• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yay! New bird owner!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations on your little sweetie. So adorable.

Kethry

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kethry
Congratulations on your little sweetie. So adorable.
Thank you!

Blizzard is still eating and drinking. I'm hoping he'll be more active once he gets use to the cage. He mostly sleeps and will peck at a few of his toys I made. I thought parrotlets were more active. But I'm sure he'll get more playful in time. C:

Kethry

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kethry
Just be patient! He'll come around!
View attachment 277356
I'm trying my best. How would I go about changing his water and his food? I go in and just change them but he seems scared everytime I enter the cage. I try talking sweetly to him but it makes me feel I'm making him trust me less. Since everytime I talk sweetly he stops what he is doing and move to the back of his cage. Then one time he jumped off his perch and landed on the ground(wings clipped before I got him) so I had to pick him up to put him back to his perch... he didn't like that... maybe that made him lose trust with me? :c

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm trying my best. How would I go about changing his water and his food? I go in and just change them but he seems scared everytime I enter the cage. I try talking sweetly to him but it makes me feel I'm making him trust me less. Since everytime I talk sweetly he stops what he is doing and move to the back of his cage. Then one time he jumped off his perch and landed on the ground(wings clipped before I got him) so I had to pick him up to put him back to his perch... he didn't like that... maybe that made him lose trust with me? :c
Our Scott does that. I just change his food and water every morning & a snack in the evening. He's used to the routine now and doesn't back away so far or fast now. He's learned thatI won't grab him and that my hand in his cage means food! :D Your guy will learn it, too. Just change it calmly, if you're nervous or jumpy he can drive it & you could bang things around and spook him. Ignore him if it helps.