• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you you buy a hybrid?

Would you buy a hybrid?

• NO I wouldn't.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • YES I would.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • MAYBE, depending on cost.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • MAYBE, depending on what it looks like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MAYBE, depending on what the mix is.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • NO, I do not support breeders that do this.

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't think I will be buying any more birds. And since my birds of choice are Timnehs, it's unlikely they would be hybrids, unless crossed with a CAG and still TAG sized. But it's possible. I would not turn away a compatible bird in need, if and when the time came that I could take another in, based on genetics. But no, I don't think they should be purposely crossed.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I am also at my limit but depending on the bird I would take a hybrid. One of my first birds was a nanday halfmoon hybrid. Now what was interesting was that he was a very moody, sometimes super aggressive bird. I had him from a baby and gave him everything all my other birds had. It is not often posted but it has been observed that hybrids can have higher disposition to behavior issues. I have known several hybrids of dif genuses with no issues but also seem evidence to support it. A couple of years ago I was tempted with a galarella (galah/corella) hybrid. Was gorgeous and sweet

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Our local rescue has a slew of hybrid conures. They’re from a lady who let them breed and breed and breed, then dumped 40 hybrid untame conures on the shelter.

Not the best situation. I do not care for hybrid breeding on purpose, especially indiscriminate, purposeless I’ll-stick-them-together and see-what-happens breeding. I would not cross breed, would work hard to keep separate species apart that could hybridize, and can’t imagine purchasing a hybrid (but never say never! Some of those macaws....)

Would I rescue a hybrid? Probably, though that wouldn’t be my first choice.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I would adopt a hybrid, or maybe get one from a breeder if the bird and I liked each other, but I really wouldn't want to breed one myself. Sometimes I will let my society finches breed, and in a mixed aviary, I can very easily see how 'accidents' can happen. Societies are definitely not picky about parters, and they can interbreed with a pretty huge amount of species.

Heres a quote from FinchInfo.com: "Society finches have hybridized with many other species, including: cut-throats (Amadina fasciata) red-faced parrotfinches (Erythrura psittacea), red-cheeked cordon bleus (Uraeginthus bengala), the Madagascar munia (Lemuresthes nana), plum-headed finch (Neochmia modesta), star finch (N. ruficauda), Java sparow (Padda oryzivora), long-tailed finch (Poephila acuticauda), black-throated finch (P. cincta), masked finch (P. personata), diamond firetail (Stagonopleura guttata), owl finch (Taeniopygia bichenovii), zebra finch (T. guttata), and many of the Lonchura species including: Bengalese munia (L. acuticauda), black-and-white munia (L. bicolor), African silverbill (L. cantans), chestnut-breasted munia (L. castaneothorax), bronze munia (L. cucullata), chestnut munia (L. ferruginosa), yellow-rumped munia (L. flaviprymna), magpie munia (L. fringilloides), dusky munia (L. fuscans), grey-headed silverbill (L. griseicapilla), black-throated munia (L. kelaarti), white-bellied munia (L. leucogastra), Javan munia (L. leucogastroides), white-headed munia (L. maja), white-throated silverbill (L. malabarica), Indian black-headed munia (L. malacca), grey-crowned munia (L. nevermanni), brown-backed munia (L. nigriceps), scaly-breasted munia (L. punctulata), white-rumped munia (L. striata), black munia (L. stygia), and black-breasted munia (L. teerinki). Therefore, be careful to avoid cross breeding your society finches."

...I mean seriously! And these are the confirmed hybrids!

Also, society finches are really the only truly domesticated finch species (except for possibly zebras), and I see no reason to dilute their domestication. Compared to other finches, societies are very docile and suited to captivity, and I see no reason to chance that by mixing their genes with other more skittish species.

Our local rescue has a slew of hybrid conures. They’re from a lady who let them breed and breed and breed, then dumped 40 hybrid untame conures on the shelter.

:eek: Thats horrible!!! I had to deal with something similar once, though it was hamsters and inbreeding.:(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've always heard that hybrids are generally supposed to be healthier, but if the species are not compatible it produces weaker, more sickly offspring that would not be viable in the wild. Just because some species look similar doesn't mean they are compatible & I have heard more bad things than good about the health of avian hybrids and even mutations. I would not seek out a breeder for a certain colored bird; color is not what I look for in any animal aside from fish. The idea of a breeding for temperament is news to me but does sound appealing as long as the breeders were also being equally selective about the parents' health. :)

Those things aside, when we got an email from a lady needing to rehome per macaw, we took Buzz in without asking what kind he was. We weren't familiar with macaws but we agreed to give it a shot and do the best we could to give this bird a good home. So far he is the only macaw either of us has even met, but I'm willing to bet that he's as sound as any purebred macaw. Miligolds seem fairly common, so perhaps B&G and Militaries are compatible, but I don't know why anyone would cross the two; his coloring is more muddled (blended?) than either original.

We love him regardless of his genes not because of them. :heart2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At this point, I wouldn't intentionally seek out a hybrid to buy, but if one needed a home and we simply clicked, I would not be against adding the hybrid to my flock. In fact, hybrids intrigue me!

Hybrid Parrots | Flickr

That said, I would prefer it if people did not hybridize parrots... although I know many occur unintentionally. If they are going to hybridizie them, then I would prefer the hybrids to be as healthy as possible and clearly look like hybrids. That is, the parent species are closely enough related that there are no health issues in offspring *AND* the offspring do not look like either parent.

Some conure and macaw hybrids (separate hybrids) can look a lot like a particular species so as to be confused for the pure species.

And... as mentioned by Lois, a lot of people have probably purchased hybrids without even being aware of it! Green cheek conures, yellow headed amazons, sulphur crested cockatoos, senegals, eclectus... many of these guys have various subspecies. Many people are against the hybridization of the various eclectus subspecies. If it's not an eclectus?!?!?! Nobody cares...

I don't think I will be buying any more birds. And since my birds of choice are Timnehs, it's unlikely they would be hybrids, unless crossed with a CAG and still TAG sized. But it's possible. I would not turn away a compatible bird in need, if and when the time came that I could take another in, based on genetics. But no, I don't think they should be purposely crossed.
What about a Grey x Poi hybrid??? ;)

Not the best situation. I do not care for hybrid breeding on purpose, especially indiscriminate, purposeless I’ll-stick-them-together and see-what-happens breeding. I would not cross breed, would work hard to keep separate species apart that could hybridize, and can’t imagine purchasing a hybrid (but never say never! Some of those macaws....)

Would I rescue a hybrid? Probably, though that wouldn’t be my first choice.
If these are the hybrids that I think they are... I feel really bad for these birds... so many health issues! And who knows how much is due to being hybrids vs poor care! From what I gather, they were not intentional at first, but after it happened, it became a project of hers. Then she got sick, couldn't care for her flock, and dumped the birds... right after people started going nuts about what the conures were.

I've always heard that hybrids are generally supposed to be healthier, but if the species are not compatible it produces weaker, more sickly offspring that would not be viable in the wild. Just because some species look similar doesn't mean they are compatible & I have heard more bad things than good about the health of avian hybrids and even mutations. I would not seek out a breeder for a certain colored bird; color is not what I look for in any animal aside from fish. The idea of a breeding for temperament is news to me but does sound appealing as long as the breeders were also being equally selective about the parents' health. :)

Those things aside, when we got an email from a lady needing to rehome per macaw, we took Buzz in without asking what kind he was. We weren't familiar with macaws but we agreed to give it a shot and do the best we could to give this bird a good home. So far he is the only macaw either of us has even met, but I'm willing to bet that he's as sound as any purebred macaw. Miligolds seem fairly common, so perhaps B&G and Militaries are compatible, but I don't know why anyone would cross the two; his coloring is more muddled (blended?) than either original.

We love him regardless of his genes not because of them. :heart2:

Ya, it really depends on the hybrids. There are *many* healthy hybrids out there! But there are some hybrids that have been born with birth defects. These are usually in birds who's parents aren't that closely related... even seen in some multi-gen hybrid macaws. (despite the fact that the hybrids with these issues all belong to the same genera)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So society finches are frisky little dudes lol.

If the parrot was a rescue and we clicked I would take them home in a second big beak and all my husband can deal with it later lol.

I would not go looking for a hybrid from a breeder though. I know peachies mix and mingle in the wild but they are also vicious little boogers too.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Now I did read an article a couple of years ago about how hybrid birds would be a way to bypass the state laws that ban sales of certain species in different states. Right now I could not buy a Buffon macaw in Oklahoma and have shipped to me in Texas. But I could buy a Buffwing Hybrid and have that shipped to me from out of state.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've always heard that hybrids are generally supposed to be healthier
Yes, this is called hybrid vigor and is generally the case. When you open up the potential of mates when breeding into a different species, you generally get a wider array of genetics to choose from.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I decided that I love macaws, regardless of the paint job. That being said, there are some that are...less appealing to me. I prefer camelots, capris, paleos, tropicanas, some shamrocks, and verdes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I decided that I love macaws, regardless of the paint job. That being said, there are some that are...less appealing to me. I prefer camelots, capris, paleos, tropicanas, some shamrocks, and verdes.
Cockatoo woman here and I can't say that I would have any problem with any kind of Cockatoo hybrid...they are all wonderful in my eyes! LOL!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I am glad someone mentioned the green cheeks in this. If you look at articles and books from 70s and 80s, they talk about the different subspecies. I think there are 6. At that time breeders kept them separate as best they could. Now look at them, all mixed. So you cant really say you wouldn't buy a hybrid when most in captivity are a mix of the subspecies. This of course happens with lots of birds and am using the green cheek as an example as they are so popular and not really bred true.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
There are also about six Meyer subspecies I believe, there are Some people in the Netherlands who still try to breed them purely but a lot of them have stopped trying because iT is pretty hard to identify the separate subspecies. There are also teo subspecies of the peachfaced lovebird but I never really found a clear picture that showed a difference between the two, so my guess is they are all mingled up as well.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
It seems that there are only certain parrots with subspecies that incite people to ask for breeding true (ie greys, eclectus, rainbow lories and such) While others get no attention. Usually because there is no huge visual difference.