my experience with napes anyway. A lot of true yellow napes will start getting some yellow tipped feathers on their nape with the first molt.
Thank you for the reply !

jessem101

Meeting neighbors
That close up picture suggests a parvipes yellow nape. That bird has some black bristles on its nares. DYAs do not. Yellow crowned amazons do not have horn-colored beaks. I don't think it's a Panama, either. I'd like to know who the breeder is and see a picture of the parent birds. @melissasparrots ???
great catch..yes I will be curious to see pics of the parents. hard to tell with juveniles

DClark

Moving in
Real Name
David Goodnight
Hey, I know it's been a while but wanted to respond to the above questions. I wasn't able to get pictures of the parents. Only information I have is that it's a Yellowhead Amazon. When coming back to this post and seeing the pics I posted back then, he has changed a bit since that last molt. He has had some yellow come in covering his eyes and around his beak. Also has a decent amount of yellow on his legs now. Will post some pictures. That last molt seemed like like it lasted forever lol... Now he appears to be molting again. Which I guess is normal ? It seems to be lighter than the last. Good news is almost all the clipped flights have fallen out now, so I can work on flight training soon.
20240404_151437.jpg 20240404_151430.jpg 20240327_200336.jpg 20240417_162830.jpg