• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Year Old Hormones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Hi everyone

Is it possible for a year old blue and gold macaw male to be experiencing a rush of hormones? Alex's behavior has changed considerably over the last two days. He brought up some (not great smelling) fluid yesterday that he tried to feed me and he has been biting my forearms, upper arms and hands very painfully. It is almost as if I don't know him at the moment. He wants to be with me as soon as he sees me, but then begins biting straight away.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Alan - the regurgitation is a parent-love thing toward you not a sexual love thing. Jasper was doing the same thing at just a few months, but now a t almost 19 years old doesn't exhibit any sexual behavior toward me.

You really need to get the biting under control, or you will end up not liking your bird very much. Have you been interfering (distracting) with his bites and putting him down when he does bite? Have you been removing his beak and telling him gentle or no bite?

It seems that he wants your company, so you should be able to use that as an encouragement/discouragement to his biting. Let him know that you are not happy when he bites. Sometimes a mean look and a rough Don't will work along with putting him down.

PS - I loved your answer to my shark post, but got busy and didn't respond. I have never let the grass grow under my feet, but my adventures don't
hold a candle to yours. I couldn't find a source for your Moon book.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I wish I could help you--hope the others w/macaw & behavioral expertise see this post soon. In the meantime, I would say "Don't let him bite you, even if that means not allowing him on you, creating a really bad habit." You will have a lifetime together, so for now, I'd leave him be until you can develop a good plan for dealing w/this. Bad habits can be really difficult to change. Good luck to you; I'll be watching for updates.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi Alan, :D Welcome to your year old BG macaw ;) I am in the same situation right now... fun huh? When Korbel bites I tell him gentle, if he continues to bite to hard I sternly tell him NO and put him a distance from me. ( now of course he flys back ) but we do this a few times and he gets the message. Of course we have been doing it for what seems like forever and sometimes I feel it won't end but everyday he does make progress. He also just likes to test me and he feels it is a game. If he wants my attention he has to be nice and gentle or I put him on his playgym. It just takes time.

I would like to mention also. If all of a sudden in a few days he has had an attitude change, is now regurgitating, and it is not smelling the greatest... maybe time to see your vet for a quick checkup. A simple fecal and mouth swab could tell you if maybe he has a small infection going on that would bring on this change. Just a second thought.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Many thanks Sarah, I appreciate the advice. Also reassuring to know that Alex and I are not going through the "biting thing" alone.

Thanks for the comments April - I do hear you.

No problem Mary Lynn - I have also been very busy over the last few days. "I Touched The Moon" is currently only available through me. It has been out for about a year and many copies were sent to the States (and other countries) initially, but I have been wrapped up in work at the Lab of late and have not been marketing at all. Postage was unfortunately high at around $24.00 (registered) and the book was last selling (last exchange rate) for $25.00, so it made it pricy for the overseas market, compared to book that were bought locally in the USA.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I agree about distracting the bird when they start doing this type of thing. My year and a half old Red Bellied is acting the same way. I have been covering my hand with a towel but when she is on my skin I distract or put her down. She wants to be on me so I also keep saying Gentle, gentle. I have to be careful if I see her getting worked up or excited. The pupils get real small, she regurgitates and her mood changes. This means that she needs to calm down or go do something else.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Many thank Katherine. I have been trying the "gentle" approach, but it just needs time I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.