• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wrong sex

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This is my new edition DNA tested male canary. View attachment 296009 View attachment 296010
He is GORGEOUS!

I LOVE canaries (and all finches!).

I don't know if it is the same for nowadays as I haven't had canaries since I was a teenager (29 now), but red factor canaries (all red canaries) need to eat red-dyed foods to stay red. They wont produce red chicks unless they're all fed red-dyed foods. Red seeds, red pellets, etc.

If you were like me, you would get them in and not feed them red dyed foods because dyes are not precisely healthy for them. If you choose this your canary will turn a pink color and stay a saffron-pink color, perhaps with whites or browns more visible as he molts and with age. But the vibrant red will fade with new molts. Within a year of no dyes, your canary will be an obvious different color.

Just a heads up :)

Unless things are different now and they have somehow come up with a true red factor canary that is not based on diet.

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
He is GORGEOUS!

I LOVE canaries (and all finches!).

I don't know if it is the same for nowadays as I haven't had canaries since I was a teenager (29 now), but red factor canaries (all red canaries) need to eat red-dyed foods to stay red. They wont produce red chicks unless they're all fed red-dyed foods. Red seeds, red pellets, etc.

If you were like me, you would get them in and not feed them red dyed foods because dyes are not precisely healthy for them. If you choose this your canary will turn a pink color and stay a saffron-pink color, perhaps with whites or browns more visible as he molts and with age. But the vibrant red will fade with new molts. Within a year of no dyes, your canary will be an obvious different color.

Just a heads up :)

Unless things are different now and they have somehow come up with a true red factor canary that is not based on diet.
The stuff I got has red beta carotene with vitamins in it just to help supplement anything they don’t get from their food. I made sure if the ingredients because I know there’s stuff out there that’s harmful like you said.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
What a beautiful bird. I had a green normal parakeet, cere was blue. 20 years later "he" got egg bound. What a shock, bird lived til she was 22. Good ole Buddy. Will never forget her, my first bird.

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
What a beautiful bird. I had a green normal parakeet, cere was blue. 20 years later "he" got egg bound. What a shock, bird lived til she was 22. Good ole Buddy. Will never forget her, my first bird.
Poor thing but at least she had a very good long life.