• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Yellow poop, what's causing it ????

anuska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anuska
Hi all , I just noticed that my amazon Fid is pooping yellow , it was the first time it happened , I will attach a picture , if anyone knows what is the cause please share some advice , I am organizing to see the vet asap but there is only one vet in Trinidad trained to see exotic birds so I know he won't see him right away , if anyone can advice me what to do meanwhile I am grateful .

Attachments

anuska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anuska
Update : my other amazon is pooping yellow as well , hers a more runny and less intense yellow , I'm starting to wonder if it's the egg yolks that they ate yesterday that's causing the yellow pigmentation because they're both eating quite normal and playing as normal birthing seems out of the ordinary.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
What did he eat prior to the yellow poop?
Did he eat mango perhaps?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It could be something he ate. Go over his diet for the last few days carefully to determine if it could have been that. Liver issues are yellow and lime green. Usually the urine and urates are yellow and the feces become puffy and a light dull green. Liver disease is developed over a length of time and it is serious. Amazons are more susceptible to liver diseases, especially if they are overweight.

The yolks wouldn't change the color, under normal circumstances. But egg yolk shouldn't be fed to parrots because of the very high fat content and the animal protein.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Does the poop have an odor?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Those pictures look like it was something they ate. The urates are bright white, the urine is clear and the feces are a bright yellow. How many egg yolks did you give them yesterday? Can you think of anything else they may have eaten?

anuska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anuska
They've had some mangoes and watermelons a few days ago , a little bit of peach, plum,and apples yesterday.They also had some curried chick peas which I'm guessing the curry could possibly cause the yellowing ? We're from the Caribbean and so my vet advises that I feed them what we cook , so they usually have fresh veges every morning with a slice of whole wheat toast or some fruits , and they usually have rice at lunch with a staple and whatever protein we cook. I know to some of you this may seem odd but it's very common here in my country.

They both had half an egg yolk each with a small piece of whole wheat slice, but they usually eat the yolks mostly and leave the whites

Last edited:

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
One time when I had my tiel' I had been feeding her lots of scrambled eggs over a few days and suddenly her droppings were yellow, though not as extreme.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's the curry - I'm pretty sure. There was a member on AA some time ago who had a hard time finding pellets in particular. His name is Chad and he had a Greenwing baby named Robert. His Greenwing flew away and we have not heard from him since. Do you know him?

anuska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anuska
It's the curry - I'm pretty sure. There was a member on AA some time ago who had a hard time finding pellets in particular. His name is Chad and he had a Greenwing baby named Robert. His Greenwing flew away and we have not heard from him since. Do you know him?
I don't think so , I'm not very active much on here as I'm a full time student but that sounds terrible, I hope he was somehow able to find him.We don't have pellets here in Trinidad , and if we do it's most likely going to be chicken feed which I'd rather not feed my fids, I've looked into sourcing them online but shipping rates to here are ridiculous for me to constantly import . I've tried giving them chop because I see a lot of people doing it online but my fids refuse it every single time and so I am forced to go back to feeding them what's on my plate because it's the only way they will eat anythin. They are very picky and they refuse to eat anything that lacks flavour. When they were babies and I took them to the vet he actually told me to just start using supplements in their food ,he said because it wasn't going to make any sense trying to get them to eat fresh veges and get all the required nutrients from that, so that's what I did.

anuska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anuska
I'll monitor the poop for the rest of the day to note any changes , hopefully it is just the curry .

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I think Chad lives in Tabago

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Probably the turmeric in the curry...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like a pretty good diet to me - just no more curry. LOL

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That is good, glad to hear. My red pepper obsessed GCC poops always on the carpet and it leaves great orange stains :(