1. ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.

X-Rays For Peeps

Discussion in 'Exit 3 - Macaw & Cockatoo Rescue of NM' started by FoxersArtist, 10/14/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxersArtist

FoxersArtist Sprinting down the street Rescue Representative

Anna
    Peeps went to the vet today to have a second exam because we wanted the vet to check her wounds and also because we feel she has some weakness in her legs, but mostly on the right side. We wanted to have x-rays to be sure the weakness was not a bone issue and also to make sure there was not a mass or tumor pushing on her pelvic area. My vet feels at this time that she is still in too rough of shape to take more blood to do additional testing like a CBC but feels that she is making great progress in such a short period of time and will likely make a good recovery. The x-ray did not show any abnormal bone formation, breaks, tumors or other masses associated with reproduction. What the x-ray did show, however, is that Peeps old owner offered her a constant supply of grit, which she swallowed. We implore all keepers of hookbills from cockatiels to cockatoos - please do not offer your bird grit because it can cause an impaction which can be fatal for your little guy! Parrots do not need grit, and once swallowed, particles of gravel will remain in the system for many months. You can see an accumulation of grit in Peeps gizzard and my vet thinks that this will take a number of months to eventually drain out. Peeps does not yet have an impaction, but we will have to be careful to feed her things that will not further increase the risk of impaction since her gizzard is already so full of gravel. Peeps also has a bit of cellulitis and is already picking at her new pin feathers so she will be put back on antibiotics for the infection, a special water soluble skin creme to help promote further healing of that mutilated area, and benadryl to manage her allergies. Everyone at the vets office was extremely excited to see this little gal and gave her a warm welcome. She's just a super special little sweet heart!

Here are a couple of pictures of her x-rays. I have marked the femur leg/hip bone as well as the gizzard which has a bunch of grit in it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Anna
  2. Kathie

Kathie Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Kathie
    Arghhh! I used to get calls all the time from people about grit and would educate them on why NOT to use grit in birds with a crop. People would insist that they needed it.

Glad Peeps is making good progress. :) That's a bird that could definitely steal your heart away. You are her angel, Anna.
  3. DebysFids

DebysFids Hit the Road

Deby
    glad to hear she is doing better, she is a little doll :)
  4. Tielygirl

Tielygirl Rollerblading along the road

Ashley
    wow! that's a lot of grit! I kind of wish I had photos like this to show people when I worked in a pet store.... I tried my hardest to explain that they don't need grit.

Hope for a speedy recovery! :)
  5. Anne & Gang

Anne & Gang Riding the Skies Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avian Angel

Anne
    bless your heart for helping this little tykey...
  6. HungryBird

HungryBird Rollerblading along the road

Poor little girl. I have always wondered why some brands of grit have a picture of a cockatiel or a parakeet on them when it's not good for them.

How is she doing? Is she eating well?
  7. Renae

Renae Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month

Oh wow! :(

I hope that she continues to progress well and makes a speedy recovery. :hug8:
  8. allison

allison Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Allison
    I HATE that grit is still marketed to parrots. The only birds that actually need grit are pigeons and doves. Parrots chew their food!
  9. Thugluvgrl187

Thugluvgrl187 Super Moderator Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Miriam
    Hope the faby continues to improve :hug8:.
  10. FoxersArtist

FoxersArtist Sprinting down the street Rescue Representative

Anna
    Peeps seems to be eating just fine, thankfully. She cuddles even better. :cloud9: I have been giving her a little bit of special attention every morning when I wake up, before I get into the shower and this morning she turned her head all the way upside down so I could rub under her chin. HeHe. Melty, melt, melt.

-Anna
  11. Marlene

Marlene Welcome to the neighborhood! Administrator

Marlene
    I :heart: Peeps. You are an Angel for helping that poor baby Anna. Hugs to you.:hug8::hug8::hug8:
    1 person likes this.
  12. Birdasaurus

Birdasaurus Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Andrea
    Oh Peeps..... :heart::heart::heart:

Keep getting better little girl....you are such a sweetheart!!
    1 person likes this.
  13. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Cruising the avenue

Were pullin for ya Peeps!!!:heart:
  14. HeatherM74

HeatherM74 Jogging around the block

Heather
    sending thoughts out to you Peeps! You keep healing you beautiful little budgie you! :heart:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)