• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Yellow poop?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Whoa a minute...want to make sure they are the SAME tree....
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Elm.html
Botanical name: Holoptelea integrifolia Family: Ulmaceae (Elm family)
Synonyms: Ulmus integrifolia

Slippery Elm

Ulmus rubra

Indigenous to North America, slippery elm trees normally breed in damp, but not drenched forests in the United States as well as in eastern parts of neighboring Canada.
botanical.com - A Modern Herbal | Elm, Slippery

See if "your" Indian Elm can be used like the "slippery Elm" here....you might have more info on it in your area than I do...:hug8:

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle

Could this be egg laying behaviour and if it is can it cause difference in poop???
Yes, and yes. Polyuria and loose stool (diarrhea) often precede egg laying. In these cases, it's fairly typical for the droppings to become more wattery.

However, beware egg binding! It's a potentially fatal condition which can require the intervention of an avian vet.

Here's a nice link about egg related issues:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/egglaying.php

should i still be worried abt her? shall i keep an eye on her?

Worrying doesn't accomplish much, but since birds can succomb to illness so quickly, you should always be keeping a careful eye out.

(posted from my mobile)

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Whoa a minute...want to make sure they are the SAME tree....
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Elm.html
Botanical name: Holoptelea integrifolia Family: Ulmaceae (Elm family)
Synonyms: Ulmus integrifolia

Slippery Elm

Ulmus rubra

Indigenous to North America, slippery elm trees normally breed in damp, but not drenched forests in the United States as well as in eastern parts of neighboring Canada.
botanical.com - A Modern Herbal | Elm, Slippery

See if "your" Indian Elm can be used like the "slippery Elm" here....you might have more info on it in your area than I do...:hug8:
I'll find all the information possible on the elm i'm talking abt.
thanks

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Yes, and yes. Polyuria and loose stool (diarrhea) often precede egg laying. In these cases, it's fairly typical for the droppings to become more wattery.

However, beware egg binding! It's a potentially fatal condition which can require the intervention of an avian vet.
This is my worst fear :(:(:(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Juhi just try to stay calm. Our minds can go crazy conjuring up the worst. You are being proactive but dont drive yourself crazy either. :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You're welcome. Thats ok Juhi, maybe the other thread will compile some additional items.

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle

This is my worst fear :(:(:(
Sorry :(.

I don't mean to scare you- based on your description, your bird doesn't seem to be showing symptoms of egg binding. I just mean to caution you so you can look out for the signs. A few years ago, I lost a very much beloved bird after she was egg bound; I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

I'd like to clarify something. Even if you're not capable of taking the bird to the vet due to distance, I know that there are vets who are more than willing to do phone consultations. If it comes down to a condition you're really afraid of, I'd bring your bird to a non-avian vet, and have them talk to an avian vet. While certain diagnostics (i.e. white counts) differ a lot between species, others (like a gram stain, for example) are very similar between a human and a bird. If it comes down to it, it's a hell of a lot better to do something than nothing.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Juhi how are things going? Just checking in with you. :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Here is an artilcle I was working on (incomplete) that tell what to look for if egg laying is the cause: Egg Related Problems - Just Cockatiels!
Thats a great article, thank you soo much. i'll keep checking on it:hug8:
Sorry :(.

I don't mean to scare you- based on your description, your bird doesn't seem to be showing symptoms of egg binding. I just mean to caution you so you can look out for the signs. A few years ago, I lost a very much beloved bird after she was egg bound; I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

I'd like to clarify something. Even if you're not capable of taking the bird to the vet due to distance, I know that there are vets who are more than willing to do phone consultations. If it comes down to a condition you're really afraid of, I'd bring your bird to a non-avian vet, and have them talk to an avian vet. While certain diagnostics (i.e. white counts) differ a lot between species, others (like a gram stain, for example) are very similar between a human and a bird. If it comes down to it, it's a hell of a lot better to do something than nothing.
i'm pretty much sure its the egg laying behavior. i'm keeping an eye on her for any symptoms for egg binding

Juhi how are things going? Just checking in with you. :hug8:
Thanks pat,i'm sorry haven't been around much past couple of days. i had my HSG test done this morning and was pretty much in pain the entire day and it was really exhausting but i'm much better now
As for Mitthu and Chhotu both of their poops are watery though normal color!But chhotu is spening lot of time at the bottom shredding paper and destroying perches
I think i'll make another thread abt Chhotu, because i think it is egg laying behavior and i will need lot of info and help on that!

Fruits and Veggie are a MUST HAVE part of their daily diet! they give me a hard time if they don't get them. should i avoid fruit and veggies for a couple of days and see how their poop is?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Juhi it does sound like nesting behavior. There are things you can do to try and reduce that behavior. Why dont you start a new thread about that? Lots of people have experience with egg laying. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.