• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wow. I have no words !

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So I have an interesting story.

As you know, I've recently brought home english budgies, and I'm working on downsizing my current flock of the small guys and only keeping my Fallow pairs.

I had a very "interesting" family come by last night to have a look at my available birds. Lets just say that these people seemed to have come from the deep woods of redneck-ville, and lacked a lot of social skills. There was a mother, father, and their son who appeared to be around 30 years old. (He still lives with his parents)

The son wanted two birds, preferably a male and a female....which is my first red light indicator. I never sell a male and female together, especially to people who have already told me that this is the first time having birds.

Second red light indicator, he started asking me about food and what to feed them (Which is a good thing, i like when people as questions) but when he asked "Can they eat kibble?", I immediately decided that none of my birds are going to go home with these people.

And the third red light indicator which was the nail in the coffin: He told me that he didn't have a bird cage, but he did have a dog crate and he was going to wrap chicken wire around it so they couldn't get out.

Needless to say, I was trying to be polite and shoo them out of my house with no birds. I told him that before buying a bird, he needed to do a LOT more research, get a proper cage, food, toys, ect... Then the whole family went off on me. Calling me names, bashing my work, telling me my birds were ugly anyways, and they would spread the word of how much my aviary sucked.

LOL. Go ahead, folks of the wilderness, do your worst. I don't give a crap about your opinions. What I do care about is the welfare of ever single one of my birds.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Wow they have no shame do they,it just makes me so mad!!!!

There was a pet store employee said to me someone wanted to buy budgies and keep them In a hamster cage??? They refused to sell them..

Least your birdies are safe, I hope this doesn't happen often!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Wow they have no shame do they,it just makes me so mad!!!!

There was a pet store employee said to me someone wanted to buy budgies and keep them In a hamster cage??? They refused to sell them..

Least your birdies are safe, I hope this doesn't happen often!

Thankfully this is only the 3rd time I've had to say NO to someone.

For the record, I have no issues with people buying budgies as first time pets, since as we all know, hand tame budgies make amazing pets! And I have no issues answering a million questions from first time owners, as they are just trying to learn and be the best owner possible. I even have two documents that I send home with new owners that they can reference back to if they feel embarrassed about asking me even more questions.

Thankfully, I think I've only ever turned away three people/families.
One guy wanted a male and female, three months old for breeding. ACH!
One family wanted a bird for their three year old child....who was very grabby and not gentle and I feared for the birds life, ending in being loved too much...aka, being squeezed to death
And now this crazy family...

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I agree budgies are great first time birds! They're not as fussy as their cousins and easier in comparison (in most ways, still just as messy).

Three families isn't bad, it's a shame that people just see these birds to breed carelessly but I also believe it's a lack of education on some peoples behalf. The parents may have thought it as a nice idea but in reality definitely not. As for the recent family they just shock me, to have that little regard....

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
This was wild from start to finish! :eek: Jeez. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the "logic" of surrounding a dog crate with chicken wire..

I'm so glad your feathered friends have someone like you to make sure they're only going to safe, loving homes! :hug8:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It's good that you stood your ground. I've had to do the same with some pups years back - it was tough. "I'm sorry you came all this way... there aren't any puppies for you here."

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Thankfully this is only the 3rd time I've had to say NO to someone.

For the record, I have no issues with people buying budgies as first time pets, since as we all know, hand tame budgies make amazing pets! And I have no issues answering a million questions from first time owners, as they are just trying to learn and be the best owner possible. I even have two documents that I send home with new owners that they can reference back to if they feel embarrassed about asking me even more questions.

Thankfully, I think I've only ever turned away three people/families.
One guy wanted a male and female, three months old for breeding. ACH!
One family wanted a bird for their three year old child....who was very grabby and not gentle and I feared for the birds life, ending in being loved too much...aka, being squeezed to death
And now this crazy family...
One of the ladies who works @ my hairdresser was interested in getting a baby gcc from me. She's nice and I didn't have a problem until she told me that they used to have a budgie. She has a young mentally handicapped niece who squashed it and killed it when it bit her. Fortunately, I hadn't agreed or said I had any little ones.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Mercy, it's creepy to picture that when they began bashing you they were in your territory (physically)!

I am SO glad they're gone, and they can take their threats with them! UGHHHH!!!