• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yay! New bird owner!

Kethry

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kethry
I did it, guys. I got me a bird!
It's a little parrotlet boy. His name is Blizzard (Blizz for short). He is so cute!
I got him yesterday. Today I've been leaving him alone and letting him get used to the sounds and other animals. He is 'handtamed' but he is scared of me still... so I haven't pushed him into anything he didn't want to do. I love him to death. He likes to sit on his perch watching me and making little chirps and squeaks. He hasn't explored his cage yet but he likes some of his toys.
Do you think I should worry he hasn't found his water and food bowl yet? When I let him out yesterday I made sure to show him the water and he'll eat some millet I have hanging around. But I haven't seen him Go to the water and drink. I'm trying to stay calm and let him move at his own pace but I don't want him to die.
To tell the truth I'm so worried about him dying that I'm having nightmares.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Congratulations on your little guy! :D

Are there any seed hulls or pellet bits & dust? That might put your mind at ease. And If his poops look normal he's probably getting water. You can always give him fruits & veggies to up the water, too. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Congrats!

I am assuming the food and water are in the cage, yes? Are you feeding him the same food as he had at his last home? That can help a lot. As for if he's eating and drinking, it's like a baby - check the poop! If he's not pooping he's not eating and if he's not drinking, the clear liquid around the poop may be off color at the edge

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
download (1).jpeg On your new FID. Do you know if he is used to drinking from a bowl or a bottle? If it's a bowl I'm sure he will be fine. Just keep an eye on his panting/breathing.

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
Congratulations on your little guy! :D

Are there any seed hulls or pellet bits & dust? That might put your mind at ease. And If his poops look normal he's probably getting water. You can always give him fruits & veggies to up the water, too. :)
He eats the millet I have out for him and his poops look normal. I've tried to give him some carrots and apples but he hasn't gone near them.
Congrats!

I am assuming the food and water are in the cage, yes? Are you feeding him the same food as he had at his last home? That can help a lot. As for if he's eating and drinking, it's like a baby - check the poop! If he's not pooping he's not eating and if he's not drinking, the clear liquid around the poop may be off color at the edge
Yeah, the food and water are in the cage. The person before had him on a seed mixture. So I have seed mixed and pellets to get him use to them. I have them in separate bowls though. He's mostly sleeping and jumping from perch to perch. He'll explore a little bit and he'll go to where the water is but I haven't seen him go and drink yet. His poops look normal not very watery though.
View attachment 276984 On your new FID. Do you know if he is used to drinking from a bowl or a bottle? If it's a bowl I'm sure he will be fine. Just keep an eye on his panting/breathing.
I have no idea. I would assume a bowl. He seems to be breathing normally. Maybe I'm overreacting?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The poops won't look super watery; they will just have a ring of wetness. Try putting some paper towel down in a spot he tends to poop for a few days and check every few hours. It will make it more apparent and give you more peace of mind.

I rarely see mine drink, but they are also pellet dunkers :lol:

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think you're over reacting...........he will figure it all out as he is exploring the cage. I started out (I have two Lovebirds) putting seed and pellets in different bowls, like you mentioned above. I finally stopped doing that and put pellets in a bowl and then seed mixed in. Heavy on the seed at first, because that's what he is used to. But gradually you can cut back on the seed and have the greater percentage pellets. I always have seed for them but not as much as if they were seed junkies. I feed sprouts too, mine aren't crazy about veggies. Welcome to AA and congratulations on your "Blizzard".

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
The poops won't look super watery; they will just have a ring of wetness. Try putting some paper towel down in a spot he tends to poop for a few days and check every few hours. It will make it more apparent and give you more peace of mind.

I rarely see mine drink, but they are also pellet dunkers :lol:
I have paper towels down now. I'll wait and see and check on it.
I think you're over reacting...........he will figure it all out as he is exploring the cage. I started out (I have two Lovebirds) putting seed and pellets in different bowls, like you mentioned above. I finally stopped doing that and put pellets in a bowl and then seed mixed in. Heavy on the seed at first, because that's what he is used to. But gradually you can cut back on the seed and have the greater percentage pellets. I always have seed for them but not as much as if they were seed junkies. I feed sprouts too, mine aren't crazy about veggies. Welcome to AA and congratulations on your "Blizzard".
That is what I'm going to do. I want him on a pellet and fruit/veggie diet. I've added some foraging toys too. So hopefully he'll try other foods.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Congratulations on your new baby! Parrotlets are da bomb! And - he’ll be able to say “blizz” or something close to it, I’ll bet.

Take it easy - it might be a few days or weeks or even months before his diet becomes what you want it to be. If he is a baby, he may not forage yet either.

I would ask the breeder what kind of water container he had. I use drinkers with a spout, one breeder told me there was no way the bird from her would find that. So I gave it a bowl, a small bowl sitting on the cage floor = there was not way the bird was going to miss that!

My parrotlets would not be excited over apples, but they love berries. They get them all over themselves, it is hilarious. They also like peas, corn, and sweet potato (cooked potato). You might try some of those.

We would like to see pictures. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Nuttyone

Meeting neighbors
AW blizzard is beautiful. Lewie used to perch like this too and it worried me lol. I just lowered the toy onto the side bars and gave him a perch higher up in the corner he likes to sleep in. Worked perfect. Think its something about the height and feeling safe.
Anyway welcome to parrotlets place and AA. Keep us posted on Blizzards progress x

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
AW blizzard is beautiful. Lewie used to perch like this too and it worried me lol. I just lowered the toy onto the side bars and gave him a perch higher up in the corner he likes to sleep in. Worked perfect. Think its something about the height and feeling safe.
Anyway welcome to parrotlets place and AA. Keep us posted on Blizzards progress x
I moved his perch up today so hopefully he'll use it more. ^-^ I caught him eating and drinking. So I'm so happy he is doing a lot better. I open his cage everyday but he doesn't seem to want to come out anymore. Mostly content to sit and watch me. I'm trying to get him use to my voice and the way of life here. : )

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He'll come around. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Buzzard didn't come out of his cage for about a week when he first came to us and then he'd only stand on his door for a few days after that and finally started climbing to the top of his cage. Like @finchly said, he'll come around. It sounds like you're doing everything right; he will get used to his new home. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Blizzard.

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
Buzzard didn't come out of his cage for about a week when he first came to us and then he'd only stand on his door for a few days after that and finally started climbing to the top of his cage. Like @finchly said, he'll come around. It sounds like you're doing everything right; he will get used to his new home. :)
I'm really trying to do good. I want him to be my buddy. I don't want him to be nervous or scared around me. He was handtamed... do you think it'll be easier to get him to step up and to hang around me?