• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you you buy a hybrid?

Would you buy a hybrid?

• NO I wouldn't.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • YES I would.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • MAYBE, depending on cost.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • MAYBE, depending on what it looks like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MAYBE, depending on what the mix is.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • NO, I do not support breeders that do this.

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ohhh boy. That's awful, because the owners are ending up with *problems* and they were unaware. Not the rescue's fault I guess, if they didn't know....but sad.

It was the rescue that discovered what health issues these hybrids have... but they didn't know what the hybrids *were*. I have an idea of roughly what they are myself, but even I don't know how many gens they are or exactly what percentage of what species they contain. They are probably mostly 2-5 generations of hybrids? Not sure if there are any first gen hybrids. Since they are all a mix-mash of two, possibly three species, it's even harder to say exactly what they are. (i.e. 25/75? 25/25/50? or?)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It was the rescue that discovered what health issues these hybrids have... but they didn't know what the hybrids *were*. I have an idea of roughly what they are myself, but even I don't know how many gens they are or exactly what percentage of what species they contain. They are probably mostly 2-5 generations of hybrids? Not sure if there are any first gen hybrids. Since they are all a mix-mash of two, possibly three species, it's even harder to say exactly what they are. (i.e. 25/75? 25/25/50? or?)
Yes I’d say we are looking at 3 generations. I don’t know conures so I don’t have a clue what they are. They were all allowed to breed indiscriminately.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sun, hahns and possibly jenday...

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I know we've come a long way in genetics but research on parrots have only really been for the last 50 years. We've bred our dogs to the point some of them can't reproduce naturally. I enjoy my yorkie as he is man made. The dogs that originally made up the yorkie are no longer in existence.

When plant breeders breed plants that will be more repellant to insects, we eat that repellent along with the food. It's still an insecticide although more natural.

Man should not mess with nature. When we started killing off the honey bees (original bees from Europe were very tame) the honey bees were a little more aggressive (we cross bred the European with the North American which is what we have now). Now that we are killing off the honey bees, a new bee has arrived, the killer bee. Each time we mess with nature, she comes back with some other type of fury. Mother Nature doesn't mess around.