• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you you buy a hybrid?

Would you buy a hybrid?

• NO I wouldn't.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • YES I would.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • MAYBE, depending on cost.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • MAYBE, depending on what it looks like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MAYBE, depending on what the mix is.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • NO, I do not support breeders that do this.

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GBG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glenys Greaves
I am interested to know how many people would buy a hybrid. I know it is shunned upon; but there are hybrids being bred by breeders; and there is a small amount that occurs in the wild. I am just curious as to what people think about it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Would I go out and buy a baby purposely bred hybrid? No. An adult rehome that I clicked with that happened to be a hybrid? Yes.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This is a controversial topic in aviculture. It's akin to making political statements. I have a 3rd generation scarlet hybrid (capri) who I bought as a weaned baby after my scarlet passed unexpectedly. I fell in love with her and took her home.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Would I go out and buy a baby purposely bred hybrid? No. An adult rehome that I clicked with that happened to be a hybrid? Yes.
Ditto.

But I also don't see myself every buying a baby bird from a breeder, so... yeah. :o:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ditto.

But I also don't see myself every buying a baby bird from a breeder, so... yeah. :o:

That is true. I did it once with Jingo... I love my blue devil but there is a reason I call him that :lol: All my adult rehomes have been a lot easier, so I am similarly biased.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I am interested to know how many people would buy a hybrid. I know it is shunned upon; but there are hybrids being bred by breeders; and there is a small amount that occurs in the wild. I am just curious as to what people think about it.
Speaking of Hybrid...Your/The Rosie in your Avatar looks to be a cross between a Little Corella and Galah , or possibly it's the lighting ? :joyful:
I'm on the fence about it either way:unsure:

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I fell in love with a little Corella/Sulfer Crest once. I'm still bummed that I didn't take the chance to buy him. I honestly see absolutely nothing wrong with buying a hybrid. I'm of the thought that we should really be breeding parrots for temperament rather than color, but that's a whole different conversation.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I fell in love with a little Corella/Sulfer Crest once. I'm still bummed that I didn't take the chance to buy him. I honestly see absolutely nothing wrong with buying a hybrid. I'm of the thought that we should really be breeding parrots for temperament rather than color, but that's a whole different conversation.

The late Jim Murphy of White Mountain Bird Farm did, but his program was discontinued upon his death. He selected for talking ability, docility, comfort in the human environment, and non-pluckers. Steve Hartman also did this, but not to the same degree; he's nearing retirement. I don't really know of anyone currently doing this. Many aviculturists are happy to have a male paired with a female.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
If a bird needed a home and I had room for another bird I'd adopt a hybrid. If I went looking for a bird to adopt I wouldn't specifically seek one out but ones who have already been bred need homes and love too.

I'd probably take the bird for more vet visits than I usually would just to ensure nothing bad is going on inside him due to his genetics.

Sort of off topic but in the tarantula hobby if you breed hybrids the people in the hobby will shun you. They're all about breeding healthy and viable spiders to produce the next spider generation. Taranutlas are a lot easier to care for than birds and people who own them often own hundreds of healthy, well cared for spiders with no issues so there's never really any unwater spider babies

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I do not have any issues with purchasing a hybrid, unless one of the species were endangered. Then I do have a problem with that. I do think that it is an issue and can water down the genes, but it is so widespread that this would be a losing battle. You cannot help who you fall in love with, parrots are the same!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The late Jim Murphy of White Mountain Bird Farm did, but his program was discontinued upon his death. He selected for talking ability, docility, comfort in the human environment, and non-pluckers. Steve Hartman also did this, but not to the same degree; he's nearing retirement. I don't really know of anyone currently doing this. Many aviculturists are happy to have a male paired with a female.
Exactly! I’ve never heard of Jim Murphy but I am aware of Steve. I think it’s great when breeders try to get a better parrot who will do better in our living room. I do agree that we should be more careful with species who are endangered. Obviously, for endangered species, we want to pair them with their own species whenever possible.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I do not have any issues with purchasing a hybrid, unless one of the species were endangered. Then I do have a problem with that. I do think that it is an issue and can water down the genes, but it is so widespread that this would be a losing battle. You cannot help who you fall in love with, parrots are the same!
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
No, I would never buy a hybrid. I do not support hybridization in general and would be loath to even buy a non-hybrid from a breeder who sells hybrids.

I'm not so shallow to judge a bird just by its outward appearance, but going off the assumption that most hybridization is done for that sake - I personally think most hybrids either look like a muddied mishmash of colors and/or physically disproportionate. Or they appear so similar to one of the contributing species that I really don't see the point, aesthetically. :bored:

For crying out loud, they're already gorgeous exotic animals. How much more ~*~unique~*~ do they have to be before people are satisfied?

All that said, I do recognize that it's not the bird's fault. As others have stated, should a rehomed hybrid I clicked with need a home I was able to give, I might consider it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I do not buy birds from breeders...and I certainly wouldn't think of buying a hybrid. Nope, no way...:tdown:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I should probably add that if I were to adopt another bird (and that's not likely) and if the bird was a hybrid, it would not make me turn down the bird, just because it was a hybrid. The bird can't help it for being born that way...

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I have an issue with people who present hybrids as the true species. I see a lot of caiques who are obviously hybrids sold as White Bellied Caiques. These people then become hobby breeders and misrepresent their babies, too.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
This is a non-debate because most of us with birds HAVE bought hybrids but we did not know it. I read an obscure article by an African scientist (translated for me by a friend from this scientist's country) who criticized American bird breeders because they indiscriminately mix species when they breeder certain families of birds, usually Senegals, ReBellied, most other Poi species and many other African species kept as pets in other countries other than America. This guy stated that four or five really limited sub-species of Senegals no longer exist in pure form due to this indiscriminate breeding. He was advocating a strict ban on his African nation exporting any birds for the pet trade.

My Sunshine Senegal is an absolutely beautiful bird and is apparently the species equivalent of a mut!

Myself, I have no problem with the breeding of cross species or even subspecies animals. If we are to truly domesticate our birds, we need to pick those birds best able to be domesticated and this will involve much more than just breeding for colors.