• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wow...poppers flew! First time in 8 years!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Many of you know poppers can't fly. Since I have had her 8 years now as her 3rd parront, she has never flown.
It concerned me after a year that I had her, she'd try but crash land. That when I took her to vet to find out reason. Apparently when she was young, she damaged her wing which never healed properly. The vet thought perhaps she also hit hard on her keel back then. ( from previous owners) because her muscle tone up side from keel is weak, and appears scarred. So she never flew in 8 years I had her.
I have over the past year been exercising her wing. When she's in the mood. She'll let me touch her anywhere, so I carefully extend her wing, talking to her, watching her expression.
If she reaches back, which she'll do slowly, and put her beak on my thumb, not bitting, then put her foot on my thumb and push it away slowly saying nooooo. That's my cue not to push any farther. Poppers has never ever been clipped.
At nite, she'll let me massage under her wing, and just run the muscles lightly.

Well tonite I got a surprise....she flew from perch to table, just a few feet, but did so with an ok landing. She was pretty proud of it I must say..
Like a kid learning to ride a bike. It's a big step!
I don't think she'll ever get to flying long distance but that was surely a start tonite. And she flew upward from perch.
I'm overwhelmed with joy, even my wife was really surprised! She's like " michael...she flew! Yeay!!! "
IMG_20190714_103839_burst_01.jpg IMG_20190714_103735_burst_01.jpg

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good for Poppers!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That is excellent!

I imagine you must be as proud of her as she is of herself.......I am really happy for you both :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Good for you Michael and Yaaaay for Poppers!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s wonderful!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Incredible!!! Go Poppers!!! It just goes to show, never give up hope ❤❤❤

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good girl Poppers!
:ygg:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Good job Poppers!

You might even be in for further developments in her confidence and personality as she learns how to take control of her own body for short flies! When she can consistently fly a couple of feet, might be time to practice flying to cage or tree stand (from you) once a day. And when that's mastered, flying to you from the cage a few months down the road! I mention it because for the birbs at our house, with flap privileges comes responsibility of learning where is the safe places to land (cages, T-stand, tree gym, mounted perches, etc.). The real joy is when they start exploring their own navigation between the safe spots in the house. :D So many possibilities for your flock! I'm so excited for you as you explore this space!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Yayyy Poppers! I think being the Celebirdy has gone to her head, so she’s pulling out all the stops!:joyful:

This really is great news Michael, very happy for you both

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Good for you Michael and Yaaaay for Poppers!
A lot of consistent work with her wing...but surely impressed!
Good job Poppers!

You might even be in for further developments in her confidence and personality as she learns how to take control of her own body for short flies! When she can consistently fly a couple of feet, might be time to practice flying to cage or tree stand (from you) once a day. And when that's mastered, flying to you from the cage a few months down the road! I mention it because for the birbs at our house, with flap privileges comes responsibility of learning where is the safe places to land (cages, T-stand, tree gym, mounted perches, etc.). The real joy is when they start exploring their own navigation between the safe spots in the house. :D So many possibilities for your flock! I'm so excited for you as you explore this space!

Good job Poppers!

It's been an upward battle in doing range of motion exercises on her wing.
She's 14 now, and over the years her coincidence has been low. I think she knew she had wing issues and quit trying after several failed attempts in past.
But working with vets advice based on her Xrays and weakness in that side, as well as some pretty good community parrot clubs with people that have had parrots a long time. I took advice on exercising her wing.
Now it helps that Grayson (My grey) can fly upstairs and down the stairs, hover, turn on a dime, and land gracefully. She watched him.
And has tried a few times to match him,but can't.
She stretches her wings, her one wing always hangs much lower, as if she can't raise it fully.
So a little manual stretching exercise helped.I
She's pretty good at letting me touch her wing and underneath it as well. But moods apply here.
She will tell me if it's too much or uncomfortable.
She'll grab my hand softly and push it away, saying " nooo...blah blah..daddy!?! " And that's my cue to stop. And just say ok sweety, well stop now...and she gives a kiss on my lip.
So it's work in progress. She's a beautiful tolerant bird to handle the wing exercises. Not many birds will let you do that. Unless you have an exceptional bond of trust. And poppers is an exception with that beautiful trust.
I don't expect her to fly much or far, it's the confidence built up in her to know hey I can try.
And not fall. That has to be scary.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's great!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How wonderful for her (and you!) to have achieved the flight. No matter how far, it is such a huge accomplishment from not flying at all, isn't it? This is SO great! We can all celebrate this milestone. :super::bounce8::cantwait::goodjob:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Congratulations big green Poppers. Be safe when you decide to fly again.