• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yellow red rumped

Y.J

Moving in
I have a pair of yellow red rumped in a cage of (LxWxH) (3'x2'x2.5').I want to put that pair in my budgie cage which is 14ft x 12ft x 8ft is it safe for these to species live together as cage is quite big in size.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Matt

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
These are different species of birds but in the same family. Have you had a chance to observe them close together as in cages next to eachother? Do they sit and play together outside of the cages?

Reactions: Y.J

Y.J

Moving in
Yes I observe them by placing their (red rumped) cage in budgie cage rumped become happy and become more vocal but whenever any of budgie try to climb near their nest box they become aggressive and attack.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I would be a bit concerned about the size difference as the Red Rumped parrots are at the very least twice the size of the budgies, if not larger. However if you do attempt this as the budgies cage is certainly large enough, I would strongly suggest that the nest box be eliminated so as to not be a bone of contention between them.

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
I would not put them in the same cage. They budgies are smaller and cant get away if they get attacked, I think it is too risky.